Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2018, 12:25 PM   #1
ozorowsky
Registered Member

affordable chinese light with sunrise/sunset?

Hello all,

My reef tank is 36" deep; I don't have the extra cash laying around to spend 3k on lights. I have these 2 lights which look like euphotica 24" LED's and allow me to ramp up/down lighting.

I just purchased 2 150w viparspectra to complement my lighting and these help get rid of shadows from the tank. Looks really vibrant. However just realized these don't have a sunrise/sunset; I am not a fan of the timer click lights on lights off.

Is there a brand you guys have found that will either supplement/replace the 2 lights I already have that has a sunrise/sunset feature and is reliable? I think I want the 3w per LED right?

I mainly want to grow hammers/torches.

ozorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 08:47 PM   #2
saveafish
Registered Member

Have you looked into a break out box and apex. Maybe cheap strips like reef bright and use the rest as a timer setting. I know you said you hate the on off timer. But if you did a couple strips on a ramp with apex than rest as a click on/off.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 08:49 PM   #3
saveafish
Registered Member

To add viarsprecta makes higher wattage LEDs too.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 09:14 PM   #4
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveafish View Post
Have you looked into a break out box and apex. Maybe cheap strips like reef bright and use the rest as a timer setting. I know you said you hate the on off timer. But if you did a couple strips on a ramp with apex than rest as a click on/off.
I don't have an Apex currently so that would add to my cost

I am eyeballing these lights. I am reading negative reviews online (googling) but most of those are old and I'm guessing on early models of the light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do you think of that setup?

Unread 08/01/2018, 02:55 AM   #5
paulmartin
Registered Member

Hey buddy, I have a set of DsunY led's, fully programmable and for the money they are awesome. There are a few videos on YouTube, well worth checking out.

paulmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 05:14 AM   #6
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmartin View Post
Hey buddy, I have a set of DsunY led's, fully programmable and for the money they are awesome. There are a few videos on YouTube, well worth checking out.
Thank you. Yes i did find some videos on YouTube. I also researched on reef central and some reviews aren't so great. So always hard to know what the real truth is.

Unread 08/01/2018, 06:14 AM   #7
paulmartin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky View Post
Thank you. Yes i did find some videos on YouTube. I also researched on reef central and some reviews aren't so great. So always hard to know what the real truth is.
I haven't read the reviews here to be honest but i'm surprised they have some negative reviews. I am wondering if they are the older type, mine are the new slimline WiFi ones. I'm fish only myself but I do know people who grow sps with them. I have a buddy who has Radions and he is really surprised how good these are. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

paulmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 10:16 AM   #8
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

The problem is that everyone is using the Radions as the gold standard, whatever light you choose to accommodate your budget is going to be held to that standard. Ecotech has set the bar and unfortunately the price as well. If you choose a light at a substantial price reduction you're going to have to accept less bells and whistles. Don't be surprised of all the negative reviews.

What makes the radion so great is that you can virtually set each color to a particular intensity. That allows full control and gives you the ability to reduce the colors that encourage nuisance algae growth while increase the colors that promote coral growth. If I were you, I would make that feature my number one priority when choosing a light within your budget.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 01:27 PM   #9
steallife904
Registered Member

reefbreeders photon v2s??? I run them on my tank, they are probably one of if not the best budget friendly lights.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2018, 03:11 PM   #10
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
reefbreeders photon v2s??? I run them on my tank, they are probably one of if not the best budget friendly lights.
Thanks! My tank is 6 ft long, so even the reefbreeder v2's come out to like $1500

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48-v2/

Unread 08/02/2018, 03:12 PM   #11
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
The problem is that everyone is using the Radions as the gold standard, whatever light you choose to accommodate your budget is going to be held to that standard. Ecotech has set the bar and unfortunately the price as well. If you choose a light at a substantial price reduction you're going to have to accept less bells and whistles. Don't be surprised of all the negative reviews.

What makes the radion so great is that you can virtually set each color to a particular intensity. That allows full control and gives you the ability to reduce the colors that encourage nuisance algae growth while increase the colors that promote coral growth. If I were you, I would make that feature my number one priority when choosing a light within your budget.
Thanks! These have 4 channels of adjustments, weather effects, season effects etc. The weather/season are gimmicky but I really like the random cloud effect; gives the tank a little more life.

Unread 08/11/2018, 05:25 PM   #12
nikon187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky View Post
Thanks! My tank is 6 ft long, so even the reefbreeder v2's come out to like $1500

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48-v2/
yep thats what they cost.

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2018, 05:51 PM   #13
Jason9488
Registered Member

Crazy light prices....i have two $100 LED lights and tank looks great and coral is growing like crazy

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 05:11 PM   #14
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I have a 6 footer with Photon V-2's & it cost me a lot less!
Running 2 - 32" fixtures.