Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2019, 11:11 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

new ritteri

I'm giving it another shot. I think my last ritteri's may have gotten infected from sick perc(s) it was hosting. I've had this one 3 days. It opens more and more each day. I think it's maxed out now though. No deflations at this time (prrraaayyyyy). Last ones showed a deflation at least once in first 24 hrs.

Link to vid of it from yesterday (day 2 in tank) , it's more open today, as in the pic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00Avrsu2Hk

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 11:12 AM   #2
CTaylor
Registered Member

My pic disappeared.. here it is again . It's not purple in reality.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri1.jpg (100.2 KB, 109 views)
Unread 09/20/2019, 12:01 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It is rather unlikely that your previous magnifica contracted the infection from the percula. More likely that anemone already came infected or contracted the infection from another anemone in the system.
Given how commonly these anemones come down with an infection after shipping, I would be extremely cautious and keep a hospital tank ready to treat it with Cipro the moment it deflates or starts acting funny.
Depending on the general condition of the anemone it can take up to a month for an infection to show full symptoms, but early warning signs usually show within days. It usually shows best when you turn off the flow. If the anemone looks less than stellar or even deflates when the flow is turned off I would be alarmed and start treatment right away.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 12:05 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
It is rather unlikely that your previous magnifica contracted the infection from the percula. More likely that anemone already came infected or contracted the infection from another anemone in the system.
Given how commonly these anemones come down with an infection after shipping, I would be extremely cautious and keep a hospital tank ready to treat it with Cipro the moment it deflates or starts acting funny.
Depending on the general condition of the anemone it can take up to a month for an infection to show full symptoms, but early warning signs usually show within days. It usually shows best when you turn off the flow. If the anemone looks less than stellar or even deflates when the flow is turned off I would be alarmed and start treatment right away.

TY
Makes sense. First hurdle one week. Next hurdle a month, which is what I thought. Then just the longer the better after that. I'll re-post once I get there.

Unread 09/20/2019, 01:43 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Where did you get it from?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/20/2019, 01:45 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throewer View Post
where did you get it from?
la >. NOT DD .
I'm guessing you get best quality when it's not DD and you order when they have first availability of something. For instance I ordered this within 15 mins of email notification at 730 am they got the ritts in.

Unread 09/20/2019, 02:52 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
la >. NOT DD .
I'm guessing you get best quality when it's not DD and you order when they have first availability of something. For instance I ordered this within 15 mins of email notification at 730 am they got the ritts in.
I ordered one of those as well but it didn't ship. They must have either run out or all the ones they had left were too sick to ship.

The one I got from DD got sick and is in treatment right now. So far it is looking good.

Unread 09/20/2019, 03:34 PM   #8
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
I ordered one of those as well but it didn't ship. They must have either run out or all the ones they had left were too sick to ship.

The one I got from DD got sick and is in treatment right now. So far it is looking good.
how long did it take after you got it for you to see it was sick?

Unread 09/20/2019, 08:33 PM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:

Here it is 5 min of no flow. Just day 3. Hoping I make it passed the first week hump.... Did yours show any signs at all before the first week mark. As in did you see it deflate and come back again to normal after a day or 3?

**Should I feed it? I did give it some food today, which it held on to. I couldnt see for sure if the food was injested, though I tried to see. It definitely wasnt quickly released.

TY!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri2092019.jpg (104.9 KB, 72 views)
Unread 09/21/2019, 01:43 PM   #10
nilo
Registered Member

I got a magnifica from LA this week too. Probably from the same batch. Yours look significantly better than mine. I got one of the smaller ones (3-4"max) just to try one out. All the ones I see locally are huge and I don't have room to QT those. It came in totally deflated with mouth wide open and insides spilling out. I was pretty sure it was dead. Currently in QT with Cipro, daily water changes, and an LED plant grow light (it was the only one I had). Initially it was floating around but now on day 3 it's foot is firmly attached to the floor of the QT tank. So far the mouth is now closed and it's insides are back in (or something like that). Tentacles are still not fully deflated and I haven't checked if they're sticky or not. I don't want to dip my hand in there and introduce any other pathogens or irritants. It's day 3 of Cipro today. Hopefully it makes it. Will try to take some pics later when I go home. Btw, I am in Florida. Where are you at? Do you think a shorter transit time or bigger size may have contributed to a better specimen?

nilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2019, 02:46 PM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
I got a magnifica from LA this week too. Probably from the same batch. Yours look significantly better than mine. I got one of the smaller ones (3-4"max) just to try one out. All the ones I see locally are huge and I don't have room to QT those. It came in totally deflated with mouth wide open and insides spilling out. I was pretty sure it was dead. Currently in QT with Cipro, daily water changes, and an LED plant grow light (it was the only one I had). Initially it was floating around but now on day 3 it's foot is firmly attached to the floor of the QT tank. So far the mouth is now closed and it's insides are back in (or something like that). Tentacles are still not fully deflated and I haven't checked if they're sticky or not. I don't want to dip my hand in there and introduce any other pathogens or irritants. It's day 3 of Cipro today. Hopefully it makes it. Will try to take some pics later when I go home. Btw, I am in Florida. Where are you at? Do you think a shorter transit time or bigger size may have contributed to a better specimen?
Nilo I know your pain
This is my third go around. My first one was from LA and was sick from day one. Not quite as bad as yours but you started treatment, whereas I was about to start treatment too late (was already dead). My second time they (it was actually two in one bag) showed slgns (deflation and stomach out) after about 6 hrs (from what I remember). I wasnt sucessful at treatment -- I may have waited too long, as I didnt start until 2 days after initial indications.

It seems like most have success when treated immediately. I live in Fort Lauderdale. I know to always order asap , immediately anything (ESP a nem) that I get email notification on it being avail. WHich I did with this. And do have it delivered asap, in other words not to have it delivered a day after the earliest that it can, and not to have it for sat delivery (just another delay). I probably also got lucky (I HOPE). I'm on day 4. First hurdle is a week, next is a month.. and then the longer the better.

Given my losses I'm super excited about mine. It really looks truly amazing in person. I hope you get similar results.

Unread 09/21/2019, 04:37 PM   #12
CTaylor
Registered Member

off subject, but related. Those percs went to the nem in 0 seconds. All I did was put them within a few inches , and bammm. Instant love They will not leave it, hardly a few inches max now, only to grab food. Before the rit, they were going to a eleance and torch, but would leave it long distance for food. They are super in instant love. It's very nice to watch. I only hope this lasts.

Unread 09/21/2019, 05:59 PM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

That's the normal reaction of percula to a gigantea or magnifica. At some point you might wish they would go out further to grab food, because from now on it will have to come to them or it's a no-go. It sometimes really annoys me with my percula...
My bicinctus, latezonatus, and milii are quite different and always come out for food...

Unread 09/22/2019, 07:42 PM   #14
nilo
Registered Member

Here's a pic of the Magnifica while it's in a bucket while I'm doing my water change. Mouth seems to be closed but tentacles are still thin and not fully inflated. Currently day 4 of Cipro. Keeping my fingers crossed

nilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2019, 05:14 AM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

CTaylor,
Your anemone looks very healthy. Good luck with him. You can feed him now if you want. I don't feed my anemones all the time, only when they arrive to help the recover from stress and injury. Then I only feed them it I want them to grow. Looking good, good luck.

nilo,
Did not see picture of your anemone. Good luck.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2019, 07:04 PM   #16
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY orion

I"m a bit concerned: https://youtu.be/guJNv4L-P28

I think it looks good, except you'll notice where I focus in on the foot. It's partly detached on the left. The part of the rock that part of the foot is on I don' think is ideal. From what I can tell, it's not flat enough to get a good footing (I think). It took in a piece of food well today, holds on to it tight, though too many tentacles for me to see actual ingestion.

Is that type of partial detachment reason for alarm? or is this just no big deal at this point?

***Orion, and others, I'm a little unclear on feeding. I think you said not too much at once, I'm thinking a 1/4-1/2" max cube size a few times a week (??). I'd like it to grow .

TY

EDIT: on looking really close at the foot area, its attached on that front of the foot like this (I cant see the back side): The rock seems to have a upward 'ledge" that the foot is frimly on (I pushed it a little to test it) and it's attached on the right, on another "rise up" in the rock. Between the two holing points the rock is lower, so the foot it just there connected on both ends. But it seems firm on the portions attached.

Unread 09/25/2019, 02:43 AM   #17
hottuna
Registered Member

Don't sweat the foot . I have one that is the same.Been that way since day 1 . I've had it for 7 mos now. very sticky and eats well (look for that ). hasn't moved much at all since I put it in...

Unread 09/25/2019, 04:43 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

I feed mine pencil eraser size bit of sea food. 1-6 pieces or so depends on the size of the anemone and how fast I want for him to growth. I normally don't feed them more often than every other days.
There is a huge range of feeding, amount to frequency. Once they are healthy they will be fine, if you don't feed them spoiled food. That is why I don't feed fish food or smelly sea food to my anemone. If it is something I won't eat, I will not feed it to my anemone.
I also find that my anemones does not like clams and oysters. They, all of them, deflated and look really bad for a few days if I feed them clams or oysters. Why this is the case I am not certain.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2019, 08:30 AM   #19
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I feed mine pencil eraser size bit of sea food. 1-6 pieces or so depends on the size of the anemone and how fast I want for him to growth. I normally don't feed them more often than every other days.
There is a huge range of feeding, amount to frequency. Once they are healthy they will be fine, if you don't feed them spoiled food. That is why I don't feed fish food or smelly sea food to my anemone. If it is something I won't eat, I will not feed it to my anemone.
I also find that my anemones does not like clams and oysters. They, all of them, deflated and look really bad for a few days if I feed them clams or oysters. Why this is the case I am not certain.
THANK YOU ORION!
So, when you say sea food and not fish food, then you suggest I get say fish from grocery store that I would eat? Shoudl I cook it ? I'm not sure if I'll do that, ideally I'll do what you say though.
I"m thinking if it's getting too much food it will start to reject it?

*For my non attached area what I'm goign to do is try to find a small piece of flat smooth rock to wedge in there to get foot to attach. Day 7.. looking good .. Next is a month. then.....

Unread 09/25/2019, 09:17 AM   #20
mnchartier
Registered Member

You don't want to cook the seafood it. I feed my gig either fresh raw shrimp, salmon or scallops. Also recommend wild caught seafood and not farm raised.

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2019, 10:59 AM   #21
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchartier View Post
You don't want to cook the seafood it. I feed my gig either fresh raw shrimp, salmon or scallops. Also recommend wild caught seafood and not farm raised.
TY for that... Is it ok to freeze it for future use? I hope so!
And I think I'll get a clam to use it's shell as a smooth surface to bridge that area for the foot to attach in that area.

Unread 09/25/2019, 01:57 PM   #22
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
*For my non attached area what I'm goign to do is try to find a small piece of flat smooth rock to wedge in there to get foot to attach.
I’d always recommend making this kind of arrangements ahead of placing a magnifica in a tank but that comes with experience, understanding what magnificas need.
Other than providing it with a flat/shelf rock under strong light and strong current I wouldn’t do much. Let it settle in. Your anemone is good size, not totally bleached out. Feeding it would be the last thing on my mind if I were in your shoes.
I got a mag two months ago and haven’t fed it a thing. I gave it a flat rock directly under light and it’s doing okay.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2019, 04:45 PM   #23
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Not pretty, but this setup closely resembles how they like it.

Unread 09/25/2019, 05:37 PM   #24
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Not pretty, but this setup closely resembles how they like it.

Cute, like a flower for real lol. It looks bleached? So they need flow, but not a lot, that one in vid has really gentle flow and medium light it looks like (?).

The comment on mine not being totally bleached. I just dont think mine is at all. I might be wrong, but orion already said it looked good, he would have talked about bad color.

Mine gets pretty good somewhat chaotic flow and I'm going to guess 250 par. I read they like 300-500. But I have to say mine looks as good as other I've seen that are healthy. So i'll feed it the little eraser sized pieces every few days I think orion said. And just take care of it. I'll probably gently wedge a flat rock piece in there to fix the non attachment area.

Ty for all the comments and suggestions. I'm just really happy right now about how it's doing.

Unread 09/25/2019, 06:51 PM   #25
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:

The comment on mine not being totally bleached. I just dont think mine is at all. I might be wrong, but orion already said it looked good, he would have talked about bad color.
Precisely my point. It doesn’t look horrible so what’s the motivation to feed it before it finds a happy spot. It’s a good looking mag.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote