Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2021, 11:00 PM   #1
jlmawp
Registered Member

Little Worried

My wife and I are away from home for a bit, and have someone popping in a couple time to water plants, feed the tank, top off water, etc. Unfortunately, previous to leaving 72 hours ago, she flipped a light switch that gives power to the tank components on her way out. Ugh (yes, that is getting fixed!). We just discovered on her next visit, and everything is working again.

Our home is set to 65 degrees while we are out, and the tank is normally at 77. So basically the tank was 12 degrees below normal, with no flow and no lights for 72 hours. 10 gallon mixed reef with nothing but a shrimp and a couple hermits.

Am I over-worrying about this? I would think everything would bounce back, right?

Last edited by jlmawp; 02/24/2021 at 09:53 PM.
jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Better cold than heat. I'd ask her to tape that light switch to ON, ie, with sticky tape, and maybe that will keep her from automatic switch flipping. That first. 65 degrees is not lethal generally, but 62 is. Point two, your sand and rock will chill down more slowly than the water. PROBABLY everything in the tank is ok, bacteria, hermits almost certainly, the rock-hugging shrimp probably hugged it close and kept warm, but 10 gallons is pretty reactive to environmental changes. Nothing you can do at this point. If the shrimp dies, hopefully the hermits will take care of it. But you can't afford another 72 hour chilldown.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2021, 09:56 PM   #3
jlmawp
Registered Member

Ok, thanks, fingers crossed. That makes me feel a little better. Didn't know 62 was a tipping point. I'll be back sooner than I expected, so I can at least have peace of mind.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2021, 10:31 AM   #4
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Things normally recover from those temps. For instance, my tank was fine when I lost power until the house dropped into the 50s. Things very quickly went down hill at that point. A combination of low temps and no circulation (oxygenation) killed my tank. Yours will likely be fine, especially the fish. There's a risk, but it doesn't sound like it got too cold.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2021, 07:55 AM   #5
Timfish
Registered Member

What Sk8r said. With what you've described I would think your tank "should" be ok. I would expect some nuisance algae issues in 1-3 weeks even if everything looks ok when you get back. The temperarture swing will slow the feeding of any corals you have giving algae a chance to get ahead.