Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2016, 10:25 AM   #101
karimwassef
Registered Member

Looks great!! Think some more bright red on the left would be awesome.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2016, 12:24 AM   #102
phobos2deimos
Registered Member

Very nice! Your new green macro is Caulerpa Brachypus. It's a pest if you don't stay on top of it, but very cool if you keep it under control.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Unread 05/01/2016, 06:49 PM   #103
cksss
Registered Member

Thanks guy!

The orange gracilaria didnt make it. i've only seen the blue tang nibbling on the C.prolifera, most of the rest have been left alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Another great color added with the orange grasilaria! Does the blue tang eat any of your plants? I'm finding the limits of what I can keep, with my atlantic blue tang.
Great idea! I think i've the space for more red now
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Looks great!! Think some more bright red on the left would be awesome.
Wow Thanks! so its a beautiful pest which requires low light. Got it
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos2deimos View Post
Very nice! Your new green macro is Caulerpa Brachypus. It's a pest if you don't stay on top of it, but very cool if you keep it under control.

cksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 04:20 PM   #104
agold11520
Registered Member

Stop wasting time and money and get a small aptasia eating file fish. He (or she) will keep your tank aptasia free. Pepermint shrimp didn't do squat in my tanks!

agold11520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 02:20 AM   #105
cksss
Registered Member

Thanks for the advise
I've thought about that option, and i think its risky with mandarin fishes and seahorses in the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by agold11520 View Post
Stop wasting time and money and get a small aptasia eating file fish. He (or she) will keep your tank aptasia free. Pepermint shrimp didn't do squat in my tanks!

Unread 05/03/2016, 03:53 PM   #106
karimwassef
Registered Member

Why would you think that mandarins and seahorses would be in conflict with filefish? They're actually comparable in temperment IME.

Filefish in nature usually live in little pods. They like to hover as a group to simulate similar appendages to the coral or algae they're blending into. They're gentle hoverers (is that a word?)

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 05/03/2016, 10:24 PM   #107
cksss
Registered Member

Based on multiple compatibility chart i found
http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/719...bility-Charts/
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml
http://fusedjaw.com/aquariumcare/sea...afe-whats-not/

The Regal tang in the tank in high on the threat list, I just cant stomach the idea of adding another high threat specie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Why would you think that mandarins and seahorses would be in conflict with filefish? They're actually comparable in temperment IME.

Filefish in nature usually live in little pods. They like to hover as a group to simulate similar appendages to the coral or algae they're blending into. They're gentle hoverers (is that a word?)

Unread 05/04/2016, 09:06 PM   #108
karimwassef
Registered Member

Interesting tables. Have you seen filefish in a tank?

It looks like there may be some validity to it, but more around the pipefish picking at the seahorses' frills without intending harm, and the risk of two equally fragile species in the same tank. Some say that it works, but they can compete for food...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705540
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/32224...-and-pipefish/

There is definitely some debate on the topic

http://seahorse.com/forum/aiptasia-e...hys-tomentosus

Unread 08/24/2016, 02:19 PM   #109
iiismet
Registered Member

How's your tank doing!

iiismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 08:05 AM   #110
CKS
Registered Member

Summer is here!

Finally managed to make some new photos of the display tank. I've lost most of the non-green macroalgae. They vanished suddenly. There are still some tiny strain of purple Ochtodes in the overflow. Hopefully it will return to its 'glorious day'. I've no idea what could have caused it, probably lack of certain nutrient which i'm unable to measure. The display tank is dominated by green macro now.

I am still constantly fighting a losing battle with the aiptasia and nutrient (lack-of). Almost doubled my nutrient dosing to keep the macro happy. The fishes and seahorses are still healthy though And it is about time to harvest those pesty brittle starfishes again.

CKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 01:57 PM   #111
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Your tank is still beautiful, despite the losses! I just see it as an ebb and flow thing. My tang wiped out pretty much all plant life (except the grasses) in my tank. Now that he's gone, everything is bouncing back beautifully.

I am very curious as to what caused your red macros to perish. Would you mind posting what you've been dosing? I'm sure a lot of us plant heads are a little nervous, seeing a tank like yours have a "wipeout"! If we could figure out what happened we'd all sleep better!

It's funny, you inspired me to get some micro brittle stars!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2016, 08:45 AM   #112
cksss
Registered Member

The FTS on Nov 2016, long overdue update

The aiptasia are gone! but its not exactly a good news, i've also lost many brittlestars and fanworm which might be the result of the aggressive anti-aiptasia campaign. Think i went overboard by adding both the copperband & filefish, and one or both of them found the starfishes and worms to be delicious too

I have also discovered that the Gyre wave-maker hasn't been performing as it should after a year of running. Had to replace the impeller and its all good now. And that could be the reason why the macroalgae hasnt been doing well. I have also been monitoring the water level more closely to ensure NO3 stays above 5ppm.

These are what I have dosing now.

With more regular dosage + higher water flow and now the Ochtodes are back! Hopefully i've have luck replanting them into the main display.

The C.Prolifera have also taken root in the sediment and almost everywhere else
I've been growing the macro in the sump attached to egg-crate, it makes them easier to be shifted to another part of the tank. Heres one egg-crate-O-Macro stuck on the sandbed.

Unread 11/03/2016, 08:45 AM   #113
cksss
Registered Member

And the status of the sump/ATS/algae incubator where i keep 'back-up' of algae strains

The fastest growing macro today is the Ulva, they can multiply nearly by twice everyweek

And lastly, another photo of the beautiful copperband with 3 different kinds of green macro (C.Prolifera, C.Serrulata, C.Taxifolia)

Unread 11/03/2016, 12:59 PM   #114
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Beautiful tank. Sorry about your losses though.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2016, 02:29 PM   #115
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looking gorgeous, as usual, cksss! Looks like some of the reds are coming back nicely. Great pics too, especially that first one of the copperband!

Thanks for showing what you dose. Pretty close to what I dose. It's odd that your reds would go before the more nutrient-greedy caulerpas. And you were dosing all those, when the reds went? If so, my best guess would be carbon limitation or allelopathy. This is when plants put out chemicals harmful to other plants. With three different caulerpas competing with the reds for nutrients, it's a real possibility. And carbon limitation is the most common nutrient deficiency in planted aquariums.

I had the same issue with my aiptasia 'controllers'. They work well, but go after other stuff you don't want eaten. I'm now on a very slow removal program, using berghia nudibranchs. I didn't get near enough for my plague, but they are gradually making a dent.

Unread 11/03/2016, 07:10 PM   #116
cksss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Beautiful tank. Sorry about your losses though.
Thank you Chasmodes! I've been wanting to give away the anti-aiptasia unit, but my wife bonded with them already

Quote:
Looking gorgeous, as usual, cksss! Looks like some of the reds are coming back nicely. Great pics too, especially that first one of the copperband!

Thanks for showing what you dose. Pretty close to what I dose. It's odd that your reds would go before the more nutrient-greedy caulerpas. And you were dosing all those, when the reds went? If so, my best guess would be carbon limitation or allelopathy. This is when plants put out chemicals harmful to other plants. With three different caulerpas competing with the reds for nutrients, it's a real possibility. And carbon limitation is the most common nutrient deficiency in planted aquariums.

I had the same issue with my aiptasia 'controllers'. They work well, but go after other stuff you don't want eaten. I'm now on a very slow removal program, using berghia nudibranchs. I didn't get near enough for my plague, but they are gradually making a dent.
Hi Michael! Great to hear that u're prepared for the aiptasia apocalypse. I'd have gotten berghia nudibranchs too if they're available. I also understand that you have been doing CO2 injection, I wouldnt mind trying something with less hassle, like CO3 in liquid form, but what i read about the effect of dosing Seachem's Flourish Excel is pretty scary

Unread 11/03/2016, 09:47 PM   #117
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, cksss, I've got a lot of them! While I patiently wait for the berghias to do their thing, I'm pretending my aiptasias are pretty…

CO2 isn't marketed very well. They make it look complicated. CO2 tank, regulator, airline tubing. That's it. I set the bubble rate with the regulator (simple!), and forget it. I check it around once a month.

Macro algae's C-N-P (carbon, nitrogen, phosphate) ratio is around 400-40-1. All aquariums with fish in them have plenty of nitrogen (40) and phosphate (1), but not carbon (400). The nutrient that plants need most is all but ignored. What are plants' preferred form of carbon? CO2.

Unread 11/04/2016, 10:37 AM   #118
phobos2deimos
Registered Member

Tank looks good and those pics are excellent!

Unread 01/03/2017, 09:12 AM   #119
cksss
Registered Member

Thank you for the kind words guys! And Happy New Year!

Here's a quick update of the tank in 2017. Lost most of the Caulerpa and the purple Ochtodes are coming back strong

Unread 01/04/2017, 10:09 AM   #120
zachfishman
Registered Member

This is beautiful.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 10:32 AM   #121
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Happy New Year to you too! Beautiful as usual! That purple one is awesome.

I'm curious about the jars. What are they for? Social commentary? Feeding stations? Refugiums?

Unread 01/06/2017, 08:07 AM   #122
cksss
Registered Member

Thank you Zachfishman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfishman View Post
This is beautiful.
Happy New year Michael!
There were there initially as feeding station for the mandarin fishes. They're alot smarter & faster in feeding now! I still toss food into those jars through a feeding tube, but it attracts mostly the nassarius snails and brittlestars. The mandarin seems to have 'outgrown' them!
Quote:
Happy New Year to you too! Beautiful as usual! That purple one is awesome.

I'm curious about the jars. What are they for? Social commentary? Feeding stations? Refugiums?

Unread 01/06/2017, 08:31 AM   #123
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool. It's good to hear you're keeping mandarins well-fed!

Unread 03/29/2017, 07:17 AM   #124
cksss
Registered Member

March 2017 updates, the tank is going to reach 2-years mark in a month.

Its mostly dominated by C.Prolifera which managed to root themselve over half the sandbed now. The purple Ochtodes are back and bigger than before While the sump is mostly Ulva as filter. I'm constantly fighting to keep the NO3 above 10ppm to prevent the algae from dying.

The current living inhabitants in the display tank are

- pair of mandarin fishes
- clownfish
- regal tang
- Christmas tree worm
- lots of brittle starfishes, snails who are laying eggs everyweek?, sea cucumber

Harvested lots of baby brittle starfishes

Would anyone be able to identify the anemone in the middle of this photo? They have multiplied quite abit, not as fast as the pesky aiptasia though.

Unread 03/29/2017, 11:28 PM   #125
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great pics! So natural. No idea on the anemone.