Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2013, 08:57 PM   #26
ojonas81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarinw View Post
I read here a week ago you were going with the WP40s. I am installing a WP40 this week on my tank. I'm hoking it up to my controller for full controlling power... at 100 bux, man I feel accomplished! I will let you know how I make out.
Please do. I an very interested in how to hook up the WP40s to my APEX.

Stopped by Lowe's after work today and picked up foam to put under the tank and a 32 gallon Brute can. The Brute will act as cleaning station for the dry rock for now and for my water changes later. Started to fill it up with RO/DI water and man does that take time. This is just 30 gallon. Filling up the whole system (~200 gallon) will take a lifetime.

Scheduled the tank delivery today as well. The tank will arrive at the shipping depot tomorrow around 5 am and will be brought to the house on Wednesday morning. Can't wait.

Seems like version 2 has the most votes so far. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve it even more?

Did yet another rock scape tonight. This is how version 4 looks like. Comments?

Version 4 - Front

Version 4 - Front left

Version 4 - Left view

Version 4 - Right view

ojonas81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2013, 09:05 PM   #27
footballdude2k3
Registered Member.

I loooove option 4. I like the look of caves usually, but I really like 4 the best out of the ones you have made. I just put up a 125 this past weekend that is cycling now.

footballdude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2013, 05:14 PM   #28
ojonas81
Registered Member

Picked up the stand top today and it looks very good. Still a little wet from the rain outside but should dry up very soon.

Also did a quick new version of the rock scape. Kind of like this one since it has a lot of possibilities with coral placement. Just need to make sure the flow will be OK all over as well. This is the last "training scaping" I will do outside the tank itself. The rock will be cleaned off and soaked in RO/DI water tonight until being used in the tank.

Version 5 - Front view

Version 5 - Front left view

Version 5 - Left side

Version 5 - Right view

What do you think? Which one is the winner? I am planning to carve out tunnels and caves in whichever version I end up with.

Unread 06/04/2013, 06:43 PM   #29
TKCC
Registered Member

Version 5 has my vote. Great swim channels!

TKCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2013, 07:58 PM   #30
ojonas81
Registered Member

The dry rocks are cleaned outside with high pressure water and are now submerged in my 32 gallon brute with RO/DI water. Will be like that until the tank is plumbed, leak tested and ready for salt water. Will change out the water every so often.

Unread 06/04/2013, 09:30 PM   #31
Unome
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojonas81 View Post
The dry rocks are cleaned outside with high pressure water and are now submerged in my 32 gallon brute with RO/DI water. Will be like that until the tank is plumbed, leak tested and ready for salt water. Will change out the water every so often.
I'd also do some testing as the rock sits. Just to make sure nothing "unusual" is leaching out.

It shouldn't but what's the harm in testing just to be safe?

And after it's been sitting & soaking for a while & nothing bad is detected, why not drain all the water, put some saltwater into the container along with a heater, a powerhead(or 2) to move the water and a small piece of live rock to help it get started seeding? Just a suggestion.

And, BTW, your stand is freaking beautiful!!!

Current Tank Info: 125G Planted FW

Last edited by Unome; 06/04/2013 at 09:47 PM.
Unome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2013, 06:29 AM   #32
ojonas81
Registered Member

I'm off to pick up the tank! Crappy timing that tropical storm Andrea is here today as well.

Unread 06/06/2013, 08:51 AM   #33
ojonas81
Registered Member

I'ts home!!!

The tank arrived just before 10 am this morning. Box was crated very well and so far I have not seen any imperfections. Will go over the tank more in detail later tonight. I was told by Miracles that I could use they foam boards they included in the shipping under the tank on my stand. That turned out to not work due to the fact that the foam was stuck to the pallet itself. Had to whip up a temporary solution so I could let the moving guys leave. Will see if I can fix the issue very soon.

Another setback I discovered was that Miracles did not put the drain holes exactly where the drawing said so two of them are encroaching on one of the support beams underneath. Will see how I will resolve that issue. Maybe will be fine just to carve out some from the beam?

First pictures of the new tank.

Unread 06/06/2013, 06:00 PM   #34
ojonas81
Registered Member

Placed an order with BRS tonight with the bulkheads needed, gate valves, filter socks and the ultimate WAF, the APEX Advanced Leak Detection probe. Plumbing to begin next week (after the support beams under the stand have been modified. I also need to soon start to design the canopy.

Will start tomorrow to draw out the plumbing schematics. Hope I can get good inputs from you guys on it. Want to make it right the first time.

Please keep the comments coming.

Unread 06/07/2013, 07:58 AM   #35
ojonas81
Registered Member

After a closer inspection of the tank last night I discovered a tiny crack in the front upper right corner. It is out of view but now since I found it I will see it every time. I have sent an email to Miracles to see what they say. What do you guys think, will it be fine or could this potentially be an issue down the road?

Unread 06/08/2013, 07:22 AM   #36
ojonas81
Registered Member

Inspected the tank even more thoroughly this morning and found two more scratches. They are both close to each other and on the front panel. Will send these new pictures to Miracles as well. Not the start I wanted with this new tank.

Unread 06/08/2013, 10:28 AM   #37
neuro
the cat did it

Great setup so far.

Sad about the scratches, but probably not enough to send back. Maybe a discount?

neuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2013, 05:56 PM   #38
BigBadBlenny
Registered Member

can you keep us informed about the problems I am getting back into the reef family and I am looking for pretty much the same tank you got from the same place.

I have heard good things about them I hope they do something for you

BigBadBlenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2013, 11:33 AM   #39
ojonas81
Registered Member

Sorry for not updating here sooner. Was away over the weekend and did not have a chance to write here.

I do have some updates regarding the tank. After I found the crack/chip and the scratches I sent the pictured to Miracles. Derek over there called me on Saturday afternoon and we discussed the situation. He was extremely good and took full responsibility. They will make a new tank and ship down to me, no questions asked. I did not even have to ask for it.

As unfortunate that it is that the tank had these issues, I am very pleased with how Miracles have handled it so far. I can't express how happy I am now that I decided to go with Miracles over some of the other companies. I have never heard anything bad about them and they have been a pleasure to deal with so far.

At this point I do not know when the new tank will arrive but my guess would be no sooner than four weeks, probably closer to six.

The good thing is that I now get a chance to build the canopy and have it ready in time. I am also still waiting for parts to arrive, mainly the skimmer and my return pump. I also have the bulk heads and some gate valves coming in this week so I can start the plumbing process. Will try to make up a mock diagram over how I want it so you guys can review before I start to glue pieces together.

Unread 06/10/2013, 04:10 PM   #40
BigBadBlenny
Registered Member

that's great to hear. sounds like they live up to the reputation they have.

I have only used acrylic tanks in the past are you planning on cementing the rock together at all?

Unread 06/10/2013, 04:24 PM   #41
ojonas81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBlenny View Post
are you planning on cementing the rock together at all?
Yes I am. Once I have the structure I want set I will cement it all together to minimize risk of rocks tumbling.

Unread 06/11/2013, 04:42 PM   #42
ojonas81
Registered Member

Spoke to Miracles today again and they told me I can keep the scratched tank. Too much money for them to ship it back to Canada. I am happy with that and may decide to donate some or all of the proceeds for the current tank to a local charity as a tanks.

So now I have a tank that I need to get rid of before the new one arrives. Any takers? Would prefer local pickups.

Unread 06/11/2013, 05:40 PM   #43
BigBadBlenny
Registered Member

*may decide to donate some or all of the proceeds for the current tank to a local charity*

good karma can't hurt a new build 8)

Unread 06/11/2013, 05:41 PM   #44
mattue84
Registered Member

WOW I wish i was only in your area!!!!

mattue84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 05:50 AM   #45
TKCC
Registered Member

[QUOTE=ojonas81;21602836]Spoke to Miracles today again and they told me I can keep the scratched tank. Too much money for them to ship it back to Canada. I am happy with that and may decide to donate some or all of the proceeds for the current tank to a local charity as a tanks.

Kudos to Miracles. I'll be in the market to purchase a new tank soon. Miracles just jumped up the list!

TKCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 06:44 AM   #46
ojonas81
Registered Member

Yes, Miracles have been nothing but a pleasure to deal with. They really want the customer to get a perfect product and they stand behind it.

Unread 06/12/2013, 07:24 AM   #47
Craigdillman
Registered Member

2 it has height and covers the space but still looks open and lots of room for corals

looking forward to see how the sump and refugim work out im planning on doing this in my new tank gravity fed fugue

Unread 06/12/2013, 09:53 AM   #48
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

I'd ask them to get the dimensions right this time so you don't have to cut your custom stand.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 11:17 AM   #49
ojonas81
Registered Member

Just to be fair here, Miracles did not do anything wrong with the original holes they drilled. Was my stand builder in combination with me not double checking that caused the issue. Now when I have the opportunity to adjust it make sense to adjust for the stand instead of adjusting the stand itself. Have some pictures showing how much off we are. Will upload them soon.

Unread 06/12/2013, 01:52 PM   #50
MelloW33
Registered Member

I have the exact tank from Miracles and love it. I picked mine up in a situation similar to yours. Someone had ordered one and the glass had a haze on it. Turns out that it just had some hard water spots that needed to be buffed out. Miracles told them to keep the "hazed" one and they sent a new one. I bought the "hazed" one on the cheap and fixed it up.

I've since taken the tank down to install hardwood floors and will be setting it back up in a few weeks. I'll be following along for inspiration.

Can you post some close up shots of the overflow and the holes in the bottom?