Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2017, 10:22 AM   #1
EDJFA
Registered Member

Lighting problem

When I was on vacation a couple weeks ago we had a storm blow through that knocked power out for a little while.

When my office manager came in the next morning she texted me and said the lights looked funny. The tank looked fine, but the outage had caused the lights to lose their custom schedule and they reverted back to some other factory setting.

No problem, there's a option on the remote for "Sunny" which is what she pushed. Lights came on nice and bright. That program runs both channels at 100%. Problem solved until I could come home and reset everything.

Well, that was on like day 3 of me being gone 10 days. What I told her to do was turn them off every night before she left. That would have given about an 8 hour period of light, which should have been plenty.

However, what she actually did was just turn them on and leave them on. 100% on both channels 24hrs a day for about 7 days.

The one piece of SPS, a pavona that seems to be bullet proof, isn't looking so hot. It used to be a nice bright green. Now it looks very pale and I noticed this morning that a couple of the branches have some algae growing on them.

I'm assuming those branches are toast. Should I frag the rest of what looks to be viable and move it to a lower part of the tank? Or is there something else I should do.

I'm going to take a water sample to Corals N More this afternoon to see if anything else is off. It very well could be a combination of things.

Unread 08/16/2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Pife
Registered Member

Any thing to report?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 10:14 AM   #3
EDJFA
Registered Member

I did some testing thinking maybe it was something chemical that was off. No detectable nitrates or phosphates both with my API tests or with the tests Steve at Corals N More ran. My alk was a little low, but not horrible.

Calcium was at 300-320 according to API.
Mag was at 1400 with my Salifert test.
SG 1.025

I did figure out that my heaters had stopped working. At least I think they did. I had a cheap little thermometer in there that always read somewhere around 77. But I bought a digital thermometer that read 74.1. So, I upgraded my heaters to a Finnex Titanium heater with a digital controller. Tank now reads 77.1.

Admittedly this summer has been really busy for me and I just kind of let the tank be. Things looked fine, so I didn't stress about it.

I think it's time to step this tank up a notch or two.

As for the lighting issue, t seems like the pavona didn't fare very well. More algae growing on more of the branches. It's still got a bit of a green tint to it, but it's not healthy looking. Having no experience with SPS other than this one, I'm not sure if this is normal reaction to being stressed out or not, so I'm just leaving it alone for now.

The acans aren't looking as healthy as normal either. They're typically nice a plump, but they're looking all flat and puny. They're not dying, but they definitely look unhappy.

Of course the Fairy Dust palys and GSP continue to grow like weeds. They don't seem to have suffered at all.

I reset the lights back to the schedule I had before. Hopefully that pavona will recover. If the big colony doesn't, I do have another couple small colonies of it that seem to be OK.

Hoping things get back to normal. Maybe better than normal if I stop being lazy with my tank.