Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2010, 05:47 AM   #251
Scungili
Registered Member

bump

Scungili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 06:20 AM   #252
jdargonaut
Registered Member

I also want to go with solatubes, but at $350 ea for 14", I was thinking about going for a full skylight and wrapping the skylight shaft with solatube material. Anyone try this yet? Think it would get the same effect?

I'm also thinking it might light the tank more evenly.

jdargonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 06:27 AM   #253
Reefski's
Registered Member

yes i did. it really works.

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 07:47 AM   #254
camaroboy8691
Registered Member

hmmm that skylight idea may be the ticket , allowing even lighting rather than "spot" lighting like the solar tubes do ..... anyone know the material in which the solar tubes are made of ? the reflective part ? it might be possible to buy the material and make the tubes yourself or the enclosure to direct light down

off to google i go .... need to source the material . lol

camaroboy8691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 08:40 AM   #255
David - Miami
Aquanot!

Wow, sorry to hear about the crash. I live in an apartment, but when I move to a house I had already decided to go with a similar setup to yours. I wonder what that chemical did.

Impressive Reefski. Do you have a thread as well?

Unread 03/17/2010, 08:47 AM   #256
Reefski's
Registered Member

this is what i used. http://www.anomet.com/index.html the miro 4. same stuff the reflector companies use.

you can see my thread by clicking on my homepage.

Carl

Unread 03/17/2010, 08:47 AM   #257
swenholz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scungili View Post
Has anyone tried regular skylights?

I want to go solar, but I don't want the ugly bumps on my roof. (being that you can see it from the front) I've been meaning to put some skylights in my house and I could just frame on in directly over my tank and I have some ideas on how to work in the actinics.
I am planning on using a 24"x48" standard skylight for mine and channel the light to 10-12" from the surface of the water. Still in the construction phase though.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge", "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" - French Taunter (John Cleese)

eznet2u - Soap will not remove Jalapeno juice from tender bits.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef in wall/peninsula (Under Construction)
swenholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 11:06 AM   #258
mcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUILLO1 View Post
I got mine from rosco. I got number 357 royal lavender, its just hard to see how dark they are from the online samples.
It says on their website that the #357 only has 5% transmission. That's one of the lowest light transmission rates I see listed.

If one looks at the data sheet (little, unlabeled graph icon) for this filter, it's pretty obvious that most visible light (around and through the green wavelengths) is blocked almost completely. 40-50% of blue light is allowed through, but almost 90% of red light is allowed.

If you could test another filter, I'd suggest maybe #3313 or #3308 which are primarily intended to absorb some of the green and yellow hues and transmit most all the rest of the light.

Really all you're trying to do (I think) is to tailor the look of daylight to be more blue - more to your tastes. I'm pretty sure this just translates to filtering out some of the green and yellow light, but otherwise transmitting as much of the rest of the light as possible to your corals.

It might be worth calling them (800# and they are local to Glendale, CA, 818 area code) to consult a bit too....they have many many variations, several of which appear to be pretty close to what you'd want. Someone expert with their product line could probably point you in the right direction quickly. Also lots of info in their "Tech Info" area about selecting and using filters.

-Matt

P.S. I don't know jack about filters, but was intrigued by the post and had to start reading! Thanks!!

mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 11:13 AM   #259
mcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUILLO1 View Post
i went with the brand Solatubes and I am using 3 14inch tubes. Look at solatubes website they show how much light different areas of the country will get through tubes.
They don't qualify for the tax credit the smaller tubes do, but Solatube also makes a 21" tube, FYI.

-Matt

mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 11:14 AM   #260
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarroll View Post
It says on their website that the #357 only has 5% transmission. That's one of the lowest light transmission rates I see listed.

If one looks at the data sheet (little, unlabeled graph icon) for this filter, it's pretty obvious that most visible light (around and through the green wavelengths) is blocked almost completely. 40-50% of blue light is allowed through, but almost 90% of red light is allowed.

If you could test another filter, I'd suggest maybe #3313 or #3308 which are primarily intended to absorb some of the green and yellow hues and transmit most all the rest of the light.

Really all you're trying to do (I think) is to tailor the look of daylight to be more blue - more to your tastes. I'm pretty sure this just translates to filtering out some of the green and yellow light, but otherwise transmitting as much of the rest of the light as possible to your corals.

It might be worth calling them (800# and they are local to Glendale, CA, 818 area code) to consult a bit too....they have many many variations, several of which appear to be pretty close to what you'd want. Someone expert with their product line could probably point you in the right direction quickly. Also lots of info in their "Tech Info" area about selecting and using filters.

-Matt

P.S. I don't know jack about filters, but was intrigued by the post and had to start reading! Thanks!!
I ended up buying some plastic films from an Arts & Crafts store. I forgot what they call them but they are way cheaper than the ones I ordered online. I still ended up taking them off a month later.

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 11:18 AM   #261
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarroll View Post
They don't qualify for the tax credit the smaller tubes do, but Solatube also makes a 21" tube, FYI.

-Matt
I wasn't aware of any tax credits but I went with the 14" because it was a better fit to where my tank was set. If I ever set a tank at home I would most likely use the 21" tubes.

Unread 03/17/2010, 11:22 AM   #262
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefski's View Post
got to love the sun light right Reefski......From now until October I wont even run a heater in my tank. I just unplugged it yesterday. I have a fan that cools it down when it gets a little hot from the T5's. My tubes have paid for themselves 3 times over.

Unread 03/17/2010, 12:41 PM   #263
Penguintheory
Registered Member

Awesome set-up! Nice job

Penguintheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 12:49 PM   #264
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguintheory View Post
Awesome set-up! Nice job
thanx

Unread 03/17/2010, 02:51 PM   #265
david pinder
Registered Member

I did 3, 21 inch yubes on 2 of my tanks. Cut my lighting 60% on 1200 gal the and 95% on the 600 gal there I run only 55 wts of leds for a few hours after dark for viewing. Have had problems with bleaching sps on the first tank but 10 days later the second tank with little supplements is doing great. Did hang the tubes differntly on second tank and thinking about redoing the first.

david pinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 08:15 PM   #266
erics3000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david pinder View Post
I did 3, 21 inch yubes on 2 of my tanks. Cut my lighting 60% on 1200 gal the and 95% on the 600 gal there I run only 55 wts of leds for a few hours after dark for viewing. Have had problems with bleaching sps on the first tank but 10 days later the second tank with little supplements is doing great. Did hang the tubes differntly on second tank and thinking about redoing the first.
DO you have any pics or a thread?

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 10:06 PM   #267
Scungili
Registered Member

Quote:
can we see some more pics of your set-up? Man, there is no light like sunlight!

Scungili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2010, 03:52 AM   #268
david pinder
Registered Member

I have pics dont know how to post here

david pinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2010, 05:39 AM   #269
Reefski's
Registered Member

get a photobucket.com account and post there and then put the link in your post.

click on my avatar and then homepage and it will take you to my tank build thread. i have had lots of issues with my tank not related to the sun light. i am going to be emptying my tank to rebuild it in the next few weeks.

Carl

Unread 03/18/2010, 06:47 AM   #270
jdargonaut
Registered Member

That looks awesome Reefski, exactly what I was picturing in my head. Thanks for the info.

jdargonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2010, 09:31 AM   #271
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
get a photobucket.com account and post there and then put the link in your post.

click on my avatar and then homepage and it will take you to my tank build thread. i have had lots of issues with my tank not related to the sun light. i am going to be emptying my tank to rebuild it in the next few weeks.

Carl
you serious man.....What sort of issues are you having?

Unread 03/18/2010, 10:04 AM   #272
David - Miami
Aquanot!

Maybe it is similar to his chemi clean problem?

Unread 03/18/2010, 11:26 AM   #273
Reefski's
Registered Member

check my thread for many more details.

Unread 04/01/2010, 12:15 PM   #274
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
check my thread for many more details.
I just read over your thread.....That sux that you had so many problems with your corals. I hope you can pin point what is causing your problems.

Unread 04/01/2010, 12:20 PM   #275
GUILLO1
Registered Member

i haven't up dated this thread in a while mostly because I had what I thought was a really bad crash. I treated my tank with chemi clean and something went really bad.

It looked like I was going to loose most of my SPS but they all made an incredible return. Many still have lots of areas with dead flesh but it seems like its not killing them no more.

I'll try and bring my camera tomorrow so that i could take some pictures.