Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2016, 02:01 AM   #1
P593gat
Registered Member

tips choice balling method

hello to all guys. I would like to start using the balling method for keeping the triad constant. What do you recommend between matuta and fauna marin? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of the two? In the long run you can create ionic imbalances?

Thanks to all those who will give me their opinion

P593gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 06:41 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Hmm, I haven't used any of the three-parts. Maybe someone else can comment. I've heard good reviews of the Fauna Marin, but the other product you mentioned might be fine.

Any product might shift the ionic balance over time. I would keep up a schedule of water changes for that reason, and other reasons, as well.

Unread 02/06/2016, 02:22 AM   #3
P593gat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Hmm, I haven't used any of the three-parts. Maybe someone else can comment. I've heard good reviews of the Fauna Marin, but the other product you mentioned might be fine.

Any product might shift the ionic balance over time. I would keep up a schedule of water changes for that reason, and other reasons, as well.

thank you for the answer. I hope that someone who used such methods to respond to the post. I still would do water changes of 10% every week

Unread 02/06/2016, 06:27 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

10% a week should be a very good schedule for water changes. I'm sorry I can't help more on the products.

Unread 02/07/2016, 03:11 AM   #5
P593gat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
10% a week should be a very good schedule for water changes. I'm sorry I can't help more on the products.

thanks anyway

Unread 02/07/2016, 08:47 AM   #6
reefwiser
Registered Member

I do 10% water changes
I use tropic marin the original Balling Method.
You want to test your alk level and then adjust the dosage to keep the KH level you want to keep. I don't use the copy cat versions of the Balling Method just keep with the original version.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 08:52 AM   #7
P593gat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwiser View Post
I do 10% water changes
You want to test your alk level and then adjust the dosage to keep the KH level you want to keep. I don't use the copy cat versions of the Balling Method just keep with the original version.

thanks for the advice

Unread 02/19/2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwiser View Post
I do 10% water changes

Hello

I’ve seen in a few of your posts that you run this. I’m currently running BRS two part and want to make the switch to the TM balling method. I know the goal is to dose equal amounts, but set your alk first. How did you start on this? Meaning how did you determine your beginning dose? I’d like to avoid a big swing in alk for my SPS. I’m corner dosing 35ml of alk/day on the BRS two part.

Also do you literally dose all 3 parts at the same time during the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 10:22 AM   #9
azsoccerpop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_P View Post
Hello

I’ve seen in a few of your posts that you run this. I’m currently running BRS two part and want to make the switch to the TM balling method. I know the goal is to dose equal amounts, but set your alk first. How did you start on this? Meaning how did you determine your beginning dose? I’d like to avoid a big swing in alk for my SPS. I’m corner dosing 35ml of alk/day on the BRS two part.

Also do you literally dose all 3 parts at the same time during the day?

If you know the total approx volume of your system and you know you are dosing 35ml per day then you should be able to reverse calculate the amount of Alkalinity your tank is using per day. Take that number an plug it into a TM calculator to determine your dose. I would start a bit low to see which way the Alk swings after 24 hours. Adjust as needed. I am personally using Aquaforest and it took me 2 weeks of tweaking but I am now dosing equal parts of mixed Component 123+ with CA=420ppm, Alk = 7.8 dKh, Mg = 1320 ppm consistently. I may have to adjust Ca up once every 2 weeks from 415 up to 425 but everything is stable in a 665l sps system.

Last edited by azsoccerpop; 02/19/2019 at 10:27 AM.
azsoccerpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 10:39 AM   #10
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsoccerpop View Post
If you know the total approx volume of your system and you know you are dosing 35ml per day then you should be able to reverse calculate the amount of Alkalinity your tank is using per day. Take that number an plug it into a TM calculator to determine your dose. I would start a bit low to see which way the Alk swings after 24 hours. Adjust as needed. I am personally using Aquaforest and it took me 2 weeks of tweaking but I am now dosing equal parts of mixed Component 123+ with CA=420ppm, Alk = 7.8 dKh, Mg = 1320 ppm consistently. I may have to adjust Ca up once every 2 weeks from 415 up to 425 but everything is stable in a 665l sps system.

Thanks. I must be blind bc I can’t seem to find a calculator that does that.

Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 11:09 AM   #11
azsoccerpop
Registered Member

what product are you looking at dosing? Triton Core 7 has a DIY calculator on the website. Aquaforest has the same for their products at https://aquaforest.eu/en/afcalcen/. Any method you choose should have a product description or guide that will tell you how much you will raise the element based on a specific dose to water volume. Here is the product desciption for Component 2+ which is the Aquaforest Alkalinity product.

Component 2+ contains: NaHCO3, F, I. (Component 2+ contains 2 500 dkh/l. 25 ml dissolved in 100 l/27 US gal raises KH by 0,65 dKH (Alk: 0,23 meg/l)).

My Total Volume I estimate to be 665 l so that means 25ml of component 2+ will increase (offset) alkalinity by 0.097 dKH. My daily use is around 0.3 so I am dosing 75ml at the moment and holding steady at 7.8 dKh for past 3 weeks with tests on my hanna every 3 days now. BTW I highly recommend the Hanna Alkalinity checker for this. You can back check with a good titration test kit but nothing is quicker for me then the Hanna HI772

Last edited by azsoccerpop; 02/19/2019 at 11:21 AM.
Unread 02/19/2019, 11:27 AM   #12
azsoccerpop
Registered Member

FYI here is the Tropic Marin calculator which uses Calcium as the primary element but does give the result of the affected Alkalinity:
https://www.tropic-marin-smartinfo.c...iquid-set.html
I kept lowering the target CA until I saw the corresponding Increase in Alkalinity to match what my tank uses currently. I would likely start rounding down to nearest 10s place for for me 66.5 ml daily I would start at 60ml and watch for changes in Alk.

Unread 02/19/2019, 10:10 PM   #13
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_P View Post
Thanks. I must be blind bc I can’t seem to find a calculator that does that.
I just used the standard calculators and plug in alkalinity changes until I get the volume of supplement that I want. Here's one link:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html