Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/20/2006, 04:26 PM   #101
supertech3
Registered Member

Paul, Nice tank

Unread 02/21/2006, 04:14 PM   #102
Mdwannabe
Registered Member

Paul:

A 20 year old can put's it in my machine design process era. I stand by what I said. Should you be able to get resin to stick (to the outside) without obvious imperfections, your all that much safer, but I think 20 years in mother nature has done all to the outside of an aluminum can that can be done (but don't over-clean it). Again, I would coat the inside just to stop any deterioration, at the inner liner coating cracks, at the crush fracture points (as I remember it the coating was only 3 mil's thick), since no light will get there, and no algae will be growing there....Better safe than sorry.
That being said, what cleaning process are you considering before the coating process, please keep in mind aluminum is not carbon steel, and the coating we put on it was even less forgiving, should your cleaning product get under it (the lining)long term peeling is a definite possibility (not sure if it would have the strength to pull off epoxy resin, but chemistry is a strange thing sometimes) I think you are best off sun drying followed by oven drying before coating and encase whatever exists, as O2 will no longer be an available oxidizer.
Should you decide to do this project, I would LOVE to receive one (along with a bottle ), to put in my tank, just to be able to point to it and say...."You See My Past Life", and a REAL REEF! A reasonable cost along with shipping cost is not unexpected. For that matter, being a diver myself, and having seen these things in the wild, I would also like to latch onto a small section of chain. Ever thought about epoxy coating pieces of fishing net? They are the real face of a lot of reefs I have seen. Not sure epoxy would be required, but I have seen wear that does not seem to have been caused by friction.
Again JMTCW, but I do love the idea of showing everyone that looks at my tank, what the real world looks like, not what it looked like before "MAN" in his infinite wisdom has turned it into, though nature still seems to be winning.
Please fell free to PM me with any additional questions or comments so this thread stays what it was meant to be.
Oh and by the way, your tank looks great!

Rick

Current Tank Info: 59" l x 21" W x 31" T (custom 170 gallon), 3-400W/20,000K MH, LED Moon Lights, 1/4 HP Cooler, Ca Reactor, UV Sterilizer, 75 Gallon sump W/Fuge

Last edited by Mdwannabe; 02/21/2006 at 04:42 PM.
Unread 02/21/2006, 04:41 PM   #103
Paul B
Premium Member

Rick I won't be getting any cans until the summer. Although I have found dozens maybe hundreds of them I never brought them home. They really stink too because they are completely filled with thick mud and reek of hydrogen sulfide.
I also have a real nice aluminum cup about 100 years old from the Caribbean, I forgot which Island but they used them there before they had glass. It is completely covered in coral.
Chain is easy to come by, I have about 3' left and it is coated in resin. If I collect some cans I will just air dry them because bleach would remove too much of the encrusted material that I would like to preserve.
My dive partner found a 45 pistol with a silencer off Jersey.
If I get some cans I will give you a shout.
Paul

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Unread 02/21/2006, 05:05 PM   #104
Mdwannabe
Registered Member

Hydrogen Sulfide has no chance against what is in "Coke", and we got FDA approval for it.
Makes you think about what you swallow every day.

Please keep me in mind should you find a bottle/can/piece of chain, or for that matter epoxyed fish net, I love the idea of showing the real world, for those who don't have (or don't want) our underwater eyes.

Rick

Current Tank Info: 59" l x 21" W x 31" T (custom 170 gallon), 3-400W/20,000K MH, LED Moon Lights, 1/4 HP Cooler, Ca Reactor, UV Sterilizer, 75 Gallon sump W/Fuge
Unread 02/24/2006, 01:01 PM   #105
Swanwillow
goby girl

hey everyone: to nominate a special tank for TOTM (which SHOULD be done here!!!! hint hint)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=189

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Unread 02/24/2006, 02:53 PM   #106
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
Swanwillow, good idea, but not the point. I want the story behind the antique bottle so when my friends come over I can say, "This bottle is almost 100 years old and it came from Long Island Sound".
Eric, did you put that bottle in your tank? If so, did you take a picture?
I forgot which bottle I sent you. Now everyone wants bottles.
Take care.
Paul

Unread 02/24/2006, 03:40 PM   #107
barryhc
Registered Member

Paul, you need to invent a bottle that becomes a hundred years old after you produce it. Then there will be plenty to go around.

Will anyone want one if there are plenty of them ?

> Barry

Black and white don't exist, only "shades of gray"!

Current Tank Info: 27gal. hex "plenum" +16 gal. "fuge"
Unread 02/24/2006, 03:51 PM   #108
Paul B
Premium Member

OK, I have an idea. Send me full bottles of Grand Marnier, Courvasier, Chevis Regal or Kettle One Vodka and I promise that in about a hundred years I will send you a beautiful bottle for your tank, free, postage paid with a letter of authenticity.
This is not a limited offer, you can send as many bottles as you like

Unread 02/24/2006, 04:11 PM   #109
fishfanv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
OK, I have an idea. Send me full bottles of Grand Marnier, Courvasier, Chevis Regal or Kettle One Vodka and I promise that in about a hundred years I will send you a beautiful bottle for your tank, free, postage paid with a letter of authenticity.
This is not a limited offer, you can send as many bottles as you like
how about one of my favorites while i was in college at chico state -- crown royal would that work? lol

Current Tank Info: 40 & 30 gallon reefs
Unread 02/26/2006, 01:49 PM   #110
Paul B
Premium Member

I took some pictures with the front open, the tank is built into a wall.

Those two big grey lights were left over from a job lighting up the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan, I had to convert them to MH, they were sodium. The long white thing in the front I built today. The other one was kind of melted and warped. It is a vinyl fence post slit to about three inches deep. There are two PC actinic lights in there with an aluminum reflector. This time I installed that small fan in the center to get rid of some heat. There is an exhaust fan over the entire thing that takes the hot air outside the house.
Paul

Unread 02/26/2006, 02:00 PM   #111
11fishes
Registered Member

wow! 35 years! wow! my hero (besides BATMAN)

Current Tank Info: 90 gal. reef and it's empty
Unread 02/26/2006, 02:04 PM   #112
Paul B
Premium Member

You mean Batman is better than me?
Here is the new algae trough. It is made out of the other half of the vinyl fence post that I built the light out of.

And a close up of the light.
you can just about see the lagae trough in the back. I know it looks like there is no space for the MH lights to light up the tank but there is more than it looks like.

Unread 02/26/2006, 07:30 PM   #113
fishfanv
Registered Member

you are awesome, paul!!!

Current Tank Info: 40 & 30 gallon reefs
Unread 03/05/2006, 02:39 PM   #114
Paul B
Premium Member

I took a couple of more pictures.

I was trying to get the homemade rocks to the left of the bottle but without a white background it does not stand out in a picture.

Unread 03/05/2006, 11:41 PM   #115
RevHtree
Registered Member.

Very Nice! I really appreciate your dedication and longevity in this hobby. Your the man Paul!

Unread 03/06/2006, 05:29 AM   #116
Paul B
Premium Member

Thank you Reverand. I loved every minute of the fifty plus years I invested in this hobby. It's a good thing this is only one of my hobbies. If this was my only hobby I really would need a larger tank. As you can see, I got carried away with gorgonians this year.
Have a great day.
Paul

Unread 03/06/2006, 05:55 AM   #117
Micki
Premium Member

Paul, do you do anything special for your gorgonian care?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Unread 03/06/2006, 06:08 AM   #118
Paul B
Premium Member

Mikki, I do turn off the pumps to fed my fish and about once a week I mix some Selcon with some Kent (or any other) invert food and squirt some at them. I really don't know if it does any good but they should eat something. I have a lot of gorgonians because I wanted to find out which ones would live and which would not. Not all things will live in all tanks.
They also need strong curent which is difficult in my tank because I have mostly LPS corals which do not want much flow. The gorgs should be positioned perpendicular to the currect as that is the way they grow. That is to maximize their surface area to the food
Have a great day.
Paul

Unread 03/06/2006, 06:10 AM   #119
Micki
Premium Member

Thanks for the info Paul. How long have you had them? Have you seen any differences in some do well others don't etc?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Unread 03/06/2006, 05:02 PM   #120
Paul B
Premium Member

Micki, this one towards the right side of the picture is maybe 8 years old. It is the oldest and whatever kind it is, it seems to do very well. It has trippled in size.

This one on the bottle is maybe 6 months old. It seems OK but I am not sure yet. I think it is healthy but it is not growing, the very skinny one behind it died.

The second ont from the right does very well. I fragged it and the smaller one above it is the frag. It grew a lot.

The rest of them are not very old. All a year or two.
Paul

Unread 03/06/2006, 10:08 PM   #121
Micki
Premium Member

Incredible! I tried one once but it didn't survive.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Unread 03/06/2006, 10:26 PM   #122
thereefmaster
Registered Member

Paul, I love your dry sense of humor.

And your tank of course...

-Nate

Current Tank Info: 55G Reef, Coralife SuperSkimmer 220, Current USA 260W PC, 2" SSB
Unread 03/07/2006, 06:08 AM   #123
Paul B
Premium Member

Nate, you get dry from all the years with your hands in salt water

Unread 03/12/2006, 07:59 AM   #124
sunamoon
Registered Member

That is an amazing tank! Everything looks really happy. I too love the bottles.

what exactly is the algae tray for? I guess since i am fairly new i just don't understand the purpose?

Current Tank Info: PC lighting,DSB,120lbs lr,4 mj1200's, remora pro skimmer
Unread 03/12/2006, 11:13 AM   #125
Paul B
Premium Member

Suna, the algae tyray is there to grow algae. It has better growing conditions than the main tank so the algae prefers to grow there instead of the tank.
I get algae cycles every year or so because the tank is very old and because of some of the fish (moorish Idol, copperband butterfly) and inverts like gorgonians I have to over feed. This is not good for the water and it encourages algae. You can't have everything.
I also love the bottles, especially when they were full. I have fun emptying them.

Have a great day.
Paul

Closed Thread