Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2019, 04:51 PM   #1
laurentwatts
Registered Member

RODI Station

I am in need of a decent RODI station for my tank. However I don’t have plumbing near my tank. I have room to put in a couple of water tanks (barrels or containers). Is it possible to fill one with tap then use a pump to transfer that water to another empty barrel or container through an RODI?

laurentwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2019, 05:18 PM   #2
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Where's your nearest plumbing source? Is this is a basement? Do you have a basement?

I run mine along the basement ceiling tapping into the upstairs sink

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2019, 05:32 PM   #3
laurentwatts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
Where's your nearest plumbing source? Is this is a basement? Do you have a basement?

I run mine along the basement ceiling tapping into the upstairs sink

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yes. It’s in the basement entertainment room. My actual pump (for the well) is about 15-20 feet away in another room. There isn’t a water source on any walls near the tank setup so I would have to run something along the ceiling (like do) or just pack it in to fill the barrels.
I could put a system in the pump room for my well and run some PEX to the tank area and just pump it to the barrels.

laurentwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I don't think you can do what you described.
The RO makes water, nothing else.
Usually with a 2 barrel system one holds the RO water the other is used to mix & hold saltwater.
Some plumbing & a pump with a few valves direct the water between them.
Search for water mixing station for examples.

Unread 08/24/2019, 08:00 PM   #5
neilp2006
Registered Member

RODI Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
I don't think you can do what you described.
The RO makes water, nothing else.
Usually with a 2 barrel system one holds the RO water the other is used to mix & hold saltwater.
Some plumbing & a pump with a few valves direct the water between them.
Search for water mixing station for examples.

Sure he can.

Barrel full of tap— pump at 30psi — rodi booster pump— rodi unit— new water to second barrel.

Finding a pressure rated pump fur the first stage is the problem.

I assume you are filling up barrel A at a sink, then wheeling it to location to pump it into rodi and barrel B?

All the rodi needs is a 1/4” input- you can get a John guest T fitting to go inline on any sink cold water supply, then run 1/4” line to the cabinet location and install rodi unit and two barrels. RoDI and NSW. You can run 1/4” line behind baseboard trim pretty easily- just pop it off, run line in the drywall ‘wet gap’ and pop it back on. I used to run 70 ft of 1/4 from a garage spigot through a closet wall and into a rodi unit. Pressure drop was maybe 3-4 psi. Mains pressure in house was 60 to start which might have helped.

My vote- run the line. Wheeling 320lbs Of water in a 40g brute or 400lb in a blue barrel is a pain in the ***. The first time you almost tip it rolling it over a door threshold, will be the day you wish you ran line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2019, 06:18 PM   #6
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentwatts View Post
I am in need of a decent RODI station for my tank. However I don’t have plumbing near my tank. I have room to put in a couple of water tanks (barrels or containers). Is it possible to fill one with tap then use a pump to transfer that water to another empty barrel or container through an RODI?
I'd put the RO closer to the source where you likely have a drain too. Either store the water there and pump it as needed or plumb the output from the RO to the barrels near the tank.

How's your source water?

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2019, 06:30 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Plenty of people dont have water near their tanks...Many just make water in the garage or laundry room or whatever and just pump the saltwater to/from the tank..