Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2007, 10:30 PM   #1
mnestroy
Registered Member

Is there a way to test if your ozone gen. is working?

I have a chaepy Genx Ozone Generator that has a dial on the side, (your turn it, it clicks on, and then its suppose to be 0-250mg/hr)

Is there a way to test that at the lowest setting its giving <10mg/hr and when turned up its giving 250mg?

I suspect the dial is broke and is always giving 250mg... is this possible or has anyone heard of anything like this?

mnestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 02:13 AM   #2
dannieboiz
Registered Member

You sniff it.....

Seriously, just sniff the output it shoud have a weird smell to it. I forgot the exact way to describe it. Smells like you're sniffing a cold breeze if I remember correctly. If you smell nothing different than the air you're breathing then it's not working.

dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 06:42 AM   #3
mnestroy
Registered Member

Well i know its working, but my thinking is my unit is set to full blast regardless of what the dial is set at.

Can u smell a difference between 5mg/hr vs 250mg/hr?

Unread 04/03/2007, 09:49 AM   #4
dannieboiz
Registered Member

should smell the same regardless

dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 11:36 AM   #5
RichConley
Registered Member

Its most likely running full blast all the time. In most of the GenX units, the variable resistor hooked to the knob isnt even connected to anything.

Unread 04/03/2007, 12:57 PM   #6
luke33
Moved On

Turn the dial to low and put the tube up your nose. Time how long it takes for you to pass out. Once you wake up, turn the dial to high, put the tube up your nose, if it takes the same amount of time your dial is broke, if less, its working. If your getting mixed results, keep trying until you find a common occurence and retest. Make sense? Sorry! lol, listen to Mr Franklin.

luke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 01:37 PM   #7
mnestroy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Turn the dial to low and put the tube up your nose. Time how long it takes for you to pass out. Once you wake up, turn the dial to high, put the tube up your nose, if it takes the same amount of time your dial is broke, if less, its working. If your getting mixed results, keep trying until you find a common occurence and retest. Make sense? Sorry! lol, listen to Mr Franklin.

Good idea, I'll test that this evening and get back with you tomorow (if I live, hehe)

What about putting it on a dimmer switch and not providing the unit with a full 120v? would that accomplish same thing?

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:33 AM   #8
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

It would work only if your ozone unit is a filament enclosed in a glass bulb with a gas in it.

If your ozone unit is like most, it has electronics in it that require full voltage. Save the light dimmer for lights.

No it won't work and will fry your ozone unit.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote