Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2018, 11:09 PM   #76
Dugless
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAirHarper View Post
I’ve been out for 4 years and I’m about to jump back in. What QT protocol do you use?
I’ve had decent success with the Tank Transfer Method with prazipro on the second and fourth stint. Years ago I would use hyposalinity but I never fully trusted the guaranteed efficacy that parasites still wouldn’t make it through. Pick up two cheap sets of equipment and you’re golden for TTM. I use 4 gal cheap sterilite containers with maxi jet 400s and jager heaters. If you aren’t familiar with the TTM protocol it’s worth a google search.

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 11:19 PM   #77
Dugless
Registered Member

Double post

Last edited by Dugless; 09/04/2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Double post
Unread 09/05/2018, 06:32 AM   #78
BigAirHarper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
I’ve had decent success with the Tank Transfer Method with prazipro on the second and fourth stint. Years ago I would use hyposalinity but I never fully trusted the guaranteed efficacy that parasites still wouldn’t make it through. Pick up two cheap sets of equipment and you’re golden for TTM. I use 4 gal cheap sterilite containers with maxi jet 400s and jager heaters. If you aren’t familiar with the TTM protocol it’s worth a google search.

Thanks, I have read about it years ago but will brush up on it. My last tank I kept fish in QT for weeks at the time treating with various stuff but I swear it never worked. I always fear I'm stressing fish out vs putting them directly in DT. I'll give the TTM a try. I like that there is no harsh chemicals and the water is fresh frequently!

BigAirHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2018, 06:27 PM   #79
Grayhead
Registered Member

Tank to tank or any quarantine is useless if the display is not fallow. If you already have fish who weren't QTed, then its futile since anything in the tank can infect new additions. I learned the hard way myself.

2- MP 40, 1- Vectra M1 return pump, Build thread below
http:
Grayhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2018, 06:51 PM   #80
Dugless
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayhead View Post
Tank to tank or any quarantine is useless if the display is not fallow. If you already have fish who weren't QTed, then its futile since anything in the tank can infect new additions. I learned the hard way myself.
Absolutely, QT every fish before it gets to the display.

Unread 09/13/2018, 06:38 AM   #81
Boggers
Registered Member

What is the first corals you plan to add? I am sure you have that narrowed down and planned already. 😀
Your 250 was always well planned

Boggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 03:04 PM   #82
Dugless
Registered Member

I've been sitting on a chunk of ASD Phoenix while I diagnosed the issues with the alkalinity instability. It has been colorless for months, but has shown signs of coloring up the last month.

With positive signs on the Phoenix montipora and some classic film algaes starting to grow, I decided to try some acropora. I didn't want to put anything in I wouldn't want to keep long term, so it is a bit of an expensive trial. I've snagged some WWC Ding Dang, ASD Rainbow, BigR Walt Disney, CB Maleficent, RR Pink Floyd, Pink Cadillac and JF Flame frags. Fingers crossed things continue to go well and I see some encrusting.

If these initial pieces do well, I'll have Adam at Battlecorals ship my order I placed in February. He has been kind enough to hold them and let them continue to grow in his system. I'm hopeful these will be substantially larger than the 3/4" nubs I have so far.