Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2018, 06:13 AM   #176
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Looking good congrats on getting the tank wet.
Thanks moondoggy. I will be adding a few more corals each week from my old tanks. Then once stable I will add some SPS. I have one small frag (purple Stylo) in there because it wasn't doing well in my frag tank. It's very pale right now but it looks like it may recover. We shall see..

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 09:36 AM   #177
drtrash
Registered Member

How do you like using the 45 as return? Glued in or threaded?

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 09:46 AM   #178
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
How do you like using the 45 as return? Glued in or threaded?
It works well except that it does siphon more water than I'd like when I shut the pump down. They are not glued or threaded - simply stuck into the slip fitting of the bulkhead. But they are not noticeable in the tank and there is plenty of flow coming out of them. I have my DC return pump at 100% (Varios 6)

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Unread 05/01/2018, 10:58 AM   #179
drtrash
Registered Member

Did you drill a siphon break hole into pvc return? That would be my only come ncern with using the pvc 45 that locline can be bent up toward surface for less draw down

Unread 05/06/2018, 07:57 PM   #180
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you drill a siphon break hole into pvc return? That would be my only come ncern with using the pvc 45 that locline can be bent up toward surface for less draw down
I have not drilled a hole yet. I'm not actually sure where I should drill. Any suggestions?

Unread 05/06/2018, 09:19 PM   #181
Reef noob_
Registered Member

I can send a pic of my return tomorrow, it's a 90 elbow but could Give you some ideas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 05:38 AM   #182
choss
Registered Member

Reef noob that would be great! It would buy me a little piece of mind.

Unread 05/07/2018, 06:58 AM   #183
drtrash
Registered Member

Any place on the side of 45 coming out of bulkhead. 1/4" hole works, donce yours is pressed in you can pull out and clea hole up from pvc burrs

Unread 05/07/2018, 07:11 AM   #184
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Quote:
Any place on the side of 45 coming out of bulkhead. 1/4" hole works, donce yours is pressed in you can pull out and clea hole up from pvc burrs
How did that not get flagged!

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 06:11 AM   #185
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Any place on the side of 45 coming out of bulkhead. 1/4" hole works, donce yours is pressed in you can pull out and clean hole up from pvc burrs
Yes I thought about a small hole in the side but when I look at the pipe, I am not sure that a hole would make a difference. The entire pipe is slightly below the water line, horizontal. So to break the siphon, the water level drops just below the top of the pipe opening. I need to play around with it a bit. My short term solution is to lower the water level by an inch in the return pump section, so that now, if the check valve fails again, the water level will be just below the top of the sump. The other thing I decided to do is turn off my return pump weekly as this allows the check valve to close keeping it from getting stuck as easily.

Unread 05/20/2018, 08:25 PM   #186
choss
Registered Member

Update with pics

Tank is doing well. Here are a few photos to share. Thanks for following:

Clown Closeup

clown closeup by choerenz, on Flickr

Brain

brain late night better version by choerenz, on Flickr

Trumpet Coral

trumpet closeup by choerenz, on Flickr

Clown coming at ya

clown coming at ya by choerenz, on Flickr

Urchin on glass

urchin on glass by choerenz, on Flickr

Halloween Hermit

halloween hermit better pic by choerenz, on Flickr

Branching Hammer - newest addition

Hammer pic 2 by choerenz, on Flickr

branching hammer by choerenz, on Flickr

Acans

left acan best pic by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 05/21/2018, 07:32 AM   #187
AZReef13
Registered Member

Looking Great....

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 01:42 PM   #188
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

The tank is looking fantastic. Are you positive that is a hammer coral? It looks more like Frog Spawn to me, I don't see the hammer shape at the ends that is characteristic of the Hammer coral.

Unread 05/22/2018, 01:26 PM   #189
choss
Registered Member

you could be right. I had one of each for a long time and one didn't survive. SO I may have mixed them up. But looks like a frog.

Unread 05/29/2018, 02:50 PM   #190
npierce1015
Registered Member

Looking really good and clean

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

npierce1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 03:14 PM   #191
d2mini
Registered Member

Love the brain! And yeah... that's frog spawn.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 08:57 AM   #192
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Love the brain! And yeah... that's frog spawn.
D2 - glad you have popped in on the build. There are definitely a few D2mini influences here (and maybe a few more to come). Wish I had your photography skills. I just got a version of lightroom so I'll start playing around a bit and see if I can improve things.

Unread 06/03/2018, 12:00 PM   #193
choss
Registered Member

Update - water mixing station

I have been taking things slowly so not much has changed in the main display. I am amazed that the display has shown virtually no signs of any nuisance algae. My refugium on the other hand is a mess of slimy green stuff, clinging to the walls of the fuge (although not on the live rock I have in there) and in a small chaeto basket I have suspended in the fuge. So far so good.

Full tank shot may 28 2018 by choerenz, on Flickr

I have also had the tank up and running for a few months now and have done virtually no water changes! This is not on purpose, but I have been working on setting up my salt mixing station for automatic water changes. I'm almost there.

I covered this in an early post but the system works like this:

Water goes from the RODI unit on the wall, directly into a 35 gallon fresh water tank that sits about 6' off the floor on a stand above my frag tank (20 long).

fresh water tank by choerenz, on Flickr

This tank serves 3 purposes. First, it supplies the display with RODI top off water. I put the tank as close to the ceiling as I could and the small Tunze pump can push the water about 6' up into the sump located directly above this room. The water enters the sump via a Kalk dispenser container that is located in the refugium section of my sump.

Second, it supplies the 20 gallon frag tank directly beneath it with RODI top off, delivered via a float switch. And finally, I can turn a ball valve and fill my salt water mixing tank, or fill small containers via another ball valve attachment to the plumbing leading to the mixing station.

water refill area by choerenz, on Flickr

From the bulkhead of the 35 gallon fresh water water tank, the plumbing runs to a spout just above the first of the two tanks on the left side of the room.

water storage tanks by choerenz, on Flickr

The tank on the left is a 25 gallon tank for mixing salt. I can then fill the tank on the right (55 gallon capacity) which will supply the display upstairs with salt water at about 1.5 gallons per day. I wanted to be able to mix water without affecting the stable source feeding the tank. I can add 25 gallons quickly from the RODI 35 gallon tank, leaving 10 gallons in the tank to ensure that the fresh water supply for frag and display remain unaffected.

Once I hook up the AWC via the litermeter 3, I will use the water I drain from the display to add to the frag tank. The frag tank has a nano overflow so that the water entering the 20 gallon will displace about 1.4 gallons into the sink per day. The frag tank is mainly for quarantining new frags and my hope is that the water chemistry will stay very close to the main display. This should make transfers easier once I have dipped and observed corals for some period of time.

I also set up a small fragging shelf in the room. Its a tight fit as the fish room is a small utility room off my garage, but I love that I no longer need to do any maintenance or testing in my display room. I can now test water as it it drawn down via the AWC, cut frags, etc.

fragging station by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 06/13/2018, 09:00 AM   #194
choss
Registered Member

Quick Update

This past weekend I hooked up the Litermeter 3 for automatic water changes. Programming the unit is simple. First you run the pumps to prime them. Then you fill a 500 ml container to determine the flow rate of each pump. Next step, I determined I wanted to change about 10% water volume per day. Based on the approximate volume of my system I targeted 1.6 gallons a day or approximately 6 liters. Then I plug in the value "6" for flow in the Litermeter 3 and start the pumps. It then makes small additions 150 times a day (about every 8 minutes)

So far its worked like clockwork. I couldn't be happier with this system. Super simple and seems dead on reliable. Here is a chart of my conductivity readings.

Conductivity by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 08/01/2018, 12:51 PM   #195
Arkayology
Registered Member

Nice mixing station. I would love to be able to do automatic water changes.

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 03:04 PM   #196
AZReef13
Registered Member

I was wondering what happened to you. Tank looks awesome, agree with the work station, and all those cool toys.

Unlike me I've been fighting bubble algae for awhile...

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 10:49 AM   #197
hbrochs
Registered Member

The tank looks amazing, especially chilling in the leather chair with a glass of wine.

Tremendous attention to detail looking forward to watching it fill in buddy!

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 06:11 PM   #198
choss
Registered Member

Thanks for checking in. I need to post an update with some pics! Work has been a tad crazy and getting in the way.