Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2020, 10:13 AM   #1
TheLittlePrince
Registered Member

Cracks while drlling glass

Hi everyone again, I'm going to drill a hole in my tank for the stand pipe, but afraid that glass can crack. I tried it as described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBm3iDWcZg with a small piece of glass, but it cracked, and I decided to ask what may be the reason. I found an old thread with the issue the drill was wobbling. Mine does, too, a little, but not sure if that could be the reason. Anyway, any thoughts if the guy in the video explains everything correct, or should I try to change the drill

TheLittlePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2020, 02:09 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Seems you are a new user that posted some external images..
As such this site has "jailed" your post and blocked us from seeing the content of your post.. Typically in 24 hours or less a moderator will unjail it and allow us to see your post..

Just letting you know since the site doesn't and I didn't want you thinking we were ignoring you.. We just can't see you posted anything but a title saying "Cracks while drilling glass".. nothing else..

Just a generic comment based on your title alone..
"Chips" may be acceptable.. "Cracks" are certainly not..

Unread 01/13/2020, 02:12 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

Are you using a hole cutter designed for glass. Tempered glass cannot be drilled. It will shatter.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Brian M. Saxon
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Seems you are a new user that posted some external images..
As such this site has "jailed" your post and blocked us from seeing the content of your post.. Typically in 24 hours or less a moderator will unjail it and allow us to see your post..

Just letting you know since the site doesn't and I didn't want you thinking we were ignoring you.. We just can't see you posted anything but a title saying "Cracks while drilling glass".. nothing else..

Just a generic comment based on your title alone..
"Chips" may be acceptable.. "Cracks" are certainly not..
what do you mean?

Brian M. Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2020, 02:25 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Saxon View Post
what do you mean?
This post was started by a new user "ThisLittlePrince" and they posted an external video in their post.. The sites security features "hide" that post from us regular users and put it into a "requiring moderation" section of this forum. We only see that a thread was started in the topic listing page but don't see the actual post they posted..
I'm not sure of the exact rules but its something like any user with less than 10 posts that posts external content will have their post "jailed" until moderated..

"Usually" the moderators will "approve it" and accept the post and allow it to then be seen..
So far it seems that they are slacking a bit on this post as its been more than 24 hours..
@Anemone Can you "moderate" thelittleprinces post so that it shows up in this thread please.. Or let one of the other mods know..

Unread 01/16/2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
This post was started by a new user "ThisLittlePrince" and they posted an external video in their post.. The sites security features "hide" that post from us regular users and put it into a "requiring moderation" section of this forum. We only see that a thread was started in the topic listing page but don't see the actual post they posted..
I'm not sure of the exact rules but its something like any user with less than 10 posts that posts external content will have their post "jailed" until moderated..

"Usually" the moderators will "approve it" and accept the post and allow it to then be seen..
So far it seems that they are slacking a bit on this post as its been more than 24 hours..
@Anemone Can you "moderate" thelittleprinces post so that it shows up in this thread please.. Or let one of the other mods know..
Hmm. Doesn't show up as "moderated" to me. I'll look into it.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2020, 02:38 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittlePrince View Post
Hi everyone again, I'm going to drill a hole in my tank for the stand pipe, but afraid that glass can crack. I tried it as described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBm3iDWcZg with a small piece of glass, but it cracked, and I decided to ask what may be the reason. I found an old thread with the issue the drill was wobbling. Mine does, too, a little, but not sure if that could be the reason. Anyway, any thoughts if the guy in the video explains everything correct, or should I try to change the drill
You should drill a hole in a pie of wood at least 1 inch thick then clamp that to the place you want to drill and use it to prevent wobbling.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 01/16/2020, 02:39 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Kevin
Today is the first day his post showed up.

Unread 01/16/2020, 02:55 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Kevin
It still needed moderation about 15 minutes ago or so as I still couldn't see it when I posted my second response..
It has now been moderated and shows up to all of us non-mod users...

Thanks to whomever approved it..

Unread 01/16/2020, 03:00 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittlePrince View Post
@TheLittlePrince
Please describe the "Crack" and let us know what type of material/thickness you were trying,etc.....
Is that it shattered into pieces? (if so the glass you used was tempered and cannot be drilled..)
If it was just a chip or even a crack you likely applied too much pressure at one point or another.. It is quite easy to crack typical single pane "window" glass when "practicing"..
Even the forces generated by the drills torque of stopping /starting is enough to cause it to crack..
Very light pressure is all thats required..

If you chipped out the back side as the bit was completing the hole then you used too much pressure at the end and you can also help that some by using a backer board of plywood or whatever on the backside of the hole..

Unread 01/16/2020, 04:54 PM   #11
Brian M. Saxon
In Memoriam

Quote:

Thank you

Brian M. Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2020, 09:52 PM   #12
TheLittlePrince
Registered Member

Quote:
@TheLittlePrince
Please describe the "Crack" and let us know what type of material/thickness you were trying,etc.....
Is that it shattered into pieces? (if so the glass you used was tempered and cannot be drilled..)
If it was just a chip or even a crack you likely applied too much pressure at one point or another.. It is quite easy to crack typical single pane "window" glass when "practicing"..
Even the forces generated by the drills torque of stopping /starting is enough to cause it to crack..
Very light pressure is all thats required..

If you chipped out the back side as the bit was completing the hole then you used too much pressure at the end and you can also help that some by using a backer board of plywood or whatever on the backside of the hole..
Well, I dealt with the problem by myself, had to buy a new drill for this, though. There was no issue with the glass, just something with a mechanism, all bits were loose, and I dod not use special ones for glass. By the way, not promoting, but really, bought bosch from here https://wisepick.org/best-cordless-drill and a 40-piece set of bits and still was cheaper than de Walt from that list.

P.S. and one more thing, I saw you were discussing moderation, and the problem that users do not see my posts, because I registered recently. I also have the problem that when I'm trying to leave a reply the system logs me out

TheLittlePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2020, 06:54 AM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

@TheLittlePrince seems you did it again as you posted an external link to the place you bought the drill. Your post is again hidden requiring moderation.
I only know what you wrote as you quoted me and the email contains your post content.

As to why you are being logged out...You didnt check the remember me box when logging in. Please do so and that will likely be fixed.