Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2021, 01:44 PM   #1
AJT
Registered Member

Has anyone fed a Filter Roller with a pump?

I have a 400 gal & would love to get rid of filter socks but there is no room where the overflows drain into the sump.

Has anyone fed filter rollers with a submersible pump instead of gravity fed by overflows?

Thanks
Andy

Current Tank Info: 380 Gallon, Lit by 12 G3 Pros
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

A question--
If socks are removed does detritus stay in that chamber, or does it flow through the sump?
Somehow the detritus has to be kept in place for the pump to get it to the filter roller & in that case I see no reason not to work.

Unread 04/14/2021, 05:47 PM   #3
AJT
Registered Member

The detritus would probably settle to the bottom in that chamber as the overflow is on the top, guess i could pick up a majority of it with a pump

Current Tank Info: 380 Gallon, Lit by 12 G3 Pros
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2021, 05:42 AM   #4
fishgate
Registered Member

Most of the ditreous will collect in your center compartment but some will also settle in your drain (1st) section. So if you have a lot of rubble in your 2nd section it could be a pain to remove.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2021, 08:30 AM   #5
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
I have a 400 gal & would love to get rid of filter socks but there is no room where the overflows drain into the sump.

Has anyone fed filter rollers with a submersible pump instead of gravity fed by overflows?

Thanks
Andy

How about a picture of the area we’re talking about? Are you using filter socks?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2021, 11:22 AM   #6
vosdetailing
Registered Member

So my 2 cents is keep your filter socks, I have the Clarisea 5000 on my 160 total volume tank and I’m changing rolls every 25-28 days at $35 each roll I’m not finding it worth it at all. I found a guy for half the price on rolls but now he can not get that material any longer. I like the unit but dam it’s just another expense. Clarisea says up to 3 months but when I have 10 fish and they get hungry what is a guy supposed to do?

So I did this and going to see how it works out. I wash 150’ roll with bleach (like we wash our socks) and rolled it back up. Granted I cant roll it up as tite as original but if I can get a extra month it may be worth my time to design a spooling tool to reroll the wash fleece.

vosdetailing is offline   Reply With Quote