Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2019, 01:09 PM   #1
liverock
RC Sponsor

Good news for corals

https://www.wfla.com/mobile/florida-...pecies-in-lab/

The reefs here in Florida are decimated by disease...this is hope!

Where I used to dive...was coral reef forests incredible eco systems..in the keys back in the 70-80's...now all gone.... ...now the area is a desert...Craysforth Reef was seldom visited back then....was an AMAZING reef...now all desert...I was shocked........very sad, real sad.... to see this much change in just 1/2 of my life.....

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2019, 04:40 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Getting the corals to spawn in captivity is one thing, raising the larva to decent size corals another. But getting them back out into the wild to repopulate the died-off reefs is a completely different story altogether.
There is actually no sense in putting anything back into the wild until the causes for the die-off has been removed.
And at the end of the day a coral reef is a very complex ecosystem formed by hundreds of species that largely depend on each other. So putting some corals back out will likely not be enough to get the dead reefs back in their former glory anytime soon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote