Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Rangerbob86
Registered Member

Question PWC for high nitrites during cycle?

I realize there are already quite a few threads on this topic and that I’m probably going to get split opinions, but I thought I’d try anyways. My 20 gallon long tank has been cycling for just over 6 weeks now. Tank has a heater, airstone, and Aquaclear 70 HOB filer. All were purchased brand new. The HOB filter has one sponge and one bag of biomax in it (not running the carbon). I started the cycle with a bottle of Dr. Tims One and Only and dosed about 3 - 4 ppm Ace Hardware brand ammonia. After about a week there was no more ammonia so I dosed it back up to 3 - 4 ppm. Ever since then, nitrites have been very high (off the API chart). I continued to dose ammonia to about 2 ppm every few days. Last week, I did my first water change (about 50%) in an effort to bring down the nitrites but didn’t see any results. Here are my parameters today:

API Test:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: > 5 ppm
Nitrate: 80 to 160 ppm
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 79

Seachem Nitrite/Nitrate Test:
Nitrite: 10 to 25 ppm
Nitrate: > 50 ppm

At this point I’m not sure if I should do another water change or give it more time. Should I continue to dose the ammonia? 2 ppm ammonia is being processed in 24 hours. Should I put another sponge/more biomax in the filter in place of the carbon? Any help would be appreciated!

Unread 05/16/2015, 05:07 PM   #2
brianr24
Registered Member

I went through same issue. Stop dosing ammonia. Add some live rock (seed) and just wait. Once bacteria start breaking down nitrite to nitrate it happens fast.

brianr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 05:09 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

Stop dosing ammonia! After the initial dose there is no reason to continue dosing it, as all it will do is produce more nitrates (the end product of your nitrate cycle). You are going to get somewhat elevated false nitrate readings as long as you have nitrites in the tank, but I suspect the end result after the cycle is complete will be high nitrates. At this point don't do anything, let nature complete the cycle. After the cycle is complete (the nitrites drop to zero) if your nitrates are still high make a 100% water change and then add your CUC. Biomax or carbon will not lower your nitrates.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Rangerbob86
Registered Member

Thanks for the help, I wont dose any more ammonia!

Unread 05/17/2015, 01:37 PM   #5
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

You may not actually have nitrates that high. Nitrite will fool a nitrate test and a little bit of nitrite will show up as a large amount of nitrate.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 08:58 PM   #6
Rangerbob86
Registered Member

Just wanted to give a quick update...it's been over 2 weeks now since I've stopped dosing ammonia, but no noticeable change in nitrite level. It's been just over 8 weeks total for the cycle now. Continue waiting? Or is there something else I can be doing? Thanks!

Unread 06/01/2015, 10:41 PM   #7
droog
Registered Member

How much rock and subtrate is in the tank?

-droog

droog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, nitrite