Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you believe helps the most for coral growth?
Temperature 3 1.22%
Lighting 61 24.90%
Water Quality 145 59.18%
Feedings 36 14.69%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2011, 06:42 AM   #51
Swerve's Reef
Registered Member

Coral ID: RED actinodiscus sp.
Coral Size: single polyp 1" diameter
Lighting: low (indirect mh/vho, placed under ledge, par unknown)
Water Flow: medium
Water Parameters: Ca 440, Alk 9, Mg 1300, NO3 0.2, PO4 near zero/undetectable
Growth: None in SIX months

Coral ID: BLUE actinodiscus sp.
Coral Size: single polyp 2" diameter
Lighting: low (indirect mh/vho, placed under ledge, par unknown)
Water Flow: medium
Water Parameters: Ca 440, Alk 9, Mg 1300, NO3 0.2, PO4 near zero/undetectable
Growth: additional 1" to diameter of original polyp in THREE months, pedal lacereration/reproduction has produced 6 new polyps, those 6 are now sized between 1.5" to 3/4" in those same 3 months.

These red and blue mushrooms are within 2 inches of each other in the same location of the tank. This is interesting and why empirical data on growth is a challenging and moving target. I try to understand what differences in my own aquarium could affect growth. Add in other reefer's tanks parameters and their growth rates, and the data becomes very generalized.

I also have two hollywood stunners, one grows fast, the other not so fast. Same location very close to each other, one is horizontal, one vertical. This seems to follow the consensus to the angle for chalices though, the vertically placed coral is the faster growing of the two. This growth difference is likely related to the amount/direction of flow or the angle(=amount) of light.

Regarding the mushrooms, the same exact aquarium and placement in that aquarium, same species, different morphs, and i have totally different growth rates...

I wish there was a way people could follow a recipe, it seems there are variables that I can't for the life of me figure out.

"There's Something in the Water"

Last edited by Swerve's Reef; 03/24/2011 at 07:26 AM.
Swerve's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2011, 11:41 PM   #52
Tigre9
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your submission, this is what I have been trying to get from everyone since I started this post last year. Keep it coming! Again, Thank You!

Current Tank Info: Oak Stand Build (55gal Reef Disp Tank) 55gal BTA Prop Tank (1RBTA, 2GBTA, 1Sailfin, 1Six Line Wrasse, 1Red Mush, 1Frag Grey Star Polyp) 30gal Prop Tank for BTA (currently has 1Clown, 4BlueGreen Chromis, 3Peppermint Shrimp)
Tigre9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2011, 08:56 PM   #53
alexandernewell
Registered Member

Its hard to tell the "size" of some things. My rics are small then huge then small then huge-er often. With my duncans size is of little importance. Its the number of heads i care about. Rather have 13 heads in about 4 square inches than 6 heads along a 7 inch branch.

If you include growth through pedal laceration then you need to include growth caused by manually fragging a colony. And now your numbers get way skewed. The people of RC are super helpful and given the lack of responses its probably because most people see how useless their own info will be or they don't know how to answer your query.

As far as the distributers knowing this info. They don't. They might know what to expect in their own system but as far as having anything remotely useful to the home aquarist I highly doubt it.

Further. I think any info from people who have "Slow" growth isn't going to be helpful at all. Its not hard to do things wrong. While it might play a roll in determining an "average" an average is a useless statistic without a standard deviation and several other qualifiers to give it context.

I think the only thing people care about are what makes corals grow faster so maybe you should instead ask people what they did to speed up their coral growth not for a swarm of arbitrary info that cant be compiled and compared in any meaningful way. i.e. apparently Swerve can tell you his nitrates to the the first decimal while the closest most of us can probably tell you would be below 10. The API test isn't very precise.

Duncans: Grew faster when I started hand feeding PE Mysis. Opened more when placed in Indirect lighting.

Ricordea sp.: Fastest growth by manual cutting. Faster size recovery after I began feeding PE Mysis.

I don't like Long Spine Urchins...

Current Tank Info: 29g anemone, 92g Bow Display, 10g Frag House
alexandernewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 06:32 AM   #54
skrillnet
Registered Member

I will be starting a project shortly similar to this.

I am about to be moving into a new home, and have setup a tank in the new house already. When I transfer everything over to the new tank, I plan to record the size and coloration of each coral I have in addition to the parameters when I transfer them to the tank.

Following that I will record their size and coloration ( documented with a pic ) at 30 day intervals in addition to params and what not.

I have a site setup for this particular project, however with the apparent religious removal of posts with links I can't tell you where it is. BTW that makes very little sense to me, I understand cutting down on spammers, but if it is useful then why remove it? Tons of sites link to RC, how about showing some link love?!

Will post when I complete the move and insert the first snippets of data...

And as far as growth, IME the zoos and palys I have double in size about every 2-4 months depending on exact color.

Duncans have added approx. 15 heads in about 5 months (all small)

Acans have not added heads, but have increased in polyp size by about 25% in 2 months.

Pocillipora has added 3 new 1" branches in 6 months with about 1/2" of growth per old branch.

Plating Monti has grown next to none in 6 months, and a branching monti has almost died and come back 6 times in 6 months

Hydnophora has not grown noticeably in 5 months.

Tank Params as follows:

SG: 1.024
Temp: 80-night 82-daytime
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 depending on how close to water change
Phos: undetectable
calc: 440
dkH: 8

Lighting provided by 4-T5 3 geismann aquablue+ and 1 coralife 440nm actinic ( i think... )

Weekly water changes of around 25% (70 gal total system volume)

Reef Crystals salt

skrillnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 09:56 PM   #55
StealthRider
Moved On

I had my tank at around 8 dkH For around three months without any real growth on my sps coral... as soon as i started keeping it at 9- 10 the coral growth exploded, and fresh cut frags started encrusting. a month later the plugs were all encrusted. I am running 6 t5 bulbs.

StealthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2011, 04:18 PM   #56
prorotifero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
If its cheap, brown and ugly - it grows too fast and can't be killed.

If its expensive and totally frickin awesome - it grows slow and dies for no reason.
this is really truth!!

prorotifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2011, 11:17 PM   #57
tamn3
Registered Member

"patience" should be added to the poll options. I think I'm too anxious for growth that it slows down a great deal.

Unread 01/13/2019, 02:34 PM   #58
cadguy
Registered Member

Perhaps a place to start would be to look at the amount of corals collectors are allowed to harvest each year from a given region. Surely their numbers would be conservative and we would hope they are only allowing the amount to be collected is less than what the scientists who study the health of reefs believe the reef us able to regrow?

I’m interested in knowing for the purpose of determining feasibility of operating a coral farming operation that could support my retail outlet.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadguy is offline   Reply With Quote