Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2018, 08:12 AM   #1
artieg
Registered Member

Can you or can't you... add coral during fallow period?

Assuming you follow best practices coral protocol (dipping and quarantine), why would adding coral require a "reset" of the fallow period, when going fallow (no fish) for ich and velvet?

In other words, in theory, yes, coral and rock and other non-fish items can potentially carry the parasites. That is why you treat them. But assuming you take the precautions you would otherwise take in adding coral to an up-and-running tank, why would a "cleaned" piece of coral cause a reset of the fallow period? The point of the fallow period is to deny fish hosts, not to deny new items of cleaned non-fish hosts.

I've looked through 10 years of posts on RC, and find conflicting opinions. Is there some weird part of the logic here that I am missing?

Please, if you offer an opinion, I would love an explanation of the logic of how the parasite in the tank gets a new turn of its life cycle by adding a piece of parasite-free coral. It seems like the forums would benefit from a definitive verdict on this question.

Thanks!

artieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 10:23 AM   #2
scooter31707
Registered Member

I have added coral during my fallow process, but only if I was able to separate the coral from the plug. If I was unable to like a leather, I would not add it, it would go in my QT I had for coral.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 04:14 PM   #3
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

Reset. The concern is introducing new tomonts and free swimmers to a lesser degree.

Ex. You add a Fire Shrimp or coral which has a single encysted Velvet tomont. The tomont generally ruptures in 2-4 days but can take up to 20 days before releasing the dinospores. The dinospores can then live for up to 15 days without a fish host. Same issue with Cyrpt but the time lines are different. Dips do nothing to tomonts.

Unread 05/23/2018, 07:18 PM   #4
artieg
Registered Member

But here is what I don't understand. Then how can you ever add coral or shrimp to your tank, if it could possibly have "a single encysted Velvet tomont"???? Then every piece of coral potentially contaminates a fully clean tank.

artieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:20 PM   #5
scuzy
Registered Member

Quarantine thanks are your friend. Put inverts through qt 2-3 weeks is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:28 PM   #6
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

Quarantine all new corals and inverts in a fishless system. I used to think this was overkill but I just finished up my second bout with Velvet, which came in on an unquarantined Fire Shrimp. Humblefish did a nice write up on the other forum on Qt times for various non-fish livestock.

Unread 05/23/2018, 07:35 PM   #7
scuzy
Registered Member

This reason why I hate LFS that put fishes in coral tanks and invert tanks to save space. Contaminate everything.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2018, 10:52 PM   #8
chaaban
Registered Member

New DT almost cycled. Can I add coral and inverts only and start the 72 day clock on the day that my last coral/invert is added?…then follow through with fish which have had a tank transfer method QT process??

chaaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 06:38 PM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

As long as the tank has had no fish for 72-76 days, the cycle is broken.
For me that's overkill, I filled my DT with tons of coral through fallow, but all were purchased directly from the store which I trust based on years of buying.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 09:51 PM   #10
Louis Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg View Post
But here is what I don't understand. Then how can you ever add coral or shrimp to your tank, if it could possibly have "a single encysted Velvet tomont"???? Then every piece of coral potentially contaminates a fully clean tank.
. I dip and move corals to new QT several times and then they go under observation for a long time ; up to 2 months . I try to leave the organisms behind similar to TTM. Yes it’s a PITA but it’s an even bigger PITA if you loose fish and have start over again . It all depends on the risk you are willing to take. And is it possible my DT may end up with an infection , yes . But I have tried my best to limit it . Once my livestock has gone thru this much time and care , I have grown quite attached to them. I don’t want to risk losing them. And that goes for all corals/inverts and fish . Do what you think is best for you .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 10:06 PM   #11
Louis Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
This reason why I hate LFS that put fishes in coral tanks and invert tanks to save space. Contaminate everything.

Um , I cringe when I see that too . Yet I also see some of the fattest fish in their coral tanks too. Even if they didn’t do that ., contamination never 100% preventable , because wet hands, equipment and water hoses are always passed from tank to tank.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote