Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member

Regulator issue

Hey guys. I had to upgrade from my Aquamaxx Co2 regulator to a tunze. Im having issues with leaks now. I'm guessing the washer it came with is not sufficient enough. I have tried numerous amounts of teflon tape as well and it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Does anyone know what size washer would fit inside the connector? The one from my Aquamaxx is slightly too big.

Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 09:49 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The Tunze regulator uses a soft rubber seal ring that is set in a groove on the regulator. You should not use any sort of additional seal such as the typical nylon washer that comes with most bottles and you should not use any Teflon tape. The only seal ring I know of that will work is the factory part 7077.310. In general, I can't think of many ways this would not seal. I have used this regulator myself for nearly a decade and I have changed the seal once, they can be quite marred and have impressions and if tightened sufficiently still seal correctly, the only fatal damage is a severe pinch or tear or being missing. In my case a couple years ago it slipped and got twisted/torn and had to be replaced. You want to tighten it to just snug and then give it about a 1/8- 1/4 turn more, over tightening can deform it or cause it to slip. The newest ones have a hex fitting and can be tightened with a wrench, the older models had a hand tightening gnurled fitting, for that type which is what I have, I tighten to snug and then turn the regulator and fitting together about 1/8 turn more by hand to get it really tight. You can very carefully use pipe pliers but be careful to not mar the fitting.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 09:52 AM   #3
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The Tunze regulator uses a soft rubber seal ring that is set in a groove on the regulator. You should not use any sort of additional seal such as the typical nylon washer that comes with most bottles and you should not use any Teflon tape. The only seal ring I know of that will work is the factory part 7077.310. In general, I can't think of many ways this would not seal. I have used this regulator myself for nearly a decade and I have changed the seal once, they can be quite marred and have impressions and if tightened sufficiently still seal correctly, the only fatal damage is a severe pinch or tear or being missing. In my case a couple years ago it slipped and got twisted/torn and had to be replaced. You want to tighten it to just snug and then give it about a 1/8- 1/4 turn more, over tightening can deform it or cause it to slip. The newest ones have a hex fitting and can be tightened with a wrench, the older models had a hand tightening gnurled fitting, for that type which is what I have, I tighten to snug and then turn the regulator and fitting together about 1/8 turn more by hand to get it really tight. You can very carefully use pipe pliers but be careful to not mar the fitting.
The seal does not appear to be damaged. I just picked this up last weekend. No matter what I do, it will not seal properly. It seems the entire connector, front and back has Co2 coming from it. I can see it when I spray soapy water on it.

Unread 07/10/2019, 10:47 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Forward me a copy of your receipt or your purchase info (place and date of purchase and your address) and I will send a new seal ring.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 07/10/2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member

Quote:
Forward me a copy of your receipt or your purchase info (place and date of purchase and your address) and I will send a new seal ring.
Im trying to get a copy I through it. Any chance If you give you the store number and name of the owner that would be good enough?

Unread 07/10/2019, 11:23 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The store name, date of purchase and your address would be enough.

Unread 07/10/2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member

Quote:
The store name, date of purchase and your address would be enough.
He sent me a copy. I am PM'ing you now.