Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/03/2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Wrench
Registered Member

Slow zoa/paly growth.

What would cause slow growth of zoos and palys? None of my colonies seem to reproduce like they do in other tanks. I have a frag of PPE's that have had no new polyps in the 4 months I've had them. A frag of Eagle Eyes have grown 4-6 new polyps in almost a year. I have Armor of Gods that have barely grown to cover the disk they're on in 3 months. I have some Bali Safecrackers that were growing but have stunted and may actually be dieing off. All of the SPS and LPS in my tank are doing great. Colors on the zoos look ok, nothing stunning. Lighting in my display tank is 2x250w AquaConnect 14k bulbs. Most of the zoos are on the bottom. I also have several frags/colonies in my frag tank which is 12" deep and has a 250w 14k Hamilton bulb. Symptoms are present in both tanks.

SG 1.025
Ca 420-430
Alk 9-10 dKH
PO4 .05
NO3 0
Temp 79-81*f

Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2008, 05:26 PM   #2
650-IS350
Registered Member

ppe's some are notrious for slow growth...

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Jeff
Registered Member

I have found that tank maturity and feeding is key. I feed very heavy twice a week with a variety of frozen food. Give the polyps time to capture and start to digest with the flow turned off or at least low. The more I feed, the faster I get growth. I also dose vitamin c which helps dramatically (for me).

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote