Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2015, 02:29 PM   #101
homer1475
Registered Member

I was joking by the way. Don't think it came across that way? I did add I'm adding one in my biocube too? And I totally agree with you, as long as he's fat and happy, I am too.

TTM in 5 gallon buckets is so super simple, its probably the only reason I didn't mind buying the new one with ich already. In the 2 times I've done it now(this makes 3), I never have seen any ammonia problems. I don't think their in the bucket long enough to have a problem, although I've read of people that do.

The only thing I do different in TTM then in my QT or DT, I buy super cheap salt (pet smart has top fin, 10$ makes 50 gallons) instead of using the expensive reef crystals(30$ for 50 gallons). I figure the cheap stuff is OK for just fish, and seems like a huge waste of expensive salt dumping out 20 gallons during the entire process.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2015, 02:39 PM   #102
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I was joking by the way. Don't think it came across that way? I did add I'm adding one in my biocube too? And I totally agree with you, as long as he's fat and happy, I am too.

The only thing I do different in TTM then in my QT or DT, I buy super cheap salt (pet smart has top fin, 10$ makes 50 gallons) instead of using the expensive reef crystals(30$ for 50 gallons). I figure the cheap stuff is OK for just fish, and seems like a huge waste of expensive salt dumping out 20 gallons during the entire process.
LOL no you're good. I just have internal conversations with myself and went back and forth mentally to other threads on ways that I could jokingly /sarcastically respond to your joke and gave up before saying something rash (but definitely not directed at you.).

Honestly I wouldn't even buy cheap salt. if/when I do it, I'll just use tank water and basically it'll be my tank's lucky day (weeks). Lots of water changes!

Glad your new angel is doing well. Keep him fat and happy so he doesn't go after any of your corals. Such a concern with these centropygae fishes. I got lucky adopting (buying) one from someone breaking down their tank who had it a long time and never saw it eat corals.

One day once I have a giant 200+ gallon sps tank, I'll have angels and butterflies and not care about them picking on or eating sps because there will be too many acros for them to make a dent in. And I'll still keep them well fed

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 08:56 PM   #103
ReefWreak
Registered Member

A quick shot of the gold and green/purple torch and anchor/hammer corals. The gold was really shrunken up the first week or two, now it's nice and happy, and I think the clowns are taking to it like an anemone. They're picking at the rock under it like they're going to lay there too, so that would be neat. And it's right in front, so I can take videos (though I need to work on my color correction first).

Also a quick pic of the platygyra's recovery, the rics, and the clams:

Unread 07/24/2015, 09:01 PM   #104
soulpatch
Registered Member

Very cool

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 09:10 PM   #105
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks. I know I haven't posted pics of the gold yet. When the lights are on full tomorrow or sunday I'll post more interesting pics.

I've started vodka dosing, 1mL of vodka per day, dosed with the lights on. I'm also running the Tunze 9001 for a while to see how it goes. I've been disappointed in my Aquaticlife recently, but I think it's just jammed up with crap, so I'm cleaning it and trying the Tunze only.

Unread 07/24/2015, 09:13 PM   #106
soulpatch
Registered Member

I need to vinegar dip my skimmer this week. Its production has diminished

Unread 07/30/2015, 07:45 AM   #107
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quick updates:

Vodka dosing is going well. I overdose almost every day though, because it's a pain to pour exactly mL of vodka out of a handle (1.5L), so I probably end up adding 2mL. I actually had a bloom that populated the glass with white bacteria (it was like the haze of algae, but it was all white, and when I brushed it with my flipper cleaner, it turned into strings). pH also has taken a nose dive from the blooms, with the high point in the afternoon barely cracking 8, so I'm going to start switching to dosing every other day.

I also started dosing Microbacter7 yesterday. I'll dose that every other day with the vodka (or I may stop dosing vodka entirely, we'll see).

The Tunze 9001, I just can't get it to skim dry. Maybe I have to give it more time and raise it higher. I raised it again this morning, and moved it to the socket that used to be my refugium light. I'm going to try skimming for 12-14 hours a day instead of 24/7. I'll use it at night to keep the pH high, and have it off during the day to keep nutrients in suspension.

I'm also getting STN on my ORA Joe the Coral. It's a shame, but it's why I'm going to start cutting back on dosing. Everything else is going well.

Just a reminder, I never really had any nitrates show up on testing (API kit), I just had a brown out after my vortech went out, and I'm trying to expedite recovery of colors through stripping of nutrients. Growth has been continuing just fine, I just don't want brown, and my corals have been bright and colorful before the vortech issue. I appreciate that there is no direct causation between nutrients and color, it's one of the many variables that can impact color, but I'm going to try that route first anyway. Maybe I'll just get pale brown sticks. I don't think so though, as I'm getting color recovery in my ponape birdsnest. We shall see.

Also, I found alkalinity solution all in the bottom of my stand this morning, but none on the hoses or pump, so my container might be leaking or something. I'll have to tear the stand apart tonight (not literally, I'll just have to take everything out of it, wipe it all down, and find the source of the leak).

Always something. I shouldn't be playing around with the system as much as I am...

Unread 07/30/2015, 08:35 AM   #108
soulpatch
Registered Member

Glad it wasn't just me with the tunze though I had hoped it was my lack of ATO causing the problems for me. Looks like it is actually the unit.

As for dosing be careful with over doing it. It can cause some issues and blooms that will affect your corals. If I were you I would merely pour a shot of vodka then syringe from there so you can get an exact amount. Or get a dosing cup. I have one that came with my red sea no pox and it works great for me to measure out the 3ml I need daily.

Like you I need time to rip into my system tonight as I have to get my ATO back online. I took it offline last week when it went hectic and honestly have not gotten around to looking at it since I have been back. Though it will be a tough fit as I need to repair a dishwasher tonight before the wife kills me and get ready for the beach tomorrow for a long weekend...

Unread 07/30/2015, 05:44 PM   #109
homer1475
Registered Member

I'm going to to start dosing nopox, I just can't seem to get my nitrates under control, even doing 10G water changes weekly. I'm almost positive its just me overfeeding, but I'm not sure. I've stopped dumping the container from feeding the sun coral into the tank at night, and switched to feeding fish once a day, and the entire tank (reef chilli, reef frenzy, and kent microvert) to twice a week. I hate spot feeding, so I just broadcast feed the entire tank, besides if I didn't my cleaner shrimp rips food bits out of the corals mouths which can't be good long term for the corals.

I've read a bit about using vinegar or vodka, just not 100% sure about dumping those products into my tank.

Unread 07/30/2015, 06:03 PM   #110
ReefWreak
Registered Member

hehe, I got home, checked then 9001, and remarked at how much drier it was skimming now that I adjusted it upwards this morning.... then I realized that it didn't run all day because it will only run at night now. pH is taking a hit though, it's only at around 8.07 or so.

Yeah, I'm going to chill on the vodka (for the tank). I did add more MB7 and AcroPower today. Those can only hurt in nutrient addition, not subtraction. Maybe I'll do vodka twice a week and MB7 every other day? Dunno, we'll see.

Yeah homer, the dosing of any of these will definitely make a difference, just go slowly, follow the guidelines, and don't hesitate to take a break if at any point you are feeling uncomfortable with the results. Instead of doing nopox, I'm just doing vodka + bacteria. The vodka will reduce nitrates (and ideally phosphates), and the bacteria will (ideally) outcompete the cyanobacteria for any residual nutrients.

Vodka has been done a LOT, and is safe, but follow the guidelines and recommendations, and GO SLOWLY.

In case you haven't hit the threads yet, there are some great articles and threads on the dosing of vodka (and sometimes bacteria as well), including a great article.

Really, the limitations to doing this in nanos has been the lack of skimming for the removal for additional bacteria. With my experience this far (at least with the AC115) I feel comfortable that there is sufficient skimming available in nanos today (there wasn't when I started).

Another hehe/aside, I was actively involved in that original vodka dosing thread from back in 2007/2008

Unread 07/31/2015, 07:13 AM   #111
soulpatch
Registered Member

the nopox will handle your nitrates homer. I overfeed frequently with a toddler and wife who dont get how much to put in the tank and the nopox keeps everything in check for me. I have not had the need to go vinegar or vodka since using nopox which is really a mix of the two anyway.

Unread 08/01/2015, 09:04 AM   #112
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I told you guys I'd break the skimmer in!

And here's how:

Water line is about 1/3-1/2" underneath the recommended one. It still will fill within a week certainly, but probably 3-4 days, even with the dryer skimming and running only 12-14 hours a night (at night only, no skimmer in the day now).

Unread 08/01/2015, 09:47 AM   #113
BarryV
Registered Member

ReefWreak i have had my 9001 for several months and it works great. And yes there is a break in
time. I think mine took a week or so.
Barry

BarryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2015, 09:49 AM   #114
soulpatch
Registered Member

I didn't have an ato which was my problem but I could never get it dialed in even when manually topping off. Glad you got it going reef.

I still need to clean my aquamaxx a it has declined production recently though it also has not had vinegar bath in the 8 months I owned it

Unread 08/01/2015, 07:25 PM   #115
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I think it was broken in because I got it from soulpatch who I'm sure broke it in plenty. I think that it's more a function of figuring out the right water level for it to operate properly.

As a quick update, I found that one of the water containers that I was using for 2 part started leaking in one of the corners, so it spilled probably 50mL or so of alkalinity solution all over the bottom of the stand. Good excuse to clean up the stand bottom, but kind of annoying. I went out and bought a new gallon of water that didn't have a crunched up corner and just moved the mixture over. Probably not the best idea, I should probably buy some fancy container, but meh. If I get another leak, I'll seriously consider another type of container, but until then gallon containers should be fine.

Otherwise things are doing okay. I'll upload some pics in a few.

Unread 08/01/2015, 09:05 PM   #116
Jesfromdax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
I told you guys I'd break the skimmer in!

And here's how:

Water line is about 1/3-1/2" underneath the recommended one. It still will fill within a week certainly, but probably 3-4 days, even with the dryer skimming and running only 12-14 hours a night (at night only, no skimmer in the day now).

Nice work!!!

Jesfromdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 12:07 PM   #117
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I thought this might be better than some pics (though I have those too)

Unread 08/04/2015, 06:56 AM   #118
homer1475
Registered Member

You know its very interesting how you, soulpatch, \clownfish/, and myself all setup our biocubes within months of each other, and how each one is so very different.

Nice setup by the way!

Unread 08/04/2015, 07:05 AM   #119
soulpatch
Registered Member

I dont think they are really that different but just an access to funds that sped some up over others like my tank being so modded out of the gate. That said that speed also hampered alot of things. IE I have algae issues due to lack of QT for my corals (only way the bubble/culpera/bryopsis got into my tank is on a coral/rock...) But I guess in being that guy I also have been able to give some insights on what not to do or how to treat certain things.

I will say all of us have successful tanks that are beautiful and well cared for. And I am curious to see how they continue to progress over the next year as we round the bases to the first full year of operation. Hopefully as I hit the year my cube will be in transition to a holding/grow out tank for the larger cube.

Unread 08/04/2015, 07:55 AM   #120
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
You know its very interesting how you, soulpatch, \clownfish/, and myself all setup our biocubes within months of each other, and how each one is so very different.

Nice setup by the way!
Its definitely interesting. I've learned a lot from seeing everyone's different perspectives/directions, and I've gone on my own and made some of my own mistakes. All of our tanks are slightly different in content and intent, but that's what makes the hobby (ans sharing our experiences online) interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I dont think they are really that different but just an access to funds that sped some up over others like my tank being so modded out of the gate. That said that speed also hampered alot of things. IE I have algae issues due to lack of QT for my corals (only way the bubble/culpera/bryopsis got into my tank is on a coral/rock...) But I guess in being that guy I also have been able to give some insights on what not to do or how to treat certain things.

I will say all of us have successful tanks that are beautiful and well cared for. And I am curious to see how they continue to progress over the next year as we round the bases to the first full year of operation. Hopefully as I hit the year my cube will be in transition to a holding/grow out tank for the larger cube.
I think one advantage I had going into this nano that you folks didn't, was having already been there and done that with most of this. I knew that algae would be priority #1, so I started with a dark cycle, and added a refugium off the bat. Then I've been very careful when screening new corals, the tanks they're coming from, and the rocks they're attached to. I saw 2 aiptasia come in on a ball of chaeto from the LFS here, and within days they blew into my rockwork, and within days of that, I had the kalk powder ready to go, covered/smothered them, and they haven't come back. I used to have a pretty sizable aiptasia population in my old 120g. Same thing for a mojano that came in on a coral. Similar story for asterina stars that I saw on some corals I picked up as well. If you're relatively new to the hobby, by the time you see these things, it's often too late to do much about it.

I also knew that I couldn't control valonia/bubble algae in a nano, or most other algaes, so I've been super careful about how much to feed, making sure I always had competing algaes growing, aggressive skimming etc. In my 120g I had valonia, but at least I had a few tangs and angels to eat it.

In a perfect world, I'd be upgrading with you guys as well. I don't think it's going to happen in the foreseeable future though (as I'll still be in NYC for the foreseeable future). I'm itching for >200g... I'm hoping my nano lasts until then. Ideally I'll be taking each coral from this tank and giving it it's own 8"x8" (or so) space in a giant tank, basically "justifying" this nano as a frag growout tank for the main event.

Unread 08/04/2015, 08:02 AM   #121
soulpatch
Registered Member

my large tank has been put on hold till after I move and can have a dedicated fish room.

I totally learned the lesson to QT corals from now on though and the biocube will serve that purpose moving forward.

Unread 08/04/2015, 02:47 PM   #122
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Nice work with the tank!

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 02:49 PM   #123
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Nice work with the tank!
Your feedback is always appreciated, but honestly I'm pretty annoyed with the colors right now, and I know that once they're back up again and I iron out the issues I've been having that have browned out some of the corals, then it will be worthy of your praise

Your input/following is always appreciated though

Unread 08/04/2015, 03:05 PM   #124
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Your feedback is always appreciated, but honestly I'm pretty annoyed with the colors right now, and I know that once they're back up again and I iron out the issues I've been having that have browned out some of the corals, then it will be worthy of your praise

Your input/following is always appreciated though
After I got back from a recent vacation a lot of my corals browned out. Its one of those things you just work to bring back. The health of the corals all look good. The torches look great. Very impressed with them.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2015, 10:15 AM   #125
DarthReefer27
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm going to to start dosing nopox, I just can't seem to get my nitrates under control, even doing 10G water changes weekly. I'm almost positive its just me overfeeding, but I'm not sure. I've stopped dumping the container from feeding the sun coral into the tank at night, and switched to feeding fish once a day, and the entire tank (reef chilli, reef frenzy, and kent microvert) to twice a week. I hate spot feeding, so I just broadcast feed the entire tank, besides if I didn't my cleaner shrimp rips food bits out of the corals mouths which can't be good long term for the corals.

I've read a bit about using vinegar or vodka, just not 100% sure about dumping those products into my tank.
I have been having high nitrates for a while (even though i didn't realize it since everything has been doing great) so i just started dosing nopox as well. with all my other levels good and now that I have my salinity in check, once my nitrates are back down to respectable levels, i will try another cleaner shrimp. i had not been able to keep any but i think the high nitrates has been the cause. Oh, and I also just started my first biocube (first dive into reefing) in March. It is sooooooooo addicting and now even my wife (not a huge nature/animal person) is really enjoying it!