Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2012, 09:01 AM   #6476
roktsintst
Registered Member

Hi Ching,

I have been following your thread from the beginning and I always have loved it. This idea i'm not wild about. I recently fallowed my tank (took all my fish out) and left the tank fishless for 8 weeks. Manjos and bubble algea popped up EVERYWHERE! Well within a few days of adding my fish back in, the manjos are gone! The problem for you is that only large angels in my experience will eat them.

I have used Joe's Juice before and it doesn't work. It will be impossible for you to get them all off the coral/rock. Even if you get most of them, within a few weeks they will all be back. Trust me, i've done it. Then your tank will look worse because the corals are stressed from being removed and scraped.

What you are proposing is a short term fix. They will come back, I assure you. You need to find a long term solution. A kliens Butterfly should eat them and most likely will not nip your lps. If I were you, I would buy a few beautiful large angels. They will eat them(or at least they do for me). They may nip your lps but what you are proposing will be worse for your tank than a few bites in some LPS.

Either way I'll be folllowing along to see what happens. I wish you the best of luck and I have always loved your entire system!

Ryan

Current Tank Info: 300 AGE Starfire SPS Reef*75g frag tank lit w/ T5's* Deltec 902*ACIII*4 400 Radium's*4-160 vho's*GEO 818 CA RX*ReefTek Kalk RX*Dart Return on manifold to a wavy sea*57 watt uv*HammerHead w/ OceansMotion
roktsintst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 09:41 AM   #6477
jgsalwater
Moved On

"The year of the Dragon:
It's about time to renovate my poor tank. This action will be taken by this weakend.
The outbreak of Majano anemone is over-control. I will take out most of the corals and get rid of them by using Joesjuice.
Then putting back all corals and do some major aquascape.
Hope the tank will look better. (or maybe worse)"

Ching,

Two points based on my experience trying to control Majano anemone: Over the years I have had several outbreaks of Majano. Copperband Butterflies have worked every time.

1) Joesjuice does work but going to all the effort you are talking about will still not be a guarantee that Majano will not return. Once they are in you tank the best you can hope for is controlling them. They will just break out again.

2) I have found Copperband Butterflies to be much more effective in keeping them in check. The Copperbands often appear not to be interested in eating them at first and it may take a month for them to start eating the majano and then all of a sudden the Majano start to disappear.

The problem with Copperbands is that they can be finicky eaters and can slowly starve to death once the majano are gone. I have found Copperband will often reject any dry food or pellets, slowly starving to death.

I have found following some of the receipts on different web sites for making your own food, by very finely chopping ( 1/16th on an inch) up mussels, claims, oysters, shrimp, scallop, (what ever you can find in a seafood market) and then mixing in whatever dry food or liquid you have on hand, making a slurry; which I then pour into ice cube trays and freezing the mix. This solves the Copperband not getting enough food issue. Just drop a cube into the tank once a day and watch the feeding frenzy of the all fish and coral.

Both my coral and fish growth has increased dramatically feeding the fresh frozen mix. My Copperband is fat and is the first one in line to eat.

Last edited by jgsalwater; 01/24/2012 at 09:51 AM.
jgsalwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 06:16 PM   #6478
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr_wertheimber View Post
Hey chingchai, have you thought about using one of the majano/aptasia zappers, rather than Joe's Juice? I had MUCH better results with one on my old tank, and once gone they really stayed gone, rather than Joe's Juice, where it seemed to me like I had about a 25% growback rate. Just my $.02, hope it helps! Good luck with the tank renovation!
fjr_wertheimber. Thanks for your comment.
Yes, I did think about the zapper. I will try it for sure.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 06:17 PM   #6479
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidoros View Post
Why don't you use laser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are too many of them. That's the problem.

Unread 01/24/2012, 06:18 PM   #6480
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Noob View Post
Wishing You all the very best of luck Chingchai.
I am sure the tank's gonna come out excellent. Really looking forward to this
Yep zapping the anemones is a better idea coz once zapped they stay dead.
Anup. Thank you.

Unread 01/24/2012, 06:19 PM   #6481
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBee View Post
Wow your tank really is amazing. Great job!!
Brittany. Thanks.

Unread 01/24/2012, 06:21 PM   #6482
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktsintst View Post
Hi Ching,

I have been following your thread from the beginning and I always have loved it. This idea i'm not wild about. I recently fallowed my tank (took all my fish out) and left the tank fishless for 8 weeks. Manjos and bubble algea popped up EVERYWHERE! Well within a few days of adding my fish back in, the manjos are gone! The problem for you is that only large angels in my experience will eat them.

I have used Joe's Juice before and it doesn't work. It will be impossible for you to get them all off the coral/rock. Even if you get most of them, within a few weeks they will all be back. Trust me, i've done it. Then your tank will look worse because the corals are stressed from being removed and scraped.

What you are proposing is a short term fix. They will come back, I assure you. You need to find a long term solution. A kliens Butterfly should eat them and most likely will not nip your lps. If I were you, I would buy a few beautiful large angels. They will eat them(or at least they do for me). They may nip your lps but what you are proposing will be worse for your tank than a few bites in some LPS.

Either way I'll be folllowing along to see what happens. I wish you the best of luck and I have always loved your entire system!

Ryan
Ryan. Thanks a lot.
I know that this method is not the best way to get rid of Majanos.
I will consider for the Butterfly and large Angels.

Unread 01/24/2012, 06:22 PM   #6483
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsalwater View Post
"The year of the Dragon:
It's about time to renovate my poor tank. This action will be taken by this weakend.
The outbreak of Majano anemone is over-control. I will take out most of the corals and get rid of them by using Joesjuice.
Then putting back all corals and do some major aquascape.
Hope the tank will look better. (or maybe worse)"

Ching,

Two points based on my experience trying to control Majano anemone: Over the years I have had several outbreaks of Majano. Copperband Butterflies have worked every time.

1) Joesjuice does work but going to all the effort you are talking about will still not be a guarantee that Majano will not return. Once they are in you tank the best you can hope for is controlling them. They will just break out again.

2) I have found Copperband Butterflies to be much more effective in keeping them in check. The Copperbands often appear not to be interested in eating them at first and it may take a month for them to start eating the majano and then all of a sudden the Majano start to disappear.

The problem with Copperbands is that they can be finicky eaters and can slowly starve to death once the majano are gone. I have found Copperband will often reject any dry food or pellets, slowly starving to death.

I have found following some of the receipts on different web sites for making your own food, by very finely chopping ( 1/16th on an inch) up mussels, claims, oysters, shrimp, scallop, (what ever you can find in a seafood market) and then mixing in whatever dry food or liquid you have on hand, making a slurry; which I then pour into ice cube trays and freezing the mix. This solves the Copperband not getting enough food issue. Just drop a cube into the tank once a day and watch the feeding frenzy of the all fish and coral.

Both my coral and fish growth has increased dramatically feeding the fresh frozen mix. My Copperband is fat and is the first one in line to eat.
jgsalwater. Thank you so much.

Unread 01/24/2012, 10:37 PM   #6484
bullitr
broke but happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Ryan. Thanks a lot.
I know that this method is not the best way to get rid of Majanos.
I will consider for the Butterfly and large Angels.
Sir,If you decided to have one large angel
May I suggest large adult scribble angel from Australia
By far the most beautiful large angel I have seen and it doesnt break the bank.

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2012, 01:18 AM   #6485
Isidoros
Registered Member

Quote:
There are too many of them. That's the problem.
We are using(our team) this one with great success.
http://www.survivallaser.com/Surviva...8_2257006.aspx
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=MVI_8679.mp4

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon
Isidoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2012, 04:44 AM   #6486
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Is that laser shot through the glass or just above the surface? I have never seen anything like this

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2012, 05:01 AM   #6487
RalfP
Premium Member

Sorry for posting this...
But have you read the text in the survivallaser link?
They state, that the protective glasses will only protect your eyes from reflections on non reflecting surfaces...
Doesn't this mean, that you'll go blind, even if you wear the protective glasses and catching a reflection on your tank-frontglass?

I prefer taking out all living rocks then.
Ralf

Current Tank Info: 870 USgal + 100 gal sump; 8*60 gal frag etc.; 170gal blackwater
RalfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2012, 05:02 AM   #6488
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidoros View Post
wow! what effect will it have on the glass though? could it potentially weaken it????

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2012, 07:40 AM   #6489
pulit
Registered Member

something tells me thats not the best or fastest way to handle aiptasia . personally i would pull the rock . then treat it in a qt . But it does look like fun

pulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2012, 08:14 AM   #6490
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Taking the rock out of a 55 or even a 240 is a lot of work but do-able to control a major outbreak of something nasty like those pest anemones. However, a tank as big as mine its really too much for most people to do (420 gal) now amp that up another couple of levels to nearly 1400 gal and well, having something that you can point and shoot would be a real boom

With that said: I purposefully keep those anemones in the refugium as part of my filtering program. I almost never see that pest in the display though because of my little helper shrimp. I never see the shrimp anymore but still find a shed skeleton from time to time

Of course every system has different problems and challenges making the shrimp a great option for some and terrible for others. I am pretty sure Peter's team has gone through about every option natural and through intersection by our own hands. I think here will be one of those places where "best practice" is highly dependent upon system size and inhabitants.

I am interested to hear what plan Team Toronto settles on and the long-term results. If this lasering idea turns out to work very well and safer than it appears at first glance to me, it would be a great purchase for a local store or reef club to rent out to members.

Unread 01/27/2012, 11:11 AM   #6491
bumski667
Registered Member

Your tank is amazing. Great to see the dedication you have put into this. Also thanks for the update photos!

bumski667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2012, 09:17 PM   #6492
Padrino
Registered Member

Chingchai,
I have been reading your updates for some time now but I feel like i should chime in here with regards to using lasers since I study and work with lasers everyday. And in no way would I agree with shooting a laser into your tank whether its through the acrylic or the top which would be much much worse.

There is a tremendous amount of radiation at many different wavelengths even though the primary wave length is perhaps fairly safe, it emits harmful wavelengths that are invisible and dangerous. Even in one of those sites that were listed above it states "However, NEVER look directly into any laser beam or its reflection even when wearing these goggles"

Lasers do not penetrate water well and refract upon hitting the surface increasing the scattered radiation. Without getting too technical, I will just say I strongly advise you don't. For those that are interested in this topic or have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers
Rob

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2012, 04:52 AM   #6493
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Chingchai,
I have been reading your updates for some time now but I feel like i should chime in here with regards to using lasers since I study and work with lasers everyday. And in no way would I agree with shooting a laser into your tank whether its through the acrylic or the top which would be much much worse.

There is a tremendous amount of radiation at many different wavelengths even though the primary wave length is perhaps fairly safe, it emits harmful wavelengths that are invisible and dangerous. Even in one of those sites that were listed above it states "However, NEVER look directly into any laser beam or its reflection even when wearing these goggles"

Lasers do not penetrate water well and refract upon hitting the surface increasing the scattered radiation. Without getting too technical, I will just say I strongly advise you don't. For those that are interested in this topic or have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers
Rob
Yeah if it's hot enough to burn wood I would think that it would do glass or acrylic no good not to mention your own health!

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2012, 10:07 AM   #6494
Briney Dave
Registered Member

I suspected much of the same but lack enough of a tech background to make that statement myself.

Hopefully there is a way to get ahead of the big ones then employ biological controllers. I hope I am not getting my threads confused but it seems to me that Mr. Wilson talked a bit about bio control of pests but don't remember for sure what results they found on Peter's tank.

I worry about trying to keep a fish that eats pest anemones long term as they need much more food than the shrimps that I use
Although many others claim that the fish work well and have a fine long life in their tanks

Unread 01/29/2012, 09:34 AM   #6495
chingchai
Premium Member

Guys. Thank you so much for your all kind comments.
I confirm that I will not use laser.
I did try it once and realise the crucial affect to the eye contact.

Taking out of all the rock work seems to be the best way. But too hard to do.
I also worry about my fishes.
Let me think what should I do....

Unread 01/29/2012, 09:46 AM   #6496
geaux xman
Registered Member

Speaking of large angels, Jawsee has 2 True Personifers, Conspic angel, Goldflakes, etc.

Thats if some large angelfish can help your situation. They would be some fine additions.

Unread 01/29/2012, 10:01 AM   #6497
roni
Premium Member

Sorry if I missed this but noticed your majano problem. You've probably already tried this but 2 bristletailed filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) completely cleaned out my majano problem. I would imagine 8-10 would do the job in yours (my tank is a 270)

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2012, 10:07 AM   #6498
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Guys. Thank you so much for your all kind comments.
I confirm that I will not use laser.
I did try it once and realise the crucial affect to the eye contact.

Taking out of all the rock work seems to be the best way. But too hard to do.
I also worry about my fishes.
Let me think what should I do....
Chingchai, I can't take too much time because I am about too tee off in Orlando Florida but I do NOT have any aptasia in my display tank at all. I did have an invasion of them in the early days but the best and completely 100% effective thing I did was to put 200 peppermint shrimp in the tank. It took about a month to see them start to work but they ate every one and I cant find any aptasia in my display tank.

More later when I get back tonight

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2012, 12:59 PM   #6499
newoe
Registered Member

Hi Chingchang, long time follower, first time poster. Sorry to hear about majano problem with your gorgeous tank but try the link below before any major undertake, good luck.
Raymond
http://www.saltyunderground.com/arti...?articles_id=2

newoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 06:36 AM   #6500
zaheda
Registered Member

Ask Paul B for a solution to your majano problem. Good luck with the changes on your tank. Your friend Mafia tank looking great with the led lighting.

zaheda is offline   Reply With Quote