Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/29/2017, 08:31 PM   #1
ibryson
Registered Member

Large aquarium stand

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 180 gallon reef ready tank. I plan on building my own aquarium stand.
My question is how tall would you all recommend the stand be? The tank is roughly 72X24X25 (give or take a half inch). I would love to build a bar top right in front of the tank to sit and watch the tank and have a drink at the same time. I'm having a hard time deciding what a good height would be. What heights do you all have yours at?

Thanks!

--Bryson

ibryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Annap729
Registered Member

Bar tops are 42", so you can work from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Annap729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 09:07 PM   #3
ibryson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annap729 View Post
Bar tops are 42", so you can work from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I saw that but it seems too tall. 42 + 25 + 18(for canopy)= over 7 foot
This will likely go in a finished basement so that just seems too tall. Does 36" sound too short??

Unread 04/29/2017, 09:19 PM   #4
aquamn1999
Registered Member

where is your skimmer going and what size is it. If it's going under the tank in a sump that will help to determine your height for your stand. You want to be able to access and remove it if needed. Also in the future you may want a auto neck cleaner so leave enough room for that. My stand is 46 1/2". Once you add foam and the thickness of the tank. the bottom of the tank is at 48"

aquamn1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 09:26 PM   #5
ibryson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamn1999 View Post
where is your skimmer going and what size is it. If it's going under the tank in a sump that will help to determine your height for your stand. You want to be able to access and remove it if needed. Also in the future you may want a auto neck cleaner so leave enough room for that. My stand is 46 1/2". Once you add foam and the thickness of the tank. the bottom of the tank is at 48"
I reckon my skimmer wouldn't be over 2 feet tall. I haven't bought one yet though. How tall is your skimmer?

Unread 04/29/2017, 09:38 PM   #6
aquamn1999
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibryson View Post
I reckon my skimmer wouldn't be over 2 feet tall. I haven't bought one yet though. How tall is your skimmer?
Mine is an external skimmer . The SRO60000EXT is 36"with the neck cleaner. But once you add the stand of 10" so the outlet will go into the sump the total height is 46".

aquamn1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 09:54 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I always design my stands so the top rim is at armpit height.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 11:42 PM   #8
Lsufan
Registered Member

It really is personal preference on what u want. Some people the most important thing is having easy access to the tank so they usually prefer a shorter stand. They prefer to be able to reach the sandbed without having to use a stepstool. Other people rather have a taller stand to give them more room under the stand & to get the tank more eye level when viewing.

Personally, I like to have a taller stand. If that means I have to use a stool to reach the sandbed then so be it. As far as how tall, it depends on the hieght of the tank & the hieght of the ceilings the room is in. I prefer a 42" tall stand on a tank that is 24" or less in hieght. My 40 breeder has a 42" tall stand & i almost wish it was even taller. My 150 (which is 24" tall) has a 39" stand. I would have went 42" but the ceiling in the room is less then 8' & I built the canopy to where the front of the canopy flips up. So I built it as tall as possible & when I flip the front of the canopy up it is around 1/4" from the ceiling.

I don't know how tall & how long of arms u have, but with your size tank u will probably have to stand on a stool to reach the bottom if your stand is more then 30 or 32" tall. So I would decide if u want to use a stool or not. If u don't then I would do like calore mentioned and have the rim of the tank about armpit hieght. If u don't mind using a stool at times then I would go between 36" to 42" as long as that will work with the ceilings in the basement. If u prefer it a little shorter, 36" is a decent hieght but U will still more then likely need to stand on something to reach the bottom.

Last edited by Lsufan; 04/30/2017 at 12:06 AM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2017, 07:38 AM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
It really is personal preference on what u want. Some people the most important thing is having easy access to the tank so they usually prefer a shorter stand. They prefer to be able to reach the sandbed without having to use a stepstool. Other people rather have a taller stand to give them more room under the stand & to get the tank more eye level when viewing.

Personally, I like to have a taller stand. If that means I have to use a stool to reach the sandbed then so be it. As far as how tall, it depends on the hieght of the tank & the hieght of the ceilings the room is in. I prefer a 42" tall stand on a tank that is 24" or less in hieght. My 40 breeder has a 42" tall stand & i almost wish it was even taller. My 150 (which is 24" tall) has a 39" stand. I would have went 42" but the ceiling in the room is less then 8' & I built the canopy to where the front of the canopy flips up. So I built it as tall as possible & when I flip the front of the canopy up it is around 1/4" from the ceiling.

I don't know how tall & how long of arms u have, but with your size tank u will probably have to stand on a stool to reach the bottom if your stand is more then 30 or 32" tall. So I would decide if u want to use a stool or not. If u don't then I would do like calore mentioned and have the rim of the tank about armpit hieght. If u don't mind using a stool at times then I would go between 36" to 42" as long as that will work with the ceilings in the basement. If u prefer it a little shorter, 36" is a decent hieght but U will still more then likely need to stand on something to reach the bottom.

^^^This^^^

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 12:01 PM   #10
SGT_York
Registered Member

I don't like looking down at my tank, the top rim at armpit height is a good basis, I prefer a few inches taller than that with a stepping stool. Makes it easier on the eyes and posture at the same time keeping the glass out of reach of my children who are too young to stop knocking on the glass. Just take your height minus the height of the tank and about five inches.

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
180, build, diy, stand