Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2011, 02:57 PM   #76
CueMusic
Registered Member

Breaking it down by major metro areas would work best, or regions in states. I know for me I would not have a problem driving an hour or so to help out a fellow military person with their reef or anyone for that matter. As far as donations again I don't have an issue with donations as long as the money goes to helping with the upkeep of the site and any extra money goes to upkeep of others reefs while they are deployed. You could contact the VFW or AmVets for help in donations or getting the word out. Thin if we have 4 pages of posts on here in a short time, how many others are out there who are not members of RC. Personally if I were deployed and I spent so much time and energy on my tank, I would want it in good hands, and look forward to seeing it grow when I get back.

CueMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 07:22 PM   #77
Blackhawk007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I'd like to just step in here and say a great big thank you to all of you for all that you have done. It really is great to see so many fine individuals all in one thread.
This kind of respect goes much farther than you could imagine. Thank You Cody!

Fish: Naso Tang, Horseshoe Tang, Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Kole Tang, Orange Shoulder Tang, Fox Face Rabbit, and Mated Percs hosting in RBTA
Blackhawk007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 07:23 PM   #78
Blackhawk007
Registered Member

Oh I am also a vet, near Chicago I am in.

Fish: Naso Tang, Horseshoe Tang, Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Kole Tang, Orange Shoulder Tang, Fox Face Rabbit, and Mated Percs hosting in RBTA
Blackhawk007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 07:49 PM   #79
znotch
Registered Member

CPL DSM: I know a guy who just deployed with the 13th MEU; Sergeant Moreno with combat engineers. Maybe you know him?

I'm a Marine Corps Vet, did 4.5 years. I'm always willing to help a fellow veteran out, especially a fellow Marine. Let me know if anybody in Southern California needs anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_DSM View Post
I love to join. I am a Marine in camp Pendelton right now, I'll be leaving to catch up with my unit this wendsday. I'm with the 13th MEU. I wont be back for awhile. However I just found a guy to take my Zebra Eel and my Nurse Shark. When I get back I have another PCS move. I am trying to go back east to or around Ohio. The cool thing is my my Shark and eel whill be doing the move with me. The plain is the next place we move to I'll have a tank close to 5000 to 6000 gallons.

znotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 11:16 PM   #80
ChknWing
Registered Member

Andy Neighbors
Active Army, moving to Ft Campbell, KY Been in the hobby for almost 10 years now. I have done multiple moves, drilled tanks, built my stand, etc.

ChknWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 08:28 AM   #81
NickC5FE
Registered Member

This idea is great! i am at Travis IN NorCal and i would be willing to sit. (I do not deploy, only go on frequent short hauls).

NickC5FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2011, 10:33 AM   #82
CueMusic
Registered Member

O.k. here is my first enlistment of help from my fellow Military Reefers, I am looking for some unusual colorful corals something along the lines of Radioactive Eagle Eye Zoas, and such. If anyone can help or has any please let me know. Thanks everyone and for all you over seas get home safe.

Steve

Unread 03/13/2011, 06:33 PM   #83
KDC
Registered Member

I think this is a wonderful idea! If something like this had been in place this past January then perhaps I could have overnighted my livestock to our new duty station instead of losing them all in-route because of a thrown tire and a broken axle.
I grew up with the Army, joined the Air Force and married a Navy NFO (who used to be a Marine! )
I was medically discharged after 8 years, but I would love to get involved and help out fellow reefers. Not only could we be there to tanksit, but we could see about donating frags to members who have had to tear down, and I would be willing to accept livestock overnighted for someone moving into my area. (Any excuse to set up another tank. LOL)
Speaking of which, we are stationed at Tinker AFB in OKC, OK.

sucker_fish~let me know what I can do to help. I am a stay at home mom, and while I am not extremely computer savvy, I can put lists together, make calls and harass people into getting help or support. After all, I did grow up dealing with tricare!

Current Tank Info: IM 25g lagoon mixed reef
KDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 08:20 PM   #84
Powederblue
Registered Member

Hey guys, in currently serving my first term here in Dover Delaware afb in the AirForce. Thank you all for your support. If any of you are in Dover lmk there aren't many reefers in the area.

God bless

Powederblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 08:24 PM   #85
OdentonClown
Registered Member

Ft. Meade, Maryland area.

I am in to help. 12 year Army vet in Maryland right next to Ft Meade. I can help out either Ft. Meade (with shipping tank sitting or ship to) or Ft. Meyer (just not tank sitting to far to drive everysay) as I am close to DC / Northern Virginia and Baltimore. Willing to help any branch of the Military.

Also in this area is two Clubs one is CMAS-MD.org and WAMAS.org.

Thought club information in areas would be good information as well.

Last edited by OdentonClown; 03/13/2011 at 08:42 PM.
OdentonClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 09:29 PM   #86
JandN
Registered Member

Great idea AD USAF 5 yrs and counting, Elmendorf AFB (now JBER) Anchorage, AK.

JandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 10:06 PM   #87
flash&fire
Registered Member

9yr Army vet, been out for a few but willing to help where i can as a beginning reefer. located near Binghamton, NY.

Unread 03/14/2011, 07:08 AM   #88
Doc's_reef09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDC View Post
I think this is a wonderful idea! If something like this had been in place this past January then perhaps I could have overnighted my livestock to our new duty station instead of losing them all in-route because of a thrown tire and a broken axle.
I grew up with the Army, joined the Air Force and married a Navy NFO (who used to be a Marine! )
I was medically discharged after 8 years, but I would love to get involved and help out fellow reefers. Not only could we be there to tanksit, but we could see about donating frags to members who have had to tear down, and I would be willing to accept livestock overnighted for someone moving into my area. (Any excuse to set up another tank. LOL)
Speaking of which, we are stationed at Tinker AFB in OKC, OK.

sucker_fish~let me know what I can do to help. I am a stay at home mom, and while I am not extremely computer savvy, I can put lists together, make calls and harass people into getting help or support. After all, I did grow up dealing with tricare!

haha i just pcs'ed from tinker to china lake, ca

Doc's_reef09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 10:10 AM   #89
KDC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's_reef09 View Post
haha i just pcs'ed from tinker to china lake, ca
We started here in OK when we got married, then I was lucky enough to spent 18 months at Yokosuka, Japan then a year at the War College in Rhode Island and now we are stuck here in OK again.
The only two good thing about having to keep coming back is that it means John's career is progressing, and for the first time in my life I get to return to our house.

Unread 03/14/2011, 10:38 AM   #90
KDC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChknWing View Post
Andy Neighbors
Active Army, moving to Ft Campbell, KY Been in the hobby for almost 10 years now. I have done multiple moves, drilled tanks, built my stand, etc.
I lived outside Ft Campbell for about 10 years after my dad retired. That was a long time ago, but I liked Clarksville and they used to have a couple of really nice aquarium stores.

Unread 03/15/2011, 12:52 AM   #91
Brian Chong
Moved On

I sympathize with all of you that have to tear down your tanks when you pcs or deploy. Wish I had a bigger tank to temporarily house shipped corals but it's good to see that despite the amount of time you guys spend in the sandbox you are all dedicated reefers looking for ways to juggle your jobs and this awesome hobby.

Brian Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 07:37 AM   #92
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

My wife took care of my tank while I was in Afghanistan, based on the result you might want her to look after your tank rather than me. However, I'm willing to help. I'm Army but live near Scott AFB.

St. Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists' (SLASH) Coral Donor Program (CDP)
Because, "Friends don't let friends pay $50 a polyp!"
Over 200 different corals and counting...

Current Tank Info: 352 Quintillion Gallon
Reeferhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 09:59 AM   #93
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
We started here in OK when we got married, then I was lucky enough to spent 18 months at Yokosuka, Japan then a year at the War College in Rhode Island and now we are stuck here in OK again.
Not to detract from the topic at hand, but look into COMAS if you haven't already. They have a subforum in the local boards down low. They're the central OK club and are active with a great group of people and resources. I was a member before I PCS'ed from OKC to PCola. I had numerous offers to help my wife out with the tank when had to leave her behind for a few months. Also, Aquariums (a store in Edmond) let me borrow their O2 bottle and gave me some bags to pack my critters before I made the move. The stores and people in central Oklahoma are great and you'll probably find a few other military reefers there too.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 01:33 PM   #94
KDC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
Not to detract from the topic at hand, but look into COMAS if you haven't already. They have a subforum in the local boards down low. They're the central OK club and are active with a great group of people and resources. I was a member before I PCS'ed from OKC to PCola. I had numerous offers to help my wife out with the tank when had to leave her behind for a few months. Also, Aquariums (a store in Edmond) let me borrow their O2 bottle and gave me some bags to pack my critters before I made the move. The stores and people in central Oklahoma are great and you'll probably find a few other military reefers there too.
Thanks! I am actually going to their meeting this Saturday to meet everyone and pay my dues.
I've seen your posts on there too. I couldn't miss your avatar. I had a GW before we went to Japan. I had considered taking her, but I figured that since we would be living in housing that if I wanted my neighbors to like me I shouldn't bring a bird that they would be able to hear over the entire base!
I'm on the look out for a much smaller companion this time around so I don't end up with the same heartache. I figure that moving with four children )5 and under), fishtanks and a dog, no one would notice a feathered baby.

I actually packed up our house, flew to Japan, unpacked the household and was there for almost 4 months before my husband got there. Didn't sound too impressive until I though back and realized I had done it all with a 2 year old, a 1 year old and a 2 month old.

Unread 03/16/2011, 08:02 AM   #95
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

That's impressive! There's some talk of a PCS enroute to SERE out of Nav school down here, so that would leave my wife unloading our house and a half of crap along with 3 birds, my reef and what will be our new 3-4mo old. Hopefully they can fudge my dates around to avoid that when the time comes.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 08:30 AM   #96
Rockys_Pride
Registered Member

Got done with my active duty a few years back, didn't notice the MSO of 8 years. Oh well, now I'm in the guard, GO GUARD!!, until my 8 years runs out. Anyways, I'm in CO and always welcome a fellow service member, especially if they're reefers. If someone in CO needs tank sitting, wants to nerd out, or trade coral hit me up.

Rockys_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 05:55 PM   #97
KDC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
That's impressive! There's some talk of a PCS enroute to SERE out of Nav school down here, so that would leave my wife unloading our house and a half of crap along with 3 birds, my reef and what will be our new 3-4mo old. Hopefully they can fudge my dates around to avoid that when the time comes.
Wow! That could really suck! Tell your wife she has my sympathy. Where are you going for SERE school? Or should I just be asking where she will be moving to while you are in school?

Unread 03/21/2011, 11:56 PM   #98
Aldridge Corals
Registered Member

Hello everyone. This club is a great idea. My dad is a Vietnam vet, step dad Army vet, brother is USCG and my daughter is on her way in to the USCG. Thank you all for the work you do to protect us. Please keep me in mind; for when I have my shop up and running I plan to give discounts to all military. God be good to all of you and your families.

Aldridge Corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2011, 10:23 PM   #99
CueMusic
Registered Member

Great seeing other Coasties in the mix. Thank you and welcome to our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldridge Corals View Post
Hello everyone. This club is a great idea. My dad is a Vietnam vet, step dad Army vet, brother is USCG and my daughter is on her way in to the USCG. Thank you all for the work you do to protect us. Please keep me in mind; for when I have my shop up and running I plan to give discounts to all military. God be good to all of you and your families.

Unread 03/23/2011, 05:09 AM   #100
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueMusic View Post
How about Brothers At Arms Reefers. or BAAR
You got my vote for the name.....

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote