Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2016, 11:17 AM   #126
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 06:27 PM   #127
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Getting ready to acclimate corals. Temperature acclimated already. Now drip. DT water to frag tank to acclimation coral to dump bucket. Took a few hours to drip acclimate.

Unread 06/29/2016, 06:30 PM   #128
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Fish love the nori. Getting healthy. Corals will be entering in around 3 weeks to a month. Depending on quarantine.

Most acros and encrusting monti's in frag tank. Waiting till next Tuesday for millipora's.

Unread 06/30/2016, 07:44 PM   #129
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Tried to implement the code for the float switches and Sunday, Monday water change schedule. The code written above does not work. I had to come up with something slightly different to make work. Having a register based software feature makes you have a different mentality of thinking. Interesting!

For NSW:

Fallback OFF

If SW_1 OPEN Then OFF
If SW_2 OPEN Then OFF
IF Outlet SUNDAY NSW = OFF THEN OFF
IF Outlet MONDAY NSW = OFF THEN OFF

VIRTUAL OUTLET SUNDAY NSW
Set ON
If DoW S------ Then OFF
If Time 00:00 to 6:00 Then ON

VIRTUAL OUTLET MONDAY NSW
Set ON
If Dow -M----- Then OFF
If Time 18:00 to 23:59 Then ON

For OSW:

Fallback OFF

If SW_1 OPEN Then OFF
If SW_2 OPEN Then OFF

IF Outlet SUNDAY OSW = OFF THEN OFF
IF Outlet MONDAY OSW = OFF THEN OFF

VIRTUAL OUTLET SUNDAY OSW
Set ON
If DoW S------ Then OFF
If Time 00:00 to 6:10 Then ON

VIRTUAL OUTLET MONDAY OSW
Set ON
If Dow -M----- Then OFF
If Time 18:10 to 23:59 Then ON

Unread 07/01/2016, 02:03 PM   #130
Ricardo18
Registered Member

is that a picture of a Desjardini Tang or an Angel?

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2016, 06:20 PM   #131
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

It's the desjardini tang. Angels don't get a ticket to this ride. I'm trying my hand at sps this time around.

Unread 07/03/2016, 05:58 AM   #132
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRESOURCE View Post
It's the desjardini tang. Angels don't get a ticket to this ride. I'm trying my hand at sps this time around.
stay strong!..its so easy to fall for the " well,this one could be reef safe"...and then spend the next 2 months trying to trap it.I love angels too,but not for my tank .

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Unread 07/03/2016, 08:59 AM   #133
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Quote:

Getting ready to acclimate corals. Temperature acclimated already. Now drip. DT water to frag tank to acclimation coral to dump bucket. Took a few hours to drip acclimate.

You have a lot more patience than me. Wild, aqua or maricultured colonies, frags... I just dip with melafix or Bayer and into the tank (I do observe the wild and maricultured stuff for a day or so in a separate "qt") but I've never drip acclimated my acros-haven't lost one yet

Sent using your IP address

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2016, 09:24 AM   #134
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

I'm a novice with sps. I had a mixed lps tank for years and had relatively good success. I wasn't to careful and purchased difficult to keep corals: like tubastria sun coral and flower pot corals. This time around I'm trying to read more on Rc and be a lot more careful in the process.

Unread 07/05/2016, 10:08 AM   #135
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

More coral acclimation on the 4th. Everything looks good in the quarantine tank. Letting the coral sit for a few months before moving to the DT. Took advantage of the BRS 10% sale and acquired another Apex dosing pump. Going to change around 30 gallons of water from my 20 gallon acclimation tank to the DT sump. Want to have parameters the same on both tanks. During quarantine, if anything get's bugs, I will turn off the dosing pumps so that the DT doesn't get medicated in any way.

I plan on drawing water after the filter socks and returning into the QT tank so inadvertent bugs don't get into the DT.

Also, purchased a dehumidifier. The QT tank has a small evaporation fan over the water for cooling. Cools great but, there's a lot of humidity in the office where the tanks reside.

I'm also looking into the Genovac backup generator. We get monsoons here in Arizona. Power goes out periodically.

Here's some pictures of my SPS frags.

Unread 07/05/2016, 10:28 AM   #136
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

I just have an Apex JR. I use the breakout box with an PM 1 add on box. Auto water changes and dosing. And, now water mixing between DT and Acclimation tank. I'm will not be medicating fish. That's what our lfs does. I don't purchase fish unless already medicated and eating. Programming takes a bit to get used to. Sequence of events is important and reverse logic thinking has to be employed due to the operation is dependent on last state of register being controlled. Lots of examples in the comprehensive manual and Neptune technical support is good.

I use a JBJ chiller in my non-a/c storeroom. It works great and I don't feel the extra heat. The cooling fan over the Acclimation tank makes the room super humid. Getting a dehumidifier. Once water is cycled with the DT, maybe I can ditch the fan.

Unread 07/07/2016, 02:59 PM   #137
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

I have a weird one. The lines going to new saltwater is cloudy inside the tube all the way from the new saltwater canister, through the DOS and all the way to the DT.

Since there's bubbles in the lines, maybe there's a slight air seepage issue. Thus, there's probably some level of evaporation going on causing the cloudiness. Probably, salt precipitation.

Has anyone seen this?

Unread 07/12/2016, 09:39 PM   #138
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Went out of town to Sedona with the family. Left my acclimation tank with 6 dkh. Dosed for 1kh increase in 4 days to 10. Got back and perhaps the dosing wasn't added at the specific point in the tank that I labeled. One acro is stressed. Decided to do a 30 gallon per day water change between my dt and acclimation tank using the dos system. I hooked up, calibrated, ran hosing and started the water cycling between tanks. Will make transfer much easier.

Unread 07/12/2016, 09:40 PM   #139
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Sending pic of trifecta in the morning.

Unread 07/12/2016, 09:41 PM   #140
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

30 gal water change in 20 gal acclimation tank

Unread 07/13/2016, 09:37 AM   #141
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a weird one. The lines going to new saltwater is cloudy inside the tube all the way from the new saltwater canister, through the DOS and all the way to the DT.

Since there's bubbles in the lines, maybe there's a slight air seepage issue. Thus, there's probably some level of evaporation going on causing the cloudiness. Probably, salt precipitation.

Has anyone seen this?

Maybe it's the salt?

Sent using your IP address

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2016, 10:03 AM   #142
dave.m
Registered Member

Several possibilities:

1). Salt mix problem as jbvdhp suggests. Bad batch, maybe?

2). Salt not mixed completely.

3). Time to clean/replace RO/DI filter units?

4). Bacterial problem in ATO lines/vessels.

That last one has felled a number of people here on RC. Run hot water with bleach through all lines and vessels in a 10:1 mixture. Then rinse with a dechlorinator, and then finally rinse with fresh RO/DI water.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2016, 03:23 PM   #143
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Dave, I get saltwater from lfs. I don't mix for the reasons you described.

Unread 07/13/2016, 04:09 PM   #144
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

I'll pour some of the salt water from the canister into a clear glass and see whether the fresh saltwater is clear or cloudy.

Unread 07/13/2016, 10:32 PM   #145
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Did some light Rc reading and found that it's calcium precipitation due to the heat. Living in Arizona and my storage room being non air conditioned, it's hot. Very hot. Thus, precipitation in the vinyl tubing. I will keep watch and clean with vinegar water as necessary. Checking ca alk ang mg almost daily.

Due to the limited, slow flow of the apex dos, I can drip around 30 gal in24 hours. Good for a water change but, not great for water exchange between Dt and acclimation tank. Have to account for evaporation when cooling fan is on. Thus, had to have a differential between filling and draining water since tank is so small. Figured that out today, was a process, then I have equal parts when lights and fan are off. We'll see and adjust accordingly.

Unread 07/14/2016, 10:27 AM   #146
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Quote:
Did some light Rc reading and found that it's calcium precipitation due to the heat. Living in Arizona and my storage room being non air conditioned, it's hot. Very hot. Thus, precipitation in the vinyl tubing. I will keep watch and clean with vinegar water as necessary. Checking ca alk ang mg almost daily.

Due to the limited, slow flow of the apex dos, I can drip around 30 gal in24 hours. Good for a water change but, not great for water exchange between Dt and acclimation tank. Have to account for evaporation when cooling fan is on. Thus, had to have a differential between filling and draining water since tank is so small. Figured that out today, was a process, then I have equal parts when lights and fan are off. We'll see and adjust accordingly.

I use Genesis for water changes and the "dump" water goes directly to my QT tank (instead of down the sewer)...so both tanks get a water change

Unread 07/14/2016, 11:27 AM   #147
Dgonzo_600rr
Registered Member

looking good. crazy to see how it all develops. I've seen you're frags in the store many times and to see them in your tank is gratifying! hope it looks just as good in person as it does in the pictures!

Dgonzo_600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2016, 11:41 AM   #148
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonzo_600rr View Post
looking good. crazy to see how it all develops. I've seen you're frags in the store many times and to see them in your tank is gratifying! hope it looks just as good in person as it does in the pictures!
Thanks. Dialing everything in. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly in the transition to the DT.

Unread 07/14/2016, 11:46 AM   #149
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo18 View Post
I use Genesis for water changes and the "dump" water goes directly to my QT tank (instead of down the sewer)...so both tanks get a water change
Ricardo, That would be ideal. I'm doing only 2.5 gal per day in my DT. My goal is to have my 20 gal Acclimation tank the same parameters as my DT. Thus, I slowly recirculate 30 gallons a day to my 20 gallon acclimation tank from my DT. I don't really want to keep up the chemical parameters and testing on two tanks. I auto dose the DT, currently.

If I did it by dumping water to the accl tank during DT water changes, I would only get a 2.5 gal/day exchange.

Is my rationale faulty?

Unread 07/14/2016, 12:46 PM   #150
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Quote:
Ricardo, That would be ideal. I'm doing only 2.5 gal per day in my DT. My goal is to have my 20 gal Acclimation tank the same parameters as my DT. Thus, I slowly recirculate 30 gallons a day to my 20 gallon acclimation tank from my DT. I don't really want to keep up the chemical parameters and testing on two tanks. I auto dose the DT, currently.

If I did it by dumping water to the accl tank during DT water changes, I would only get a 2.5 gal/day exchange.

Is my rationale faulty?
Correct..what you take out of the DT is what goes into your AT.
30 gallons out means 30 gallons in /2.5 gallons out means 2.5 gallons in.It's just up to you how much turn-over you need in the AT.
The nice thing is that what is going into your AT is good,bacteria rich water.
Just watch the salinity from time to time in the AT..as it will rise very slowly due to less evaporation RO top-off .All the other parameters in your AT will be spot on with your DT parameters. (but do verify occasionally)