Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Acropower Coincidence?

So, I finally jumped on the amino bandwagon one month ago. I decided to start with Acropower because it’s cheap. Has anyone had crazy results with Acropower specifically? See my alk consumption rate since starting. Nothing else changed so I’m contributing it to Acropower unless someone can prove otherwise!

Day 1. Dec.13th alk consumption 5.5ml per day

Day 36. Jan. 19th alk consumption 45.1ml per day

Because looks can be deceiving, this is the best way I can measure growth. Anyone else seeing crazy numbers like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djbeasley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 11:21 AM   #2
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Also battling small patches of Cyano since around 2 weeks of dosing. I don’t think it’s a flow issue, definitely not a nutrient issue. Running between 3-5 no3 and .05 po4

Unread 01/19/2020, 11:25 AM   #3
TanksDad13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbeasley05 View Post
Acropower

Either that or there is an issue with your dosing, clogged line, sucking air... have you verified that you’re actually dosing that amount?

The other thing I would look at is your pH swing, the higher it is the easier it is for ALK consumption. My tank lives, normally, between 8.1x-8.4x. We had a bunch of people over and the CO2 in the house went up, the pH dropped 8.0x-8.1x, I saw an ALK spike in my 28 which is in the living room.

Please understand I’m not saying you’re wrong, but providing other thing to debunk in search of the most likely answer.

Current Tank Info: 28 Gal Nano Mixed Reef
TanksDad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 11:28 AM   #4
tubbsiewubbsie
Registered Member

I tried aminos for about 2 weeks, cyano broke out so I stopped. I did not see an increase in alk consumption (90 ml daily) but then again I probably did not dose long enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tubbsiewubbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksDad13 View Post
Either that or there is an issue with your dosing, clogged line, sucking air... have you verified that you’re actually dosing that amount?

The other thing I would look at is your pH swing, the higher it is the easier it is for ALK consumption. My tank lives, normally, between 8.1x-8.4x. We had a bunch of people over and the CO2 in the house went up, the pH dropped 8.0x-8.1x, I saw an ALK spike in my 28 which is in the living room.

Please understand I’m not saying you’re wrong, but providing other thing to debunk in search of the most likely answer.

Absolutely appreciate things that I’m not thinking of! I know it’s dosing since I’ve had to start topping off my dosing container a lot more. I rarely check ph so I will definitely look into that.

Unread 01/19/2020, 02:11 PM   #6
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I saw cyano and dinoflagellates with it.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 02:27 PM   #7
smoothdog
Registered Member

I've been using it with no issues. Colors seem to be better with it. I ran out and forgot to order more for a couple weeks and noticed faded colors that started coming back after dosing again. That said, my nitrates and phosphates read 0 every time I test. If your nutrients are high, I would suspect that adding extra aminos to the equation would just cause issues.

Current Tank Info: 150DD SPS dominant mixed reef. 100g sump/fuge, 6'x28"x12" frag tank, Diablo xs200 skimmer, Apex controller, Custom GEO 824 calcium reactor, panworld 200PS return pump. Lumenmax Elite reflector with Radium 250HQI bulb and 3 AI 32 HDs.
smoothdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 04:45 PM   #8
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothdog View Post
I've been using it with no issues. Colors seem to be better with it. I ran out and forgot to order more for a couple weeks and noticed faded colors that started coming back after dosing again. That said, my nitrates and phosphates read 0 every time I test. If your nutrients are high, I would suspect that adding extra aminos to the equation would just cause issues.

What would you consider high?

Unread 01/21/2020, 08:13 PM   #9
smoothdog
Registered Member

Anything over 5-10 nitrate and over .05 phos, but that's just me. Opinions vary. My main point was that I think aminos are better suited to tanks with especially low nutrients.

Current Tank Info: 150DD SPS dominant mixed reef. 100g sump/fuge, 6'x28"x12" frag tank, Diablo xs200 skimmer, Apex controller, Custom GEO 824 calcium reactor, panworld 200PS return pump. Lumenmax Elite reflector with Radium 250HQI bulb and 3 AI 32 HDs.
smoothdog is offline   Reply With Quote