Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/11/2010, 06:40 PM   #101
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef obcession View Post
Its amazing on how this hobby makes you insane!!! But in a very good way!

Awesume Guy, Totally incredible. Im speakless....
Sanity is only temporary.....salt water is forever!!

thanks for your support.

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 06:42 PM   #102
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmen0075 View Post
Amazing! Looking forward to more pics!!!
Thanks xmen0075, there are more pics in the funnel.

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 06:50 PM   #103
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn View Post
Peter,
I'm looking forward to seeing another top notch build from Canada! It seems us Canucks are not well represented in the reefing world!
I hear you guys have access to some pretty amazing specimens in the GTA; quite a contrast to w hat we get access to here in Winnipeg.

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to seeing this up and running!

Tyler
Actually Tyler I haven't seen the quality and diversity of product in the GTA. Its actually a major concern for my build. I'm thinking I may have to get a custom order from one of the marine farms in the Thai/Philippines region to get what I want.

Thanks for the kind words. Just remember it took us something like fifty years(I think, maybe more) to win our first gold on home soil..........we still have allot to do in this arena but at least this journey does have a destination in mind!!

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 06:56 PM   #104
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed12 View Post
Subscribed! (and I don't subscribe to many...)

My next visit to TO will have to be extended by a day!

I would love to hear what skimmer you've chosen for that system. I would recommend you look at some of the commercial systems built by R2K....but maybe you've decided already.

Did you mention something like "view from the above floors"? I couldn't reconcile that with the photos.
Thanks for the support. My skimmer for the main display tank arrives this weekend. All I know at this point is that it is eight feet high and self cleaning. The view from the other floors will become clear when I get the time to bring in the next chapter on the overall design philosophy from the begining. My problem is that I can only seem to type about three characters an hour so its gonna take time!!

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 07:05 PM   #105
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefaquariumnut View Post
Peter,

Its going to be very interesting and fun to watch you build this monster. I would assume the basement will be finished around the same time as the tank? Is the MARS system to hold all fish/coral in QT? Do you run geothermal in the house?
Thanks Reefaquariumnut, the basement/renovation will and is planned to finish before major activities begin on the main display tank. The fish room on the other hand is another story and I am very involved with that phase at the moment.

The QT is separate from the "Mars Bars" as I call them. One of the main uses of the Mars systems is to manage the coral to optomize the managed result in the main display tank. This I have learned from my friend Chingchai. Oh yeah, one of the bars is for raising fish candidates for the main display tank.

I wanted to run geothermal and in fact had initiated a project when I was informed that my requirements would have been too great for the size of the footprint so I had to back off.......more on that one later!!

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 07:11 PM   #106
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefPug View Post
Can't wait to see the progression - It is a monster! Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grennan View Post
anything that requires a crane has got to be good.
looking forward to the progression of this large project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS_77493 View Post
Just wow....nice tank. We want to see more pictures. :-)
Thank you all for your interest and support. This is all new to me and as I have noted I am a terribly slow typist so I need to figure out the balance between answering questions and documenting the activities in the tank. For the life of me I don't know how Chingchai did it!!!!!!!!

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 07:19 PM   #107
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerreef View Post
Well I must say that your tank is what I have had in the back of my mind should I ever move and decide to consolidate everything into one system. I am anxious to see the progression. As a landscape contractor I must say that your landscaping is also something amazing and picturesque, then I saw your generator and paver driveway and immediately wished that I would have used that paver for my driveway last year. You seem to have great taste in everything you do. Real class!
Thanks Jim, the truth is that I can not take any credit whatsoever for the gardens. They are my wife's pervue and hers alone. She has the talent and I am blessed with the result. She would be pleased with your recognition and those of others on this thread. She is not interested in anything to do with computers/ doesn't have an email address and in fact would not know how to turn one on, but, she sure as hell knows her gardens!!!!!!

I look forward to having you along for the ride.

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 07:22 PM   #108
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlala View Post
nineball,

What are you going to use for in tank flow? Closed loop, surge tank, power heads? I am really looking forward to seeing this dream come to life! You might want to think about opening it to the public and charging admission!
Its both closed and open with enough water movement planned to reverse Niagara Falls but that is a separate chapter. Stay tuned.

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 07:29 PM   #109
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentrob11 View Post
Love the landscaping! It looks similar to what our's should look like when done...
Awesome, I know what it takes to get there or at least my wife does. Please don't tell her you are helping your wife, I will never hear the end of it.

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 07:36 PM   #110
Posidion
Coral Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Its both closed and open with enough water movement planned to reverse Niagara Falls but that is a separate chapter. Stay tuned.

Peter
peter please dont reverse the falls as im directly in the next best path for all that water to go over the escarpment and down into Lewiston------> Lake Ontario my answer on balance of build threads Q/A is respond to relevant Q's only and leave the comments to a general thank you. I felt bad doing this at first but it was the only way i could get progress info in.

Unread 03/11/2010, 09:25 PM   #111
J.P.Silva
On the right track!!

Hi Peter
This is truly going to be a TOTM one day. It's so nice to see a big tank thread
from Canada. One thing I would like to ask, Did you buy your Rock from ORG or did you imported it directly?
If you need any help with this build let me know. I'm just around the corner
(Mississauga). We hobbies like to give a helping hand.

Paul

Unread 03/11/2010, 09:28 PM   #112
SleePi
Registered Member

Watching!

Unread 03/11/2010, 09:41 PM   #113
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.Silva View Post
Hi Peter
This is truly going to be a TOTM one day. It's so nice to see a big tank thread
from Canada. One thing I would like to ask, Did you buy your Rock from ORG or did you imported it directly?
If you need any help with this build let me know. I'm just around the corner
(Mississauga). We hobbies like to give a helping hand.

Paul
Its coming direct ..........Thanks for the offer, I will reach out at some point because I suspect there will be a likelyhood to call for advice before I plant the last frag.....

Peter

Unread 03/11/2010, 10:01 PM   #114
ccampbell57
Registered Member

Wow Peter! This is amazing!!!! I love the idea of the L shaped tank with viewing from multiple levels.

What a great tribute and what a great trip this build will be!

Cant wait to see it come together...

Death, Taxes, and QT'g are the only things I am 100% certain on.

Rarity and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Don't ask "how much $" a fish costs but rather "how much enjoyment" will I receive from this animal.

Current Tank Info: 1000g Reef system
Unread 03/11/2010, 11:42 PM   #115
nineball
Registered Member

Chris, thank you very much. I am looking forward to the journey as well. The feedback from everyone has been energizing and motivating to say the least.

Peter

Unread 03/12/2010, 07:18 AM   #116
zaheda
Registered Member

Good luck with your build.

Unread 03/12/2010, 07:57 AM   #117
jmaneyapanda
Commencing hatred

Your tank is bigger than my house. Loving it. Your home is beautiful too. Glad to see something like this in North America.

Unread 03/12/2010, 03:52 PM   #118
swissgaurd
Registered Member

go canada
or should i say go peter.
excellent build.

go to oakville quite often.im located in streetsville,if you ever need a hand dont be scared to ask.

vic

Unread 03/12/2010, 06:41 PM   #119
Ken_Baird
Registered Member

Good God, I just realized I have a 120G nano for a tank!

Are you using any local "reef" talent for this build (be it working or consulting) or is it all your baby?

Tagging along...

Unread 03/12/2010, 06:50 PM   #120
Dante_JoseCuerv
Registered Member

WOW!!! Now this is a crazy cool build! SUBSCRIBED!!!!

Good luck with everything, hope everything goes smoothly.
Cheers

Unread 03/12/2010, 07:54 PM   #121
nineball
Registered Member

Thank you everyone, I am beginning to understand just how incredibly beneficial it is to have the honest enthusiasm and goodwill behind you on this incredible journey. I am trying to juggle 17 balls in the air at one time at the moment so my next attempt to share the progress is a wee bit later than I anticipated. When I get some uninterrupted time at the keyboard without the "are you listening to me or playing on the computer" tapes playing, I will happily answer the earlier questions. Also, in keeping with my disciplined approach to this journal, I would consider the opening of this thread to be chapter two. I did it that way because I realize that the Kernel of what I presented so far is too often the heart of everyones interest. If we are going to learn from this then like Chingchai, we need to go back to the begining......before the crane. The plan......I don't have Ching's access to the unbelievable graphics designer that he had so I will have to cheat a bit with words and pictures (which I have allot of). I did have a plan however and I think the issues I looked at will be helpful for some....even if it doesn't involve a fish room with 30 tanks.

Soon folks ...... reeeel soon.

Thanks for your patience everyone, I know from experience on this forum that immediate gratification is a disease. So far your behaviour as a group has been classy and something to be very proud of! I'll try my best to rise to the high standard you have all set.

Peter

Unread 03/12/2010, 08:59 PM   #122
erics3000
Registered Member

It is tough to do keep up with things in life and than to document takes even more time. Thanks for sharing.

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
Unread 03/12/2010, 09:06 PM   #123
BRISK495
Registered Member

tagging along. looks like a neat project.

Current Tank Info: 100 starphire rimless in planning since January 2012. 100 Gallon Rubbermaid Basement Sump and 65 gallon refugium.
Unread 03/12/2010, 09:15 PM   #124
newtoreefs
Registered Member

Subscribed....Cant wait to see more pics!!!

Unread 03/12/2010, 09:17 PM   #125
JCURRY@WESKETCH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
VISION

I have a strategy to deal with my wife which involves reusing the same large colourful box which will become known as my fish maintenance box...Same box in and out every time.
You're going to need that box to carry your electric bill in from the mailbox.

Good luck it looks like it's going to be a nice build.

Closed Thread