Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2019, 09:40 PM   #1
Planetmacro
Registered Member

A. clarkii pair

This is a 30 gal long tank that houses 4 haddonis, a pair of black clarkii from the Maldives and a pair go C. acanthops.https://youtu.be/8dnM3lCCsS0

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Planetmacro
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/uD2Dd82K67A

Last edited by Planetmacro; 01/07/2019 at 10:00 PM.
Unread 01/07/2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Planetmacro
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/n_mamGlHpdg

Unread 01/07/2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Planetmacro
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/lc-rj-jLF2g

Unread 01/07/2019, 10:42 PM   #5
Fiish
Registered Member

I love your combination, what skimmer and lights do you use ?

Fiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 01:29 AM   #6
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Thank you Fiish! You're not going to believe me but this tank is really low tech. No skimmer, no sump. Just 4 old large corner filters (the round ones) filled with crushed coral with heavy aereation, live sand and some live rock. I just started using the new Tunze waterproof LED Blue/White lights. They are submergible and held in place by magnets. I also use one 48" 5,500K LED tube. I've found that haddonis don't like too much water movement so I use a pulsing powerhead at a low setting. These anemones don't like too much light either. Haddoni anemones need a deep sand bed. I don't have nearly enough sand in this tank. S. haddoni and. S. gigantic live in sandy areas in lagoons. S. mertensii lives on the reef attached to rocks and needs much more water movement. At first I was using high power LEDs and the carpets kept shrinking and moving around trying to hide from the light. Now they look quite good. I feed these fish a lot as I'm trying to breed the Centropyge and the clarkii when they mature so I have lots of algae. Both the clowns and the pygmy angels feed on the algae. When the algae gets out of hand I manually remove it. I usually don't keep a fish unless I intend to breed it.

Unread 01/08/2019, 04:13 AM   #7
hottuna
Registered Member

Gigantea...live in the rocks in many cases...like very strong light and flow

Unread 01/08/2019, 08:12 AM   #8
ocellaris123
Registered Member

super nice pair

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 09:06 AM   #9
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Beautiful tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 02:00 PM   #10
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

are you sure those are a. clarkii?

they look very a. allardi to me....

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 10:40 PM   #11
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
Thank you Fiish! You're not going to believe me but this tank is really low tech. No skimmer, no sump. Just 4 old large corner filters (the round ones) filled with crushed coral with heavy aereation, live sand and some live rock. I just started using the new Tunze waterproof LED Blue/White lights. They are submergible and held in place by magnets. I also use one 48" 5,500K LED tube. I've found that haddonis don't like too much water movement so I use a pulsing powerhead at a low setting. These anemones don't like too much light either. Haddoni anemones need a deep sand bed. I don't have nearly enough sand in this tank. S. haddoni and. S. gigantic live in sandy areas in lagoons. S. mertensii lives on the reef attached to rocks and needs much more water movement. At first I was using high power LEDs and the carpets kept shrinking and moving around trying to hide from the light. Now they look quite good. I feed these fish a lot as I'm trying to breed the Centropyge and the clarkii when they mature so I have lots of algae. Both the clowns and the pygmy angels feed on the algae. When the algae gets out of hand I manually remove it. I usually don't keep a fish unless I intend to breed it.
With that tank size your idea is not bad. I also maintain a small tank with only the necessary equipment and I only have one flame angel as an inhabitant, and this fish is already 2 years old here. I admire your idea of reproducing these fish, especially the dwarf angels.

Unread 01/08/2019, 10:47 PM   #12
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Popeil View Post
are you sure those are a. clarkii?

they look very a. allardi to me....
I think the same as you

Unread 01/09/2019, 02:08 AM   #13
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. No, they are not allardi. I've had allardi in the past and will get a pair or two whenever my wholesaler gets a shipment from Kenya. Both species are very similar. I have two mated pairs of C. acanthus and one pair of C. fisheri. I pair them myself. I have observed them spawning several times per month under actinic light but I'm not prepared to attempt raising the very small larvae at this time. I have a pair of long nose hawkish that should spawn soon as the female is fat with eggs. I have no idea how thy spawn. My three pairs of Bangaii Cardinals spawn at least once per month but always eat the eggs. I keep forty species of freshwater fish so something's always spawning. I'm up to my eyeballs with fish. Need warm weather so I can start selling and shipping.

Unread 01/09/2019, 09:38 AM   #14
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

im going to continue to challenge your ID!

clarkii just dont have that body shape. additionally, the defining feature is their head stripe: all allardi have that wide stripe than tapers to a point, very triangular. another distinct feature is the stripe on the tail and how the center stripe extends into the dorsal and along the top. you just dont see that in clarkii. but you DO see it always in allardi.

i love your fish. allardi are always really enjoyable.

Unread 01/09/2019, 10:17 PM   #15
Fiish
Registered Member

Planetmacro, congratulations for your awesome job again.

Unread 01/09/2019, 10:21 PM   #16
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:

clarkii just dont have that body shape. additionally, the defining feature is their head stripe: all allardi have that wide stripe than tapers to a point, very triangular. another distinct feature is the stripe on the tail and how the center stripe extends into the dorsal and along the top. you just dont see that in clarkii. but you DO see it always in allardi.

I continue according with you. I will try to talk to an expert in the subject of ID, he is a person studied and editor of interesting articles on another website. I hope he clarifies the doubts

Unread 01/10/2019, 09:04 AM   #17
fatcat777
Registered Member

very nice fish!

fatcat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2019, 10:58 PM   #18
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Thank you.

Unread 01/12/2019, 07:34 PM   #19
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:

Now you got me thinking. The shape of the head and head stripe does look like allardi. I got them very small from a shipment from the Maldives for $8 a piece. When small they looked like black calrkii but as they've grown they don't look like clarkii anymore.
Check out this web site: https://amphiprionology.wordpress.com Lots of information on naturally occurring hybrids.

Unread 01/13/2019, 02:38 AM   #20
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Okay, according to all I've read, allardi has a white tail. These have black tails. Since they came from a Maldive shipment, the closest species is chrysogaster from the Seychelles. Chrysogaster has a black tail. Somebody please help me ID this pair.

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:57 AM   #21
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

Allardi juveniles start out with tails like you see on yours. Only at maturity do they have the white tails.

Chrysogaster come out of Mauritius, are exceptionally rare in the hobby and are never accidentally mislabeled (although lots of allardi are sold as chrysogaster.)

Fuscocaudatus come out of the Seychelles and are unfortunately never collected.

Unread 01/13/2019, 08:37 PM   #22
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Allardi juveniles start out with tails like you see on yours. Only at maturity do they have the white tails.

Chrysogaster come out of Mauritius, are exceptionally rare in the hobby and are never accidentally mislabeled (although lots of allardi are sold as chrysogaster.)

Fuscocaudatus come out of the Seychelles and are unfortunately never collected.
So when they mature the caudal will turn white? Can't wait! How do allardi end up in a Maldive shipment labeled as clarkii? I never really trust the collection details. Here is a video of the third anemonefish I bought from the Maldive shipment. https://youtu.be/h3B7D3BtgNE There were only three. Is this also an allardi? To my knowledge clarkii does not occur in the Maldives. The only Maldives clown is nigripes,right? I was holding two chrysogaster juveniles from Blue Zoo for a friend about 6 years ago. Only seen one other for sale at DD about a year ago. Thanks!

Unread 01/13/2019, 08:44 PM   #23
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
I continue according with you. I will try to talk to an expert in the subject of ID, he is a person studied and editor of interesting articles on another website. I hope he clarifies the doubts
Thanks. Interested in your friend's opinion. I posted a video of a third one with lots of yellow.

Unread 01/14/2019, 11:14 PM   #24
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
Thanks. Interested in your friend's opinion. I posted a video of a third one with lots of yellow.
After observing the last video now I have the clearest ideas. I lean towards Amphiprion chrysogaster without a doubt. I have sent a PM to the person that I hope will help us, and I'm waiting for an answer :leyendo:

Unread 01/14/2019, 11:35 PM   #25
Fiish
Registered Member

I received a response just this morning, but I had been busy and I didn't check my personal fb account. The fish that we have here is A.chrysogaster. I must congratulate you that this is one of the holy grails of the clownfish