Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2018, 10:14 AM   #1
hkgar
Registered Member

Attn.: Leopard Wrasse owners

I am embarking on the challenge of keeping 3 Leopard Wrasses. I just received 3 female Blue Star from LA.

They are currently temp acclimating in the first TTM tank. I realize they are picking eaters, so my question is how to you get them into eating? I feed my tank home made frozen combination of squid, mysis, scallops, shrimp, oysters, mussels, cod and clams. I also have frozen Mysis on hand. My plan was to hope to get them to eat the mysis and then gradually had some of my frozen. I also have pellets and flake available.

Any advice is welcome.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Cliving1
Registered Member

Hey hkgar. Just did the same with 3 meleagris from live aquaria. They arrived on Saturday. Only 2 have made it so far, but once they were out of the sand they were pod hunting. I took that as a good sign to start a mysis/brine combo. With a little hesitation, they started eating almost right away. Since you wont have pods, I would try all sorts of food as you mentioned. I've also noticed them eating baby turbo snails

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 11:54 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I would highly recommend skipping TTM for now and getting them into an appropriate QT that has some live rock and sand. Although they clearly can carry external parasites, the same things that protect them while sleeping in the sand also protect them from things like ich. Much more likely they have internal parasites, thus the importance of getting them eating. I have also found that they usually get interested in frozen after a few days. Those few that don't eat usually never do. Blue star females typically co-exit; meleagris generally do not.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Cliving1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I would highly recommend skipping TTM for now and getting them into an appropriate QT that has some live rock and sand. Although they clearly can carry external parasites, the same things that protect them while sleeping in the sand also protect them from things like ich. Much more likely they have internal parasites, thus the importance of getting them eating. I have also found that they usually get interested in frozen after a few days. Those few that don't eat usually never do. Blue star females typically co-exit; meleagris generally do not.
What do you mean by co-exit?

Unread 09/11/2018, 01:54 PM   #5
Cancun
Registered Member

IMO it is hit and miss about whether any leopards of the same species with Co exist. I have two female blue stars and two female Melegris Leopards in my tank. They all get along, and have been together for about a year. I also have a Moyers Leopard and Ornate as well.

As far as my Leopards, they all came from a LFS. They were all eatting frozen Mysis at the LFS. They were all at the LFS for a min of a week....most longer. I never QT any of my Leopards. They ate from day one. They also eat nori with my Tang. LOL!

I agree to get them in a stable tank with a sand bed asap...also get them eatting....a leopard who doesn't eat unfortunately looses weight fast and doesn't make it! Keep us posted!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 02:13 PM   #6
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
I think they meant co-exist.

Unread 09/11/2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
I think they meant co-exist.
Oh. That makes sense. Well I will try to find another

Unread 09/11/2018, 04:06 PM   #8
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Not sure if mentioned but Masstick is the bomb

CoralNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 01:10 AM   #9
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Most of the new fishes I've QT'd tend to gravitate to brine shrimp in the beginning. My ornate leopard was already eating when I bought it so I got lucky in that sense.
As for QT, the ornate leopard went through a 50 min formalin bath without major problems, then 5 days of Prazipro.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 04:32 AM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

You may want to spend some time reading the Leopard Wrasses Primer thread here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2369454

I did not add my at the same time, but they all live together and sleep at the same place. I did not do TTM with them, just add them into my QT system, which is full of pods. They hunt and get use to eat frozen and flakes there. Once they are use to eating captivity food, I release them into my 320 DT.
Good luck with your's

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 05:56 PM   #11
Cancun
Registered Member

How are your new leopards doing?

Unread 09/13/2018, 06:07 AM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

My new Leopard is doing fine but I did not have much luck lately. Over the last 6 months, I bought 4 Potters and 4 Black Leopards. Only batting 25% last 6 months because I only have 1 Potter and 1 Black to show for it. Both fish doing very well but only have 2 out of 8 is dismal to say the least. BTW, there is no eye disease with my black Leopard. It is light reflection. Sometime it cause the picture to turn out as if there is cloudy eye on this particular wrasse.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PotterWrasse2018081203resized.jpg (70.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg BlackLeopard2018091301resized.jpg (38.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg BlackLeopard2018091302resized.jpg (45.6 KB, 112 views)

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/13/2018, 02:02 PM   #13
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
My new Leopard is doing fine but I did not have much luck lately. Over the last 6 months, I bought 4 Potters and 4 Black Leopards. Only batting 25% last 6 months because I only have 1 Potter and 1 Black to show for it. Both fish doing very well but only have 2 out of 8 is dismal to say the least. BTW, there is no eye disease with my black Leopard. It is light reflection. Sometime it cause the picture to turn out as if there is cloudy eye on this particular wrasse.

Oh man! Yea I know that feeling! I lost my potters after two months of doing well, and my black Leopard after only a month! Disheartening to say the least!

Unread 09/13/2018, 04:12 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
How are your new leopards doing?

Thanks for asking
I moved them to a QT yesterday with a sand bed. One had been struggling since I got her, spending a lot of time on the bottom on her side. Just not looking great.

Once moved to the QT 2 immediately went in the sand and one did not and has stayed up and a about swimming and looking good. I am assuming it was not the girl that did not look to be doing well.

Today a one of the buried came out of the sand and is doing well. I put in some pods this early pm and just now feed some Mysis and the two are really going after it. Yeh

I am afraid the one still in the sand is the one who was not doing well and may never be seen again, which also means that I will not be able to file a claim with LA

But, two out of three ain't bad

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 09/13/2018, 04:52 PM   #15
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Thanks for asking
I moved them to a QT yesterday with a sand bed. One had been struggling since I got her, spending a lot of time on the bottom on her side. Just not looking great.

Once moved to the QT 2 immediately went in the sand and one did not and has stayed up and a about swimming and looking good. I am assuming it was not the girl that did not look to be doing well.

Today a one of the buried came out of the sand and is doing well. I put in some pods this early pm and just now feed some Mysis and the two are really going after it. Yeh

I am afraid the one still in the sand is the one who was not doing well and may never be seen again, which also means that I will not be able to file a claim with LA

But, two out of three ain't bad
Sorry about the one not looking good! But glad the others are doing good and better yet eatting! In my experience getting them to eat frozen is the biggest hurdle! Keep us posted!

Unread 09/14/2018, 12:45 PM   #16
hkgar
Registered Member

The lady that was (is) struggling came out of the sand today, but is still lying on her wide and not swimming. I treated with Prazi Pro. Hoping for the best.

Unread 09/14/2018, 02:18 PM   #17
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I don't generally have issues with Meleagris (I don't initially group them though) but have NO success with the black. They start out fine, generally eat well, but then gradually lose weight and die. Prazi treatments make no difference.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 09/14/2018, 02:20 PM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
Yes, missing the 's'. I don't have unlimited edit anymore otherwise I'd have fixed it.

Unread 09/14/2018, 02:27 PM   #19
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I don't generally have issues with Meleagris (I don't initially group them though) but have NO success with the black. They start out fine, generally eat well, but then gradually lose weight and die. Prazi treatments make no difference.
By black, do you mean the Blue Star (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)?

Unread 09/14/2018, 03:11 PM   #20
hkgar
Registered Member

Apparently she came out of the sand to die.

Last edited by hkgar; 09/14/2018 at 03:26 PM.
Unread 09/14/2018, 03:26 PM   #21
sacremon
Registered Member

Sorry to hear she didn't make it.

Black typically means Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Unread 09/14/2018, 03:29 PM   #22
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacremon View Post
Sorry to hear she didn't make it.

Black typically means Macropharyngodon negrosensis
That's what I thought but since this thread is about Blue Stars but ca1ore's statement confused me.

Unread 09/14/2018, 03:41 PM   #23
sacremon
Registered Member

Every so often I entertain the idea of getting 3-4 M. bipartitus, as I have a good sand bed for them and the tank has been continuously running for seven years, but then I remember that unless they are pretty much as large as they can get, the larger of my two Pterois radiata will probably consider them food.

Unread 02/03/2019, 12:35 PM   #24
miranda1960
Registered Member

i have a mix leopards in a 132 gallon... 1 pair of M. meleagris... 2 x female M. bipartitus and since last week 1 x female M. negrosensis (searching a second one) all doing fine... just going to sleep into the sand when my lights are going out .. they all eating frozen artemia and mysis... the only wrasse thats compagnies them is a mystery wrasse

A few year ago i had a.M chaoti and a M. vivianae but they came straight from the wholesaler without any quarantaine .. they didn't made it...it was just too early and they were weaken by the long transport...

miranda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 01:54 PM   #25
OrionN
Moved on

I added two more Leopard. Another Negrosensis and a Meleagris. So 4 in my 320, a Male Potter, two Negrosensis and a Meleagris. They are fat, full all the time and growing fairly quick. I would love to have my Negrosensis to change sex, but I may have to remove and rehome the Potter.

Potter:

One of the two Negrogensis

Meleagris

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PotterLeopard2019012701resized.jpg (49.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg NegrosensisLeopard2019012701resized.jpg (53.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg MeleagrisLeopard2016012701resized.jpg (59.8 KB, 49 views)