Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2019, 04:25 PM   #1
SuperAni
Registered Member

Will This Bubble Trap Work?

Hello reefers! First and foremost excuse the wiring disaster (control board in the works). So I had plans to divide my skimmer chamber into a refugium to supplement my feeding. The problem that I'm having is if I remove the sponge in the bubble trap then I'm just getting micro bubbles in my display. I've tried varying the level and flow with no luck. I also only have the one baffle dividing the skimmer chamber and the return pump. Thanks all in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190716_152003~2.jpg (63.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20190716_151844~2.jpg (54.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20190716_152330~2.jpg (54.8 KB, 42 views)
SuperAni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 07:30 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What are we supposed to be looking at/commenting on?

Unread 07/16/2019, 07:50 PM   #3
SuperAni
Registered Member

Mcgyvr, I appreciate you always taking the time for my newb questions! Are the pictures not showing up? I should clarify thats the picture of my sump with the close up shots of my bubble trap. If you'll notice the black sponge in the trap, I just can't get rid of micro bubbles if I want to remove the sponge. Notice how its also a single bubble trap divider. Thanks again!

Unread 07/17/2019, 04:48 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Will this bubble trap work? (thats the question)..
You can't get rid of the micro bubbles (your statement)
Question answered by your own observations..
No.. Its not working

With that short of a distance and the flow rate thats likely there I'm sure that bubbles can just flow right through there without being eliminated..
Another vertical wall could likely help "some"..

Is this setup new? Skimmer microbubbles often go down after the break in period..

How are you adjusting it? it seems siliconed in place

Unread 07/17/2019, 06:01 PM   #5
SuperAni
Registered Member

The sump is what came with my waterbox purchase, I'll probably have to add an additional baffle at some point if I can't remove the sponge without creating a hell storm of bubbles in my dt as I'm really considering a refugium to cultivate some pods for feeding. And when I made the adjustments I didn't have the skimmer, I was merely adjusting the drain valve and the flow valve on the return pump. I figured if I slow the water going into the bubble trap it would give the bubbles enough time to escape. Perhaps I'll give it some time and see if that helps. Again Mcgyver appreciate it as always.

Unread 07/19/2019, 07:57 AM   #6
JustAClownFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAni View Post
Hello reefers! First and foremost excuse the wiring disaster (control board in the works). So I had plans to divide my skimmer chamber into a refugium to supplement my feeding. The problem that I'm having is if I remove the sponge in the bubble trap then I'm just getting micro bubbles in my display. I've tried varying the level and flow with no luck. I also only have the one baffle dividing the skimmer chamber and the return pump. Thanks all in advance!
You don’t need to divide up anything. Put the chaeto in the first chamber. I and a friend did the same thing. Works like a charm. Why sacrifice space? Putting the algae in the first chamber will provide it with flow from the water rushing down and it will trap air bubbles. And you won’t have your airbubble problem.

JustAClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2019, 05:37 AM   #7
Seeady66
Registered Member

Turn your skimmer around so the water exerting is further away for the bubble trap. When your skimmer breaks in there will be less bubbles escaping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seeady66 is offline   Reply With Quote