Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2018, 01:37 PM   #1
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Permeate Pump for RODI on Well Water

I'm looking to help a friend install an RO filter, but am fairly sure they only have about 40-45psi water pressure from a well. I'm well aware of normal electric powered booster pumps for RO ssytems, but I also recently installed a setup at my work which uses a permeate pump. I had never heard of them, and not entirly sure their purpose or exactly how they work. All I know is they use the RO's waste water ro pump in the new water or soemthing along those lines?

Would this be a viable option for me to suggest to install on a well water house with lower water pressure in order to better use the RO filter or increase its outlet pressure? I like that they don't need electrical power, and they are about half the cost fo a cheap booster pump.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 02:01 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Did you know that you can adjust their water pressure at the well pump?
Typically there is just a screw on the pressure switch to turn and "voila"... more pressure.. (usually a gray box or something wired near the pump)

To me thats the best as showers,etc.. also get better due to the increased water pressure..

But yes a permeate pump can be used too..

Unread 05/21/2018, 05:45 AM   #3
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Wow, thank you! can't believe I didn't realize you could do this before. I ended up installing the system for them and it was an occasional drip at best through the RO membrane. Turns out their water was only running at 36psi. I ended up bumping it up to 54psi and we will see how that goes. If it filters well then I think they're good to go. If not, I'll bump it up for them again to 60psi.

Kinda nice that I installed the system for them and that I got your reply because I know they had complaints of low water pressure when cooking or showering. I always just assumed that's what you get with a well.

What are the limits of increasing the pressure on a well system? I know I have my house (city water) regulated down to 60psi, so I imagine that's probably about where it should be. Not sure if there would be any problems caused to the well pump, or the pressure tank, or plumbing from bumping up pressure too much? Or at least not sure where it should be to prevent any issues.

Thanks again! life changing advice I should have known about ages ago

Unread 05/22/2018, 06:14 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Limits depend on the rating of the pump..
But in general 60PSI is "perfect"

FYI... You can also adjust the pressure regulator in a city water system too to adjust pressure... Its typically a gold looking bell with a bolt on top that you can adjust.. Just in case you didn't know about that one too..
Usually the city supply is in the 75PSI or so range (but that depends heavily on where you are located,etc...)

Unread 05/22/2018, 10:43 AM   #5
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

thanks, I actually was aware of the pressure regulator for city water, which is what I have at my house. I currently have my house regulated to 60psi, but may just bump it up to 65 or 70psi for better showers, faster RO output...ect. In small increments of course to make sure I'm not getting a water hammer effect anywhere.

My friend was quite thankful for the help with increasing the well water pressure both for the RO unit and for showers. I haven't had issues with mine, but a slight boost may be nice for me as well, even though I'm already right at 60.