Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2019, 02:47 PM   #1
Dine
Registered Member

Need to make a decision on overflow setup

Hi guys. I’m new in that I’m coming back to the hobby after a long hiatus. I’m having a custom tank made (48lx24wx15h) and I’m getting to the point I need to make a decision on the overflow.

Is the bean animal still the preferred method for dead silent operation?

Is a “ghost/synergy” overflow any different functionality wise then the traditional “bottom drilled/weir” setup I have used in the past. If so I’d rather not have the eye sore...

The goal of this tank is dead silent operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 05:04 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes bean is the best..
Ghost/synergy are bean with external overflow boxes..
Dont bottom drill...back drill for a bean..

Bean is just a 3 pipe drain system..it can be used in various overflow box setups...
I actually prefer an internal coast-coast setup as I find it just easier and better than an external box..an external box can take up less tank space though..it just requires a bit more planning,etc to get right if you diy it..

Unread 01/06/2019, 06:25 PM   #3
Dine
Registered Member

I guess what I meant by different was, is one method (external, coast to coast, etc) quieter then another?

Unread 01/07/2019, 05:45 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
I guess what I meant by different was, is one method (external, coast to coast, etc) quieter then another?
IMO its easier to make an internal coast-coast quieter than an external overflow setup but proper bulkhead/plumbing height choices can allow an external to be quiet.
With an external you basically have 2 water falling points (over first weir then out of bulkheads moving the water from the internal to the external box).. with an internal you only have the first.. Water falling is what can make some noise in the boxes..
Beyond that its just ensuring that the primary full siphon can carry enough water to ensure that the secondary open channel isn't overwhelmed..

Unread 01/07/2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Dine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
IMO its easier to make an internal coast-coast quieter than an external overflow setup but proper bulkhead/plumbing height choices can allow an external to be quiet.

With an external you basically have 2 water falling points (over first weir then out of bulkheads moving the water from the internal to the external box).. with an internal you only have the first.. Water falling is what can make some noise in the boxes..

Beyond that its just ensuring that the primary full siphon can carry enough water to ensure that the secondary open channel isn't overwhelmed..

Looking at the coast to coast option I found a lot of DIY and only 1 place (Melvin’s reef) that seems to make an actual kit (and that kit appeared to still be external).

Also on the topic of external. Space behind my tank will be limited. Synergy, best I could tell, required 4” back there. Reef savy had a 2” option BUT it looked like you can only get it if you buy one of their tanks (I have a quote request but I’ve heard I better brace for sticker shock). What are some other popular options I should be looking at?

(Modular marines site is gone, that was another one I had seen recommended.)

Unread 01/07/2019, 08:43 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You are having a custom tank made...2 pieces of glass (if glass tank) or acrylic (if acrylic tank) is all thats needed for a coast-coast...If they cant do that simple task find another builder...
Its just an "L" adhered to the back/side walls..

Unread 01/11/2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Dine
Registered Member

Does anyone know of an external overflow with a profile on the external box that is as small as reef savys ghost overflow (<4in). I have tried contacting reef savy several times but can’t get a person on the phone and no response to my emails. The website does read out of stock though. So unfortunately I’m still looking. Space behind my tank is extremely limited so it really does need to be under 4in.

Unread 01/11/2019, 06:42 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/16-sh...ergy-reef.html