Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2016, 07:54 PM   #1326
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post
OK - even without lifting the unit above the water level in the sump it is skimming reasonably well. I just raised it about 2.5 inches with four layers of plastic egg-crate tied together with a Zip tie. This put the bottom edge of the exit out of the skimmer at the same level as the water in the sump and I immediately had to readjust everything. So yeah - it worked. However, I decided to clean out the skimmer cup and I cant get the collection cup lid off. Arggg....

Edit: Well- I had to pull on the casket to get the lid off, the casket tore - I hope that wont effect the performance of the unit. What a pain....
I use a suction cup on my lid when i remove it to give something to pull on. I alos marked the lid and cup so i know when everything is lined up

cas1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 08:06 PM   #1327
acer
Registered Member

That's a great idea.

acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 08:13 PM   #1328
anarchyx914
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I'm an aquac user for over a year now. My skimmer has been working great but recently skimmate and air has started leaking between the rubber seals on the top of the collection cup and where the collection cup meets the body of the skimmer. I have done a thorough cleaning of the skimmer and also made sure there was no gunk on the collection cup elbow or my drain tube as per the suggestion from the manufacturer but I an still getting gunk and air seeping thru the seals.

Does anyone here have any ideas? I am not getting many responses from the manufacturer anymore with further troubleshooting tips.

anarchyx914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 07:33 AM   #1329
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyx914 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm an aquac user for over a year now. My skimmer has been working great but recently skimmate and air has started leaking between the rubber seals on the top of the collection cup and where the collection cup meets the body of the skimmer. I have done a thorough cleaning of the skimmer and also made sure there was no gunk on the collection cup elbow or my drain tube as per the suggestion from the manufacturer but I an still getting gunk and air seeping thru the seals.

Does anyone here have any ideas? I am not getting many responses from the manufacturer anymore with further troubleshooting tips.
air should be able to escape out of the cup as for skimmate you may need to adjust how wet or dry you are running it

Unread 04/10/2017, 07:39 AM   #1330
anarchyx914
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas1069 View Post
air should be able to escape out of the cup as for skimmate you may need to adjust how wet or dry you are running it
I've adjusted the air valve and gate valve every which way and I still keep getting skim mate leaking out of the seals. This thing ran so well for over a year and now I'm about to scrap it and go with something else because I can't fix this issue.

Whats even more frustrating, is that the people @ AquaC are not even responding to questions, my last response was 10 days ago from them.

I have tried cleaning the collection cup and seals daily, ive even pulled the 3/4" tube for collection off of the cup every time and clean that out with high pressure water. I still get air escaping from the skimmer and I can actually feel the air escaping between the seals on the cup/neck and cup/lid.

Thanks to anyone on here who has helpful suggestions to try and resolve this, its getting old waking up every morning to skimmate all over my floor and skimmer.

Unread 04/14/2017, 08:11 AM   #1331
anarchyx914
Registered Member

A quick update.. The only thing in my system that has changed is that I have made a 2" PVC Tee on the pump intake so I can run my biopellet effluent into the pump inlet directly. It seems that this extra gunky biofilm from the biopellets being right into the skimmer pump inlet is what is causing the drain tube to clog up literally daily. I am still getting the seepage between the seals of the skimmer neck and collection cup and also between the seals on the skimmer cup and cup lid.

Not really sure what to do from here, as cleaning the skimmer neck, cup, and drain tube daily is a bit too much work for a skimmer. Its fairly common for biopellet users to try and run the effluent directly into the skimmer intake pump.

Unread 04/15/2017, 06:25 AM   #1332
cas1069
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyx914 View Post
A quick update.. The only thing in my system that has changed is that I have made a 2" PVC Tee on the pump intake so I can run my biopellet effluent into the pump inlet directly. It seems that this extra gunky biofilm from the biopellets being right into the skimmer pump inlet is what is causing the drain tube to clog up literally daily. I am still getting the seepage between the seals of the skimmer neck and collection cup and also between the seals on the skimmer cup and cup lid.

Not really sure what to do from here, as cleaning the skimmer neck, cup, and drain tube daily is a bit too much work for a skimmer. Its fairly common for biopellet users to try and run the effluent directly into the skimmer intake pump.
you may need to run wetter skim with the biopellet as they product lots of gunk

Unread 04/26/2017, 09:31 AM   #1333
TYC
Registered Member

Anyone have experience using the Urchin skimmer?...just got one and wondering what height level do others keep the collection cup, low or high? When I leave it high, sometimes bubbles don't reach and if I lower the cup it seems to collect a lot of water quickly in cup...does it take few days to break in?

TYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 01:05 PM   #1334
smoothmove
Registered Member

I just bought a used ev-400 for $110. I threw the aquas injector into my parts bin. I attached a mazzei 1" injector with a mag drive 18. It works better. It turned the skimmer from mediocre into a skimmer. I have been messing with it and am now impressed.

I am also trying a sedra 5000 needle wheel and that also skims better than the original spray nozzle. Flow is reduced and the column is filled up to the aquac sticker.

I like the design of the skimmer, just want to improve on the performance.

Anyone else try a needle wheel or mods on these skimmers?

Last edited by smoothmove; 08/05/2017 at 03:35 AM.
smoothmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 09:05 PM   #1335
five.five-six
Registered Member

I recently got a used remora body and my cobalt mj1200 showed up today. I don't have the o-ring, should it work without the ring? Also, I'm getting micro-bubbles and not much foam. Does the MJ need to break in before it starts working well?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 07:19 PM   #1336
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

The MJ doesn't need to break in the body of the Remora does though. Without the O-Ring you won't have any adjustability on your skimmate being wet or dry. It's kind of essential IMO.
Micro bubbles and no foam to start are normal. To alleviate the micro bubbles going back into the tank I used the overflow box that Aqua C sells and it did actually work. I can't remember quite how long it took mine to start actually producing skim but I'm thinking somewhere from 5-8 days?

I just got my new one today with the same pump. Unfortunately the tubing was too large for the pump's discharge so I had to cut the supplied 3/4" or 1" tubing and insert a 5/8" tube inside. Cut off about a 1/8" strip right down the 1" tubing lengthwise and then zip tied it with the 5/8" tubing on the inside and works like a charm. The ratchet clamps weren't available locally without ordering off of Amazon so I made do.

One question I have for current owners, the one I owned previously (10 yrs ago) didn't have the drain coming out of the collection cup which this one does. The drain fitting or plug doesn't allow for much raising or lowering of the cup. Has this been an issue for anyone?

sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 03:50 AM   #1337
five.five-six
Registered Member

Well, It took about 10 days to start skimming and it actually does a really nice job. I was going to just to just ditch it but was distracted by my new 135 gallon tank. I noticed a couple days ago that it was skimming quite nicely and the micro bubbles were gone. I have since raised the collection cup and the skimmate is quite gank.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 08/18/2017, 07:21 AM   #1338
ggenung
Registered Member

I thought my first Aqua C was a dud. It took 2 or 3 weeks and then it worked beautifully with little or no adjustment. Before it's broken in, don't try too hard to get bubbles to reach the cup. If you do, when it kicks in it will overflow the cup with a lot of water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ggenung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 07:11 PM   #1339
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Mine's producing already after only 28 hrs of break-in for a brand new Remora Pro and brand new MJ1200. The tank is pretty clean and I keep feeding to a minimum so I'm very happy with the pump and Pro combo together.

Getting nice thick skimmate and very happy I made the plunge again. They guy who owned the tank before me was using a Fluval PS2 mini which is a total piece of junk but it came in the pkg deal for the tank, light, filter, fish and stand. I've worked with some really bad ones before but this Fluval Mini takes the cake. If you breathe, blink, whisper or sneeze plan on spending hours re-adjusting it and getting minimal results, if you're lucky.

Unread 08/24/2017, 01:32 AM   #1340
smoothmove
Registered Member

Converted the EV400 with two needle wheel Sedra 5000. So far loving the results. Not as loud as the injector and a smaller pump.

I tried the Sedra 15000 and two Sedra 5000's. The two sedras work better than the one 15000.

Raised the water level in the skimmer to the bottom of the skimmer cup for contact time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7225.jpg (36.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by smoothmove; 08/24/2017 at 01:45 AM.
smoothmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 04:55 PM   #1341
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Getting really nice (nasty) skimmate now from the Remora. I've ordered the overflow box which should be here within the next few days. I've left the collection cup as low as it would go (because of the drain fitting) and the foam and skim is doing really well now.

Looks like on my 36 gal I may only have to empty once or twice a week at most. Still having some microbubbles but almost non-existant compared to the startup and break in period.

Extremely happy once again, great job Aqua C !

Unread 08/24/2017, 06:15 PM   #1342
desjardinii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmove View Post
Converted the EV400 with two needle wheel Sedra 5000. So far loving the results. Not as loud as the injector and a smaller pump.

I tried the Sedra 15000 and two Sedra 5000's. The two sedras work better than the one 15000.

Raised the water level in the skimmer to the bottom of the skimmer cup for contact time.
That looks good, I might try something similar with an old EV 180 I have. Probably a lot more stable and less sensitive than when using the injector to...

desjardinii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 09:35 PM   #1343
five.five-six
Registered Member

If anyone's interested, I have a remora coming up for sale, upgrading from a 29BC to a 135 peninsula.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 09/04/2017, 06:54 AM   #1344
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

The overflow box has been on for at least a week or so now and not a microbubble in sight anywhere in my tank.

Also does a better job IMO with the surface tension really pulling in the worst of the worst. Going to add the sponge silencer this week and hopefully have my new Rio pump for my sump and then add one more AI Prime HD light and the tank mechanically will be finished.

Unread 09/04/2017, 06:57 AM   #1345
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Good luck with that upgrade five.five-six, going to a bigger tank is so much easier after your setup is done and so much more room to work with.

Unread 09/04/2017, 08:40 AM   #1346
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4rkbyt3 View Post
Good luck with that upgrade five.five-six, going to a bigger tank is so much easier after your setup is done and so much more room to work with.
Thanks, it's almost 2/3 full of RO/DI water as I type. My salt will get here on Wednesday

"I hate that hole"

Unread 09/14/2017, 11:58 AM   #1347
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

So how's the new tank doing? Been working at the local refinery and haven't had much time to get on here.

Unread 09/14/2017, 02:46 PM   #1348
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4rkbyt3 View Post
So how's the new tank doing? Been working at the local refinery and haven't had much time to get on here.
I've had a few setbacks. Used equiptment can be quirky. I've been running salt water in if for 2 weeks now, I'm about to add some chromises gust to get some color in it whil I work things out.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 09/22/2017, 09:35 AM   #1349
dgwkpe
Registered Member

Aqua C EV-400 chamber cleaning?

I have an ev-400 on a 265 gallon FOWLR tank, medium bioload. The pump is a DC12000. I have the air turned all the way up and the gate valve/outlet is above the water line. I have tried the waterlevel inside the skimmer right at the top of the square box and a little above and below.

The problem I have is that within a week I get a very thick layer of skimmate build-up inside the main chamber. It seems that the skimmate doesn't make it to the cup, but rather builds up inside and never allows it to flow to the top.

Any suggestions? When I say thick build-up, I have about 1/8" to 1/4" of skum that has to be scraped off, with maybe a cup of liquid in the top cup (after about 2 weeks or so of skimming.

dgwkpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 07:56 PM   #1350
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I've had a few setbacks. Used equiptment can be quirky. I've been running salt water in if for 2 weeks now, I'm about to add some chromises gust to get some color in it whil I work things out.
Used can be quirky but you'll get the bugs worked out. I've had to remove my Remora and go with a reactor for PhosLock and Carbon. Once I started it up the skimmer was doing removing nothing, nothing to remove lol.

Its off to the side now but there if I need it or go back to it. I think the elevated levels in my salt of Ca 500ppm (Kent Marine) and Kent additives (Elements and Vite) were playing havoc with it so it was removed for the time being and replaced.

My month old tank is doing very well with monti's, gorgonian, goniopora, mushrooms, zoas and just this morning received my rastas which opened up fully within an hour after temp and light acclimation. Shipped from Washington state to MD overnight.

Chromises are a great break in fish, much better than the satanic damsels they use to recommend lol. Don't dwell on your setbacks, they're temporary and minor .