Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2014, 01:39 PM   #1
emrogers13
Registered Member

First Post -125g FOWLR Stocking Advice

Hello All,

Looking to get some advice from you all on a stocking list/order. I am new to the saltwater world and am in the process of setting up my first tank. It is a 125 gallon FOWLR with dual overflows, a 30g sump (with a skimmer) and live rock and sand.

Here is what I am hoping to add to the tank (and in the order I think I should add them to the tank...?). Before you have a panic attack please understand that I know these fish will have a large bio load and will need a larger tank in a few years. I do have plans to add an additional (larger tank) as soon as the rest of our home renovations are complete.

-majestic angelfish
-antennata or dwarf zebra lionfish
-huma huma trigger/niger trigger
-pair of maroon clowns
-flame/bicolor/coral beauty angelfish
-snowflake or zebra moray eel
-hippo tang/yellow tang/foxface

I recognize that these are all large, aggressive species for the most part. My questions for you experts are...

1)Is this list absolutely insane? If so, who would you nix? (PLEASE don't scream at me. I'm honestly just trying to learn as much as I can before I add fish and have a disaster on my hands. If I've seriously messed up this list let me know and I will heed your advice. I'm not out to torture fish just because I think they all look pretty.)

2)What problems should I expect to come up with these species all sharing a tank for a couple years?

3) Which species should I expect to need to move to a bigger tank? How soon should I expect to have to do this?

4) What (if anything) should I use as a cleaning crew?

5)Is this a correct order for adding these species?

Any advice you all have would be fantastic! I am still waiting for my stand to finish being built so I have plenty of time to revise and revise and revise and change my mind 1000 times.

emrogers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2014, 03:40 PM   #2
dc
Moderator Emeritus

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

See if we can get more info here.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2014, 04:18 PM   #3
NTP66
Registered Member

I'll throw my $.02 in on a few of these.

1. Nix the lion if you plan on having triggers (there's a thread about it at the top of this forum).

4. You can try snails and hermits, but your trigger will likely make a meal of them at some point. Mine has been well behaved with snails, but that will likely change in the future. Nassarius snails might work out well, since they spend most of the time under the sand. The smart snails and crabs learn to only come out at night.

5. The trigger should be added last. When you saw Humu, do you mean a Rectangle trigger or Picasso trigger? Rectangles grow slower, and from what I've read and heard from others aren't as aggressive as Picassos. Of course, one thing you'll always hear about them is to never trust a trigger.

I'm sure you'll get other replies to help fill in the blanks.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2014, 10:23 PM   #4
danimallaminad
Registered Member

I'd go zebra moray, no experience but heard they are safer with fish and less aggressive.

danimallaminad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angelfish, fowlr, lionfish, stocking help, trigger