Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/14/2008, 08:20 PM   #926
Pufferpunk
Moved On

My 40g is turning a slight tinge of yellow/green. Every solid surface is slimy. My skimmer is overflowing. Good news--N03 is 0 but all my fish are out of there, in hypo for crypt.

Unread 02/15/2008, 07:49 AM   #927
driftin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin1300
Now, that you guys mentioned it my hammer coral has been a little closed up since I started adding the Vitamin C...
I had been dosing only 5ppm. I thought it was coincidence that my wall-hammer closed up basically the same day I started dosing, but I haven't seen any improvement in the coral in the past 2 weeks. I didn't have any zoa problems before I dosed; yesteday I stopped dosing and I'm going to see what happens to the hammer. It seems to be the only coral that has been affected.

Makes me wonder if certain corals are susceptible to one of the effects of dosing.

Current Tank Info: 70 gal custom room divider
Unread 02/15/2008, 09:37 AM   #928
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Also about the crypt my fish had--only 1 fish showed the parastie. As soon as I say that, I started dosing C in that tank too. None of the other fish showed the parasite, even after 3 weeks.

I have a show-size frogspawn that looks fantastic, even at 33ppm.

Unread 02/15/2008, 11:59 AM   #929
Questin
Registered Member

Has anyone tried using Glutathione instead?

Unread 02/15/2008, 05:15 PM   #930
Vinnie71975
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Questin
Has anyone tried using Glutathione instead?
What exactly is Glutathione?

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton

Current Tank Info: 55g reef to be(buying stuff now), 20g high Goldfish, 20g High FW Semi Aggressive, 35g hex Community tank, 10g SW Fowlr
Unread 02/15/2008, 08:13 PM   #931
Questin
Registered Member

Its an antioxidant like Vitamin C

From reading everything here, I was wondering if anyone tried something that was like Vitamin C to see if they get the same effect, and a lot of posts where starting to point to the possibity that it was not the Vitamin C that was helping things out, but the act of being an antioxidant that actually helped because of how it was allowing more benifical things to happen that were being serpressed otherwise.

Glutathione is like Vitamin C because it is an antioxidant and it is solubility in water. It can also be found in drug stores as a dietary supplement.

Unread 02/15/2008, 09:33 PM   #932
PaintGuru
Registered Member

I just cut back my dosing to 1x day. We'll see if things stay the same or not.

Would Glutathione cheaper the VC?

Unread 02/16/2008, 01:13 PM   #933
Jeff
Registered Member

I am thinking about going to 1 dose a day probably in the morning. Aren't most corals kind of dormant in the dark? I wonder if the second dose does anything.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Unread 02/16/2008, 01:17 PM   #934
jdieck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
I am thinking about going to 1 dose a day probably in the morning. Aren't most corals kind of dormant in the dark? I wonder if the second dose does anything.
Many corals if not most will further extend their polyps at night to filter feed and compensate for the lack of light.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
Unread 02/16/2008, 03:18 PM   #935
Jeff
Registered Member

Hmm, good point Jose. Do you think that the corals would get the same benefit at night out of the vitamin C as the day dose?

Hurry back Puffy, we miss you!

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Unread 02/16/2008, 05:07 PM   #936
PaintGuru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Hmm, good point Jose. Do you think that the corals would get the same benefit at night out of the vitamin C as the day dose?

Hurry back Puffy, we miss you!
The other thought is that VC is light sensitive, so it may be better to dose when the lights are off.

Unread 02/16/2008, 05:40 PM   #937
montanabay
Registered Member

VC does degrade faster when exposed to light, I dose twice a day, once in the morning right when the lights come on and right when they go off. I'm one day 6 or so, zoas might be starting to open up...well at least they are the most open that they've been in 3months...

Unread 02/16/2008, 09:02 PM   #938
RoyalEnchntrss
Registered Member

All of my corals are reaaaalllly happy but everything has a slimey film over it like Puffer said... its whitish and grooossss.. i tried cleaning today, changed all of my filter floss and cleaned my skimmer now everything is mad and cloudy... i dont know if this is because of the C or not though??

Unread 02/17/2008, 01:36 AM   #939
Pufferpunk
Moved On

RE, How much are you dosing? I think I have been adding too much to my smaller, 40g tank. The bubbles are coming out of the top of the skimmer cup on my Backpac! I added more flow to the tank & it's not as slimey now.

Unread 02/17/2008, 03:41 AM   #940
AeroD79
Registered Member

update

Heres my update for my blue zoos..(started Feb)

So far the asterina starfish are no longer eating the stolons. I havent noticed a growth yet. Then I switched back to my hamilton 14ks..the colors are really showing up as much as before or better.

14k at 2006

same bulb now

Unread 02/17/2008, 12:25 PM   #941
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Can you please post the "before" VC pics with the "after" ones? Now way will we be able to find them.

Unread 02/17/2008, 12:43 PM   #942
RoyalEnchntrss
Registered Member

Well with the pills I was up to 2000mg 2x a day and then i finally got the powder and started back down at whatever 1/4 a teaspoon is.. i think it's 800 something mg 2x a day... I had gone up to 1/2 a teaspoon and now I'm back down to a 1/4... I still have some pretty sick zoos but i can't stand the slime and now my feather duster looks bad.. I wish there was someway to know what's caused by the VC and what isn't.. i should try to get pics of the slime...

Last edited by RoyalEnchntrss; 02/17/2008 at 01:01 PM.
Unread 02/18/2008, 01:09 AM   #943
Pufferpunk
Moved On

My slime is gone--I think it must have been a flow problem. I barely had any flow in there. Added a PH & everything's fine now, other than my skimmer going nuts. I think I'm gonna stop adding the C to the skimmer.

Unread 02/18/2008, 10:34 AM   #944
PaintGuru
Registered Member

It's funny that people are mentioning the slime. I have my overflow lines run into a mesh bag to keep the bubble from splashing all over. Well I just removed it to put a filter bag on for a few days and it was SOOOO slimey! I thought it was maybe from my algae die-off, but now I wonder if it is the same thing you guys are talking about.

Unread 02/18/2008, 11:46 AM   #945
RoyalEnchntrss
Registered Member

I'm wondering if it was from something in the VC pills? I cut back on my dosing and have been changing my filter floss/cleaning my skimmer a lot more and scrubbing the rocks off trying to get it all out of there... It looks better than it did so we'll see... My sand is still a mess though... I did have a small algae did off but I dont think it would cause this much slime...

Unread 02/18/2008, 03:03 PM   #946
G.SMITHII
Registered Member

hey, i just got some 500mg pure vit C tablets from kingsoopers.

they're like the lil capsules w/ balls inside.

my question is should i break the capsule open, and just add the vit c, or just stick the pills in?

Current Tank Info: 15 Gal. Mantis Tank. (20gal. tank, w/ 5-6" DSB, 25Lbs LR, so like 15gal. of water.) G. Smithii (Bane), A lot of Zoa and Paly frags, MGSP, Mushies, Candy Canes, other stuff... Fire Fish, Damsel, Peppermint Shrimp, and fluctuating CUC:)
Unread 02/18/2008, 06:21 PM   #947
Pufferpunk
Moved On

G.SMITHII, What are the exact ingredients? If you are not using buffered C, you will have to add buffer to your tank accordingly. Do you drip kalk? I would take it out of the capsules--I don;'t know what the gelatin will do to your tank. That's why I used tablets instead & now buffered powder.

As far as the slime & crazy skimmer--never even considered it was from algae die-off. My red turf algae is brown now & looks pretty much dead. I'm hoping it'll eventually dissolve in the water & get whisked away.

Unread 02/18/2008, 07:14 PM   #948
PaintGuru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyalEnchntrss
I'm wondering if it was from something in the VC pills? I cut back on my dosing and have been changing my filter floss/cleaning my skimmer a lot more and scrubbing the rocks off trying to get it all out of there... It looks better than it did so we'll see... My sand is still a mess though... I did have a small algae did off but I dont think it would cause this much slime...
I'm using pure Ca-VC, so I don't think it is anything like filler.

Unread 02/20/2008, 11:16 AM   #949
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Bump to 1st page. This should be a sticky!

Unread 02/20/2008, 04:08 PM   #950
jason214
Registered Member

now i have a lot smaller of a tank 29g w/o a sump where else do you think i could apply the vit.c maybe in my filter or something??

Closed Thread