Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2016, 11:08 AM   #26
mcozad829
Premium Member

Nice to see so many replies to this thread both from other vets, and those sharing their support. Glad to see that this military reefers sub forum is being used!

Unread 06/28/2016, 01:33 PM   #27
Paul B
Premium Member

I never thought of it as therapy but maybe that is the reason I started my reef as soon as I returned from Nam. I was also blown up on an LZ where we lost about 50 of us out of about 150.
I came home in one piece but my tank has always been a comfort to me even though I never equated it to Viet Nam.
Thanks for reminding me of why I love this hobby so much.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 02:05 PM   #28
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Thank you all. Those of us who sit in luxury (even the poorest of us have it better than most of the world) owe it all to you all.

My experience doesn't equate even close to yours, but I used to suffer from mild forms of depression in the winter especially. Winters here in Michigan are pretty unforgiving. In the summers I had my koi pond (now we've moved so I only have small outdoor tanks that are more like cow troughs) and before my accident I had motorcycles. In the winter I tended to get bored easily and depressed. My wife and I have both noticed that I'm in a better mood in the winters because I can focus on my tanks. This past winter was a bit rough because I was downsizing to move, but this winter I hope to build my 90 gallon coral tank and in future years I hope to be building a 300 gallon FOWLR plywood tank. All that to say that this hobby has been greatly therapeutic for me, and I'm glad to hear that you all are getting some therapeutic help from it as well.

May we never forget the lives given and the sacrifice of those who have served in all of the military forces. God bless you all!

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 07:48 AM   #29
itz frank
Gives Bad Advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcozad829 View Post
Long story short, I am a disabled vet, former light infantry and purple heart recipient. I was medically discharged in 2012 and have had a hard time with PTSD, adjustment disorder, and depression. There have been very dark days in my life since I have been out, I won't go into specifics but I can say there were times when I felt like ending it all, normally these times correlate to times when my disabilities flare up and I am in bad pain. It sucks being 27 years old and having to spend 1/2 the day in bed and the other half dragging my legs around as I walk with my cane . Depression has pushed me to the edge a few times and I have honestly thought at times "if I end it, who will take care of my tank?". In my life it often seems that things are completely out of control and that is when I focus on my tank because it gives me a sense of purpose and control. I just wanted to see if I am alone in this? Does anyone else use their tanks as a life saving therapy?

Thank you to you and everyone else here that has a bigger set of balls than I. I can't imagine what you've been through and what you're still going through.

I'm sitting at work and this thread brought a tear to my eye. I'm 30 myself. I've never been in combat. I've never enlisted. I've never even considered it.

But I want to thank you for doing something that the majority of us wouldn't even consider. Thank you for putting your life on the line so that I and others could sleep and have all the freedoms that we take for granted on a daily basis.

How about some photos of this tank and others?

itz frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 07:49 PM   #30
Salty150
Registered Member

Wow... talk about putting things in perspective.

Excellent thread...

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2016, 04:02 PM   #31
Majestic Corals
Registered Member

On the same boat

I couldn't agree with you more. I am also a DV with PTSD and this hobby has kept me from taking the easy way out. Something about being able to keep a piece of the ocean thriving in your living room is something else. I would take a sps frag over some pill the VA wants to shove down my throat any day.

Majestic Corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2016, 06:07 PM   #32
vikinglord13
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXInvF4Wqa4

I thought you guys might appreciate this video by Wayne Scott about how aquariums helped his transition from military life.
Happy [belated] Veterans Day!

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2016, 12:53 PM   #33
jmcdaniel0
Registered Member

Brothers,

I am new to this forum, and I stumbled across this thread. I can relate to so much of what you all are saying. I was in the 101st Airborne, and I pulled four tourrs of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. I broke my neck on the last tour and I was medically discharged in 2012. I had a very rough time when I first came out. Thankfully, I had a strong wife, that kept me from doing anything stupid. I never thought about my reefing as a stress reliever or coping mechanism, but I certainly see why it could be. I took a break from reefing when we were moving from our apartment to the new house we bought. Then my jobs switched, and things just wouldnt seem to settle down. Now I am putting up a small tank I have had for a bit now. It will be good to get back into the hobby.

jmcdaniel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2016, 03:41 PM   #34
Psyops
Still Learning

I have been reading your posts since the Military Reefers group started but was not comfortable, for some reason, to post.

Have had a reef tank for about 15 yrs now. Recommended from another vet that was helping me with my issues. There was a time that if it wasn't for my cat and reef tank I probably would not have made it. Basically I did not want to leave them on there own.

PS. I have a pretty kick *** wife also.

One tank short of a trial separation.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon reef. Just starting to convert to mainly SPS.
Psyops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 03:22 PM   #35
Joe0813
Registered Member

Would just like to say thank you for you guys and girls service and sacrifice for us and this country

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 08:17 AM   #36
victor_c3
Premium Member

I can't say that reefing has saved my life, but it adds a tremendous amount of enjoyment to mine.

Before I stopped working, I earned a degree in chemistry and worked for the government for a few years as a chemist. The technical aspects and research aspects of reefing are very interesting to me. I've read numerous books and countless science joiurnal articles and pouring myself over details such as optimal flow rates for sponges in benthic habitats and trying to recreate that in a portion of my reef system is pure joy to me.

I too was an Infantryman, but I was mechanized and served in Iraq in 2004. In hindite, I'm soooo relieved that I wasn't Light Infantry. True, our vehicles made for great targets, but they could take a pounding. A section of tanks was assigned to my platoon and, in their infinite wisdom, haji would fire everything he had at a tank and ignore the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. The tank could take RPG hits all day while the Bradley couldn't. Fortunately, haji never figured that out.

I got back from Iraq in 2005 and got out of the army in 2007. My PTSD issues didn't really start to appear until 2008, but they didn't get out of hand until 2014. In the last two years I went down hard and fast. I've had numerous suicide attempts, spent about 1/3 of that time locked up in psych hospitals, lost two great jobs, and now I'm 100% P&T for PTSD.

Reefing to me is about having something go right in my life. Looking back at things since Iraq it's hard for me to find examples if things I'm good at or do right. I was in a leadership position (I actually was an Infantry Platoon Leader) and I take everything my platoon did or didn't do to heart. I was in charge when we were out in sector and if someone was hurt, it was fault. If a kid got killed, it was because I didn't control my troops well enough (Soldiers are good at killing things - even when not ordered to) or if someone got hurt it was because I dindn't make the right decision. I lost 5 guys under my command and it absolutely tears me apart more than 12 years later. I can't keep a job, I've foreclosed on a house, and simple things like making my kids lunch in the morning and getting them ready for school overwhelms me.

As a guy who has a history of messing stuff up, getting something right - even as small as not killing a coral - gives me something to hang on to in life.

victor_c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 11:29 AM   #37
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_c3 View Post
I can't say that reefing has saved my life, but it adds a tremendous amount of enjoyment to mine.

Before I stopped working, I earned a degree in chemistry and worked for the government for a few years as a chemist. The technical aspects and research aspects of reefing are very interesting to me. I've read numerous books and countless science joiurnal articles and pouring myself over details such as optimal flow rates for sponges in benthic habitats and trying to recreate that in a portion of my reef system is pure joy to me.

I too was an Infantryman, but I was mechanized and served in Iraq in 2004. In hindite, I'm soooo relieved that I wasn't Light Infantry. True, our vehicles made for great targets, but they could take a pounding. A section of tanks was assigned to my platoon and, in their infinite wisdom, haji would fire everything he had at a tank and ignore the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. The tank could take RPG hits all day while the Bradley couldn't. Fortunately, haji never figured that out.

I got back from Iraq in 2005 and got out of the army in 2007. My PTSD issues didn't really start to appear until 2008, but they didn't get out of hand until 2014. In the last two years I went down hard and fast. I've had numerous suicide attempts, spent about 1/3 of that time locked up in psych hospitals, lost two great jobs, and now I'm 100% P&T for PTSD.

Reefing to me is about having something go right in my life. Looking back at things since Iraq it's hard for me to find examples if things I'm good at or do right. I was in a leadership position (I actually was an Infantry Platoon Leader) and I take everything my platoon did or didn't do to heart. I was in charge when we were out in sector and if someone was hurt, it was fault. If a kid got killed, it was because I didn't control my troops well enough (Soldiers are good at killing things - even when not ordered to) or if someone got hurt it was because I dindn't make the right decision. I lost 5 guys under my command and it absolutely tears me apart more than 12 years later. I can't keep a job, I've foreclosed on a house, and simple things like making my kids lunch in the morning and getting them ready for school overwhelms me.

As a guy who has a history of messing stuff up, getting something right - even as small as not killing a coral - gives me something to hang on to in life.
Thank you, for a lot of things, and for sharing your story.

I, and everyone else here I am sure, am glad that you found reefing!

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote