Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2017, 03:45 AM   #1
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Cant level aquarium stand

I purchased a 120g aquarium stand im trying to get level. It has been a NIGHTMARE! I can’t seem to get it level. I am trying to level it on a concrete steel beam floor with carpet. just when I thought I got it level it wobbles when I push it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cammunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 06:52 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

It's empty right? If so it is likely to move from level once you fill it depending on how uneven the surface is beneath the carpet.

Unread 12/18/2017, 07:25 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

use more shims. if it wobbles at all, even if it sits level, it is not properly shimmed,

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:48 AM   #4
Mdj
Registered Member

Shims shims shims if it wobbles it's not good

Mdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Should I fill it then shim?

Unread 12/18/2017, 08:33 AM   #6
JTL
Registered Member

How big is it? I would not fill it before it is level. The weight of the stand and empty tank should be sufficient to compress the carpet enough to level it with shims unless the padding is very spongy and the tank and cabinet are very small and light. Get it level and check the measurements as you slowly add water.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 08:41 AM   #7
lapin
Registered Member

This might work of you can do it. Cut a piece of 1" thick Melamine,(formica covered particle board) the same size as the base of your stand. Place that on the carpet under the stand. Then you will only need to shim under the board to make the stand level if the floor is not.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
How big is it? I would not fill it before it is level. The weight of the stand and empty tank should be sufficient to compress the carpet enough to level it with shims unless the padding is very spongy and the tank and cabinet are very small and light. Get it level and check the measurements as you slowly add water.

Its a 120

Unread 12/18/2017, 03:09 PM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Yeah. You'll want to be shimming it correctly. 120g is a whole bunch of water on the floor!

Start with shims as needed at the corners, then once it is level and stable, continue adding shims around the perimeter to give as much support to the stand as possible. I would suggest placing a shim every 6" or so. Then fill the tank and recheck for level. Add more shims if needed. If it is too close to a wall, the tack strip for the carpet will cause the back to be higher. I suggest 6" minimum behind the tank. You not only avoid the tack strip, you can get behind it when you need to.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 12:57 PM   #10
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Is this something I should worry about?

Unread 12/19/2017, 06:09 PM   #11
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I wouldnt worry. If it causes you concern pull that 2x4 and replace it.

Did u add that screw that split the wood? Looks like it wasnt there when painted.

Unread 12/19/2017, 06:10 PM   #12
Cammunoz
Registered Member

On a good note I finished the doors today!

Last edited by Cammunoz; 12/29/2017 at 06:44 AM.
Unread 12/19/2017, 08:02 PM   #13
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Can I add Plywood under the stand to help level it?

Unread 12/19/2017, 08:20 PM   #14
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Sure.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 08:46 PM   #15
Lsufan
Registered Member

I placed plywood under my stand when I had it on carpet & shimmed between the plywood & stand. Mainly because it is easier to get the shims where they need to be.

Figure out what corner is the highest. Then what I would do is level to other corner first. So if the high corner is in the back, then shim the other back corner first & get the back level. Then shim the two front corners to get it level. Once it is close & it seams like it is level both front to back & side to side, take the level & go caticorner to see if it is good. Concentrate on the corners until u get it perfectly level, then come back & place shims inbetween if need be.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 10:44 PM   #16
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I placed plywood under my stand when I had it on carpet & shimmed between the plywood & stand. Mainly because it is easier to get the shims where they need to be.

Figure out what corner is the highest. Then what I would do is level to other corner first. So if the high corner is in the back, then shim the other back corner first & get the back level. Then shim the two front corners to get it level. Once it is close & it seams like it is level both front to back & side to side, take the level & go caticorner to see if it is good. Concentrate on the corners until u get it perfectly level, then come back & place shims inbetween if need be.

Awesome thanks I just painted the plywood. I will attempt to install it tommorow.

Unread 12/22/2017, 09:56 AM   #17
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Awesome now I just have to figure out a slight leveling problem on the left side. The level is reading its 3/16 and 1/4 off I placed a shim between the stand and the floor and no luck may need to get bigger shims

Unread 12/22/2017, 11:28 AM   #18
Jefftopgun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammunoz View Post
Is this something I should worry about?

Majority of the weight is down on this 2x4, which is supported by the vertical one under it, the screws are there to keep that board from kicking out the front, so as long as your level 1 or 2 screws is all you would need.

Wouldn't worry at all.

Jefftopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 01:50 PM   #19
oldhead
Registered Member

No need to worry about that crack. Usually the only things that are hard to level are the ones that are out two different ways. If it is wobbling you probably have to add shims to both sides of the wobble. One side will have more shim than the other.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 04:29 PM   #20
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Ok here’s what I got input plz!!!!

Right side

Left side

front

middle

Back

Unread 12/22/2017, 04:37 PM   #21
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Middle along the brace

Unread 12/24/2017, 08:32 PM   #22
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Thats fine for level, actually you can be out some before its an issue, what's critical is full support. Which you're wobble issue indicated an issue (high/ low point s) without full even support you get uneven stress loads which can and usually does crack tanks. Be sure you have that resolved, recheck it aswell as you get it partially filled.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 05:23 AM   #23
hottuna
Registered Member

OLD TRICK/TIP ..I usually place a piece of suspended ceiling tile on top of the stand a little larger than the size of the tank..Get the stand as level as possible and then place the tank on top of the ceiling tile..Any slight imperfections in level will be handled as the tank sinks in to the ceiling tile when filling...You can also use dense board type insulation found at most home centers..
** I have NEVER had a tank crack using this method over the past 20 yrs

Unread 12/27/2017, 02:54 PM   #24
ecam
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammunoz View Post
Can I add Plywood under the stand to help level it?

I was just going to suggest that. I find it a lot easier to shim it with the plywood over carpet then without. The carpet can and will sag and unlevel

ecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 09:01 AM   #25
Cammunoz
Registered Member

So I have finally figured out why this has been a leveling nightmare! The top black rim of the aquarium is unlevel on the right side. I say puzzled wondering what could be the issue! Seems when they installed it they didn’t press down hard enough or what ever the issue may have been. And to top it off the front peice of glass sticks out to the right a bit on the bottom when it meets the side panel. At this point I am really disappointed with Aqueon I always a fan of their tanks. I measured the water levels from front to back on the side and they were the same. I sat puzzled that’s whenI measured the brace and discovered it was unlevel. I have contacted aqueon let’s see what they say