Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Vbwjjeep
Registered Member

Getting a protein skimmer into my sump

So I have the issue that I only have about 7" of clearance between the top of the sump and the bottom of the 125 gallon tank. My issue is how to get the skimmer in. I can fit one in there because I have about 26" of room once it's in. The tank is cycling and I should be able to drain the tank slide it a foot. Put the skimmer in then slide it back. My issue is I have seen tanks crack from I suppose twisting in the past. I'm open to many ideas to solve this issue and hopefully people can chime in. Maybe pros and cons to an external skimmer. The likelyhood of the skimmer failing because to get it out I'd have to drain the tank and move it again which can kill things. I'm in a pickle and this is a brand new setup so I'm open to all ideas including removing the 55 gallon sump and putting in a smaller one if it's better in the long run. Thank you to everyone. Oh and the removing the 55 gallon is the last resort because I'd have to drain the tank remove the rock and probably the sand lift the tank remove the sump then put it all back together. It is doable but I'm 2 weeks into the cycle and don't want to wait again haha. But if it's necessary then life goes on. But I'm sure there are alternative options.

Vbwjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 10:10 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

The thing you need to keep in mind is most skimmers need their pumps at about 6-8" deep, which means most of us place them on a riser out of eggcrate or something to raise them up for that level, so yeah, it's even tighter, check for a very low profile I guess or external.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 12:03 AM   #3
slyseekr
Registered Member

Do you have photos of your setup?

The skimmer will need to be cleaned every once in a while, requiring you to remove it from the setup on a semi-regular basis.

Have you considered going with two skimmers with smaller footprints that would be able to squeeze through the available space? I know it's a bit more hassle to clean the collection cups and to tune both units, but it beats having to drain, move and refill every time you need to remove for cleaning.

The only other option I can think of is finding a tank with less height, maybe a 40 breeder, or, even a custom acrylic build? Even if you had to drain the DT, if you keep the water, sand, rocks and refill, you should be able to continue your cycle as planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slyseekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 05:34 AM   #4
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

A pic would help. If you take your skimmer cup off will that not work? Mines tight to even less than you described but i also have a smaller setup and presumably smaller skimmer. I can remove muy chip to clean and if I have to service the unit, i sized my skimmer chamber such that I can rotate it up on its side and slide out the parts, is not ideal but it will work

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Vbwjjeep
Registered Member

I'll try and get some pictures up but the issue isn't height it's the clearance from the 125 gallon into the tank itself. I only have 7 inches to slide it in. I've thought about the tonze skimmer to start. They are slender and good looking. But idk if their biggest one will be good enough for the tank. Any thoughts?

Vbwjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote