Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2020, 03:01 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

a good fish trap for blue tang

Hi,

I have a 120 gallon tank and I need to get my blue hippo out. IT's about 4-5". What can I use to fish it out/trap it, without taking all the rocks out?

TY

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2020, 03:15 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

there are traps you can buy that have a sliding door. They work best if the fish you want to catch is not shy and has a veracious appetite...other fish will enter the trap too so you need patience

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2020, 03:20 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

I have used everything from an anniversary clock glass dome (nearly invisible underwater) to a baited large wine carafe to a diagonal section of lighting grid which could be gently moved up to trap a fish in a corner where I could net him. Her. It.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

There's also the old two liter soda bottle trap - google it, and if you're feeling sporty, a tiny hook and line. Or you could chase it into it's favorite rock and take the rock out.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2020, 07:01 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY everyone.. I like the 2 liter soda bottle. I bet in a week's time Tang will go in it. It's not super urgent so even if it's a few weeks. Tang can be mean on rare occasion, he's beaten up at least one of my anthias. Another is now missing so "he's" suspect. I know it's odd, as he seems happy in the tank. I know he woudl outgrow the tank, but I wasn't anticpaing to have to get him out at 'only' 4+". Such a nice fish that gets even more amazing the bigger he gets. He looked awekward at one point, then grew into a swan lol. And as mean as one :-D

Unread 08/04/2020, 08:32 PM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's so true about blue tangs - they're happy and mean at the same time. Lot's of personality, even with barely seeable eyes. I know you're sorry to have to remove it. Good call though.

Unread 08/05/2020, 09:50 PM   #7
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

if they get too big for a trap, they get big enough for a small hook and line. Bait it with nori or shrimp (whatever "dori" prefers). You wouldn't be the fist person to try to re-home a big tang to catch it with a hook. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2020, 01:51 AM   #8
Tastee
Registered Member

If you do decide to go ‘fishing’ please remember to use a barbless hook or to crush the barb down with pliers before using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2020, 03:19 PM   #9
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

A while back I had a yellow tang that gotten so aggressive I had to get him out. After trying other methods with varying results, I got up around 2 am and shined a light directly at the tang. He was stunned/disoriented long enough for me to scoop him up easily in a net, avoiding the coral and rocks. Once in the net he was P***ED! The deed was done though, without any noticeable long term effects and he went to a new home.
By far the easiest method I ever tried. He was obviously traumatized for a short time, like any method, but no cost or damage to rocks or coral.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2020, 02:36 PM   #10
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefteaser View Post
A while back I had a yellow tang that gotten so aggressive I had to get him out. After trying other methods with varying results, I got up around 2 am and shined a light directly at the tang. He was stunned/disoriented long enough for me to scoop him up easily in a net, avoiding the coral and rocks. Once in the net he was P***ED! The deed was done though, without any noticeable long term effects and he went to a new home.
By far the easiest method I ever tried. He was obviously traumatized for a short time, like any method, but no cost or damage to rocks or coral.
What "reefteaser" says.

Shine a light on the fish to temporary blind them. More specifically, a RED light if possible.

I don't remember the exact science of the red light, but I think it has smallest wavelength and not something fish are accustomed "seeing".

I want to say I saw it on BRSTV.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2020, 02:48 PM   #11
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This sounds awesome. I'll try it next time I need to catch a fish.

Unread 08/10/2020, 03:03 PM   #12
CTaylor
Registered Member

great idea on nigt time catch. but 'he's' lodged in the rocks to sleep at night

Unread 08/10/2020, 03:09 PM   #13
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Which circles us back to one of my suggestions: remove the rock it is hiding in.

Unread 08/12/2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

Maybe I just got lucky, but I threw a large rock the thad a long hole going all the way through it in my tank. I waited for my blue tang to get comfortable with it and just put two nets down on both sides when he swam in. Then I just pulled the rock out, flipped it to its side, and let him plop into one of the nets.

Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote