Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Riad
Registered Member

Peninsula pump placement

Hey all...

For the past 3.5 years I had been running a peninsula tank with a trapezoid overflow... that decision was not optimum to say the least, but that's the setup I'm living with.

I've been running an MP-60 (as shown in the 2nd image) and two Gyre FX pumps on each side of the overflow. The thin magnets of the Gyre pumps, and the fact that they can be install vertical made them a good candidate.

So the question... does anyone have experience running pumps in this tank configuration? I almost feel like I can remove the MP-60 or the Gyers... Keeping the MP-60 would be my first choice because of the ease of cleaning and operation.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Rob

Attached Images
File Type: jpg reef tank.jpg (45.6 KB, 30 views)
Riad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Riad
Registered Member

I forgot to add the second pic of the MP-60..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (50.3 KB, 39 views)
Unread 09/05/2019, 09:10 AM   #3
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

on my peninsula tank it is a 450 gallon 72*48*30.
I have not pumps on the end as I like the clear panel look. I set it up with 4 sea swirls in the return. I have to gyre 350's and to octo pulse pump on the over flow end. I have plenty of flow due to the rebound of flow hitting the clear panel wall. I did have 2 large tunzes on the overflow side for a while but I went with the Reef Octopus pulse pumps as they are not as chunky and move similar amounts of water. these are also adjustable like tunzes as well. If I were to do it again I would remove the seaswirls and do a closed loop for additional random flow.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Riad
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
on my peninsula tank it is a 450 gallon 72*48*30.
I have not pumps on the end as I like the clear panel look. I set it up with 4 sea swirls in the return. I have to gyre 350's and to octo pulse pump on the over flow end. I have plenty of flow due to the rebound of flow hitting the clear panel wall. I did have 2 large tunzes on the overflow side for a while but I went with the Reef Octopus pulse pumps as they are not as chunky and move similar amounts of water. these are also adjustable like tunzes as well. If I were to do it again I would remove the seaswirls and do a closed loop for additional random flow.
Thank you! Great information. I might take off the Vortec MP-60 and leave the two gyre's and see how that works!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon mixed reef tank