Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2016, 12:23 PM   #1
lemec
Premium Member

Mitras and SPS

Anyone having luck running SPS and keeping good strong color while using the Mitras!? I've been using mine for 8-9 months and I can't keep and of the good vivid colors...I started at 50%, and noticed that the sps slowly lost their color, so I ramped it up to 80% over a month progressively and then the couple that still held onto some color started to bleach out...getting a bit frustrated. I bought a PAR Meter and I'm not getting much punch at all...450 at surface and it drops to 100 at the bottom of my elos 70. I run a 6200HV and a 6100HV..just below water surface at 80% was only in the 300's...I'm running the lights in the 19k spectrum.

Current Tank Info: Elos 70 T5 lit tank
lemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 01:05 PM   #2
fq600
Registered Member

I gave up on mine also. It bleached my sps and took them off the tank. I have plans to use them but mainly for supplemental purposes. Running all the blues n HV only.

Sorry to hear man. I didn't have any luck with them. A good friend of mine ran his for a very long time. He was way more stubborn than me. Haha. And he will not run them over SPS...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

fq600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 01:10 PM   #3
lemec
Premium Member

I know measuring PAR with them isn't as exact as it is with MH and T5 but there needs to be a better way to dial these things in...they are capable, I've seen tanks running them, but no one seems to know the right answers to them...

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:51 PM   #4
dattong
Registered Member

I'll send you my project file when I'm home tonight. It's not the fixture fault, it's the spectrum and intensity that you picked. I have good growth and great color with mitras.

dattong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 03:12 PM   #5
lemec
Premium Member

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I know this fixture has to be able to grow Sps, I just needed to find someone that has been successful at it.

Unread 05/10/2016, 06:19 PM   #6
dattong
Registered Member

Here's a link to download my project file. My tank is filled with water 20" in height and My two GHL 6200HV's are 17" off the water surface. You can increase/decrease the overall intensity in High Efficiency mode depending on how your corals response. If your corals brown out or bleach then it's too much light. Light alone is not entirely responsible for your corals' color; your water quality counts as well.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8c...h_V1084%29.lpc

Unread 05/10/2016, 06:46 PM   #7
lemec
Premium Member

Ya, water is fine...ill check out your program tomorrow when I get back to the office.

Unread 05/11/2016, 03:00 PM   #8
StarF
Registered Member

i have kept sps under mine for 2 years with out isues. The problem is people over do either the spectrum or intensety. If you want i can send you my settings file, its a little more blue and not so purple as dattong´s settings.

StarF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 08:08 PM   #9
lemec
Premium Member

That would be great! I'm open to trying anything...I want to buy some new sps but I refuse until I get these lights dialed in lol

Unread 05/12/2016, 01:27 AM   #10
StarF
Registered Member

pm me your mail, and i will send it when i get home from work.

Unread 05/12/2016, 09:45 AM   #11
GazzMan
Registered Member

I'm running 3 6100HVs on a 5' tank, I have them on high output from 0900 until 2100 with 2 thunder storms per week.
Here are some before and after shots taken with my iPhone and I havnt doctored the pics at all, these pics were taken about 5-6 months apart

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...91#post7325891

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...00#post7325900

GazzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2016, 10:07 AM   #12
lemec
Premium Member

Looks like some good growth and coloration...I see you get the cyano too...low nutrient?

Unread 05/12/2016, 12:46 PM   #13
lemec
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattong View Post
Here's a link to download my project file. My tank is filled with water 20" in height and My two GHL 6200HV's are 17" off the water surface. You can increase/decrease the overall intensity in High Efficiency mode depending on how your corals response. If your corals brown out or bleach then it's too much light. Light alone is not entirely responsible for your corals' color; your water quality counts as well.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8c...h_V1084%29.lpc
Interesting spectrum...I've always shut the greens and reds totally off because the few things I've read, they have no use, but I did like the way my Earlie wrasse's colors popped! Is that your complete cycle? Time wise seemed "weird" to me, lol...

Unread 05/14/2016, 07:41 PM   #14
Halfmoon61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzMan View Post
I'm running 3 6100HVs on a 5' tank, I have them on high output from 0900 until 2100 with 2 thunder storms per week.
Here are some before and after shots taken with my iPhone and I havnt doctored the pics at all, these pics were taken about 5-6 months apart
That's fantastic growth, I run 6100HV and have never found the right settings to get near that! Care to share the file? Most I find are for 6200's. Really nice tank you got there.

Current Tank Info: 150 Peninsula
Halfmoon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 02:34 AM   #15
GazzMan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoon61 View Post
That's fantastic growth, I run 6100HV and have never found the right settings to get near that! Care to share the file? Most I find are for 6200's. Really nice tank you got there.
Thanks Perry, yes mate, it's some fantastic growth mate, you will be very surprised at the simplicity of my program.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8cc2plmy8...azMan.lpc?dl=0

I have all 3 lamps on high output.

Unread 05/15/2016, 01:59 PM   #16
Halfmoon61
Registered Member

Thanks, I like the dome look, I always ended up with a pyramid.

Current Tank Info: 150 Peninsula
Halfmoon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 01:21 PM   #17
GazzMan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoon61 View Post
Thanks, I like the dome look, I always ended up with a pyramid.
Lol, I like the smooth in and smooth out, it's not the original as it's morphed over time to please the tank.

Iv had no problems at all with this program as it is.

Unread 05/16/2016, 03:02 PM   #18
dattong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemec View Post
Interesting spectrum...I've always shut the greens and reds totally off because the few things I've read, they have no use, but I did like the way my Earlie wrasse's colors popped! Is that your complete cycle? Time wise seemed "weird" to me, lol...
You can always change the time to fit your schedule so that you can enjoy your tank when you're home. I have another project that produces spectacular growth but it's more of MH look. I like blue/purple look. You need about 6hrs on the whiter spectrum to get good growth and color, then about 3hrs on whatever spectrum that pleases your eyes for viewing.

Here's my tank growing under the old project

Last edited by dattong; 05/16/2016 at 03:10 PM.
Unread 05/16/2016, 03:10 PM   #19
StarF
Registered Member

Quote:
You can always change the time to fit your schedule so that you can enjoy your tank when you're home. I have another project that produces spectacular growth but it's more of MH look. I like blue/purple look. You need about 6hrs on the whiter spectrum to get good growth and color, then about 3hrs on whatever spectrum that pleases your eyes for viewing.
Do you have any pictures of your tank? i am interested in your results with the blue/purple spectrum.

Unread 05/16/2016, 03:16 PM   #20
dattong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarF View Post
Do you have any pictures of your tank? i am interested in your results with the blue/purple spectrum.
I broke down that tank and just started my new tank a month ago. I just found my old project yesterday and decided to use it instead the bluer spectrum. I'll upload it if you're interested. Check out my old tank to see the result of this old project.

Unread 05/17/2016, 02:22 AM   #21
StarF
Registered Member

Quote:
I broke down that tank and just started my new tank a month ago. I just found my old project yesterday and decided to use it instead the bluer spectrum. I'll upload it if you're interested. Check out my old tank to see the result of this old project.
please do upload

Unread 05/17/2016, 08:39 AM   #22
lemec
Premium Member

I went with a whiter look now, but I may add an hour and a half at start and end of the 6 hours of white to give me a nicer ramp up...I've also set the acclimation to slowly ramp up to the 100% by the end of June...

Unread 05/17/2016, 08:50 AM   #23
dattong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemec View Post
I went with a whiter look now, but I may add an hour and a half at start and end of the 6 hours of white to give me a nicer ramp up...I've also set the acclimation to slowly ramp up to the 100% by the end of June...
Be careful with the whiter spectrum, don't crank it up too high or your corals get bleached. Look at the the overall graph, if it's in between 60-70% then adjust the output in HE mode to about 50-55% and go from there by observing how your corals respond.

Unread 05/17/2016, 07:55 PM   #24
lemec
Premium Member

I'll take a screen shot of my curve and post my program tomorrow.

Unread 05/17/2016, 10:21 PM   #25
dattong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarF View Post
please do upload
Here you go. This is an old project file that's very good for growth and color but on the whiter look.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wh...er_project.lpc