Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 07:56 AM   #1
vitodog
Registered Member

I want to paint my stand

My tank stand is a wood stained color (cognac) and I would like to paint it white. The tank that sits on it is a mixed reef and has been up and running for approximately 5 years. Can I just paint over the wood stain or is there some prep work I need to do first? Also, do I need to do anything to protect the livestock in the tank?

Unread 12/14/2017, 08:20 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its very likely that you can just paint right over it with any regular latex paint..
You also shouldn't need to do anything to protect the livestock.. I've painted around tanks many time without issue..

It would not be a bad idea to at the very least just wipe the wood down first (plain mild soap/water and a rag) to remove any dust,salt creep,etc... on it and you can even rough it up with some sandpaper then use cheese cloth to remove that dust..
The sanding probably isn't needed but would help ensure a longer lasting finish.

Unread 12/14/2017, 08:31 AM   #3
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
and you can even rough it up with some sandpaper then use cheese cloth to remove that dust..
The sanding probably isn't needed but would help ensure a longer lasting finish.
I would definitely give it a light sanding - not down to bare wood by any means but give the surface some tooth. Then prime and then paint...

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 01:48 PM   #4
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks mcgyvr and VoltzNSalt. Sounds like a light sanding, primer and a cheese cloth is the way to go. Thanks again guys.

Unread 12/14/2017, 02:27 PM   #5
rynoe
Registered Member

Just watch aerosol paints. The propellants can cause issues with the tank inhabitants.

rynoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 02:41 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
Just watch aerosol paints. The propellants can cause issues with the tank inhabitants.
I wouldn't recommend spray paint in this situation but rather brushed on latex..

Unread 12/14/2017, 03:03 PM   #7
JTL
Registered Member

Talking

Give it a good cleaning with tsp, put on a coat of kilz primer and then the latex paint of your choice. I just painted all of my kitchen cabinets so I have experience. I did a few more steps and sprayed the doors no spraying for you.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 07:56 AM   #8
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

Unread 12/18/2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Mdj
Registered Member

You want to light and for sure 220 grit if it has a shine sand shine away kiltz has oil and latex primer oil is better but lots of fumes latex will work just fine and has less fumes once primer has set for 24 hours light sand again then paint if there is alot of crevices I would recommend getting a weenie roller (small foam roller) brush paint on then go over with roller while still wet will give better finish and hide brush strokes if using a oil based primer ( would not reccomend) don't forget laquer thinner for clean up good luck

Mdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 08:47 AM   #10
Mdj
Registered Member

Light sand sorry

Mdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 04:57 PM   #11
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks Mdj, much appreciated and great advise.

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:36 AM   #12
Apotack
Registered Member

+1 wash, sand and prime. You want to make sure it’s thoroughly clean and well scuffed. Any shiny areas will most likely peel at some point.

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote