Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2011, 11:28 AM   #26
copps
Premium Member

Thanks again everyone! For those asking for photos of my equipment I will get to it as soon as I can... I'm still recovering from the hundreds I took!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet work View Post
Would you be kind enough to tell me where you sourced the plastic mesh I noticed covering one of the tanks?
Shooting you a PM... a member on another board has a bunch that he sells cheaply... not sure if I could link it in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkiter View Post
ph, redox?
it's fantastic!!!
pH runs between 7.7 and 7.9... ORP I have no idea any more as I do not monitor it...

Quote:
po4 and no3?
Both were undetectable when I last tested... I notice these in my corals before a test kit will tell me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Chang View Post
Good evening John !

Congratulations from Panama beautiful and very impressed with yr tanks and all of your set-ups !! Also very informative your comments in general.
I have 2 questions for you:
1) the distance of the lights from the surface of the water to the bulbs. mine are abt 10
inches 3 x 250W 14K M. Halides.
2) dimensions of your main tank 180 glns.
I started months ago with few sps frags purchased in Miami and I wonder if the distance is OK !! my tank is 150 glns capacity.
thanks in advance yr kind attention.

Regards
Fernando Chang
Gracias Fernando! My reflectors are 9" off of the water and the bulbs themselves are 11". The 180 gallon is 6' x 2' x 2'... a standard 180 gallon here in the states. Is there a saltwater hobby in Panama? I lived in Ecuador and travel back there yearly with my family and there is still no saltwater hobby I've found...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2011, 11:50 AM   #27
Fernando Chang
Registered Member

Hi John !

Good day, thanks very much for yr reply ! as regards to the reef hobby in Panama unfortunately there is not much very few people are in this hobby and most of the informations abt the reef keeping are coming from the internet. Also there is only one shop that sells corals and fishes but not variiety (varidedad) most of the corals are softies. There is a lack of information of reef keeping in Panama. Now I am trying with the sps corals.

Saludos
Fernando Chang

Current Tank Info: 60''L x 24''W x 27''H with a 75 glns sump with no sand nor caulerpa only water but containing: phosphate removal reactor, carbon reactor, biopelets chamber. Have installed P. Skimmer Octopus Super Reef EXT5000 , Chiller 1HP.
Fernando Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2011, 11:56 AM   #28
copps
Premium Member

Fernando are you friends with the shop? I am friends with a few people that ship to Latin America, y tambien hablan español! Let me know if I could help get you some better diversity. Good luck being a pioneer in your country though Fernando!

John

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 01/09/2011, 12:03 PM   #29
Fernando Chang
Registered Member

Thanks John, Yes I know the manager of the shop AQUARIUM WORLD and understand he ordered the corals and fishes from Miami and Los Angeles. sometimes he traveled to choose the corals/fishes but this doesn`t works because always brings the same variety. Maybe he has to change the distributors in Miami and Los Angeles if you can recommend some I shall this information to him.
thanks for your interest.

Regards
Fernando Chang

Current Tank Info: 60''L x 24''W x 27''H with a 75 glns sump with no sand nor caulerpa only water but containing: phosphate removal reactor, carbon reactor, biopelets chamber. Have installed P. Skimmer Octopus Super Reef EXT5000 , Chiller 1HP.
Fernando Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2011, 01:03 PM   #30
Ninong
Team RC Member

Congratulations, John! Your tank is absolutely gorgeous.

Unread 01/09/2011, 04:31 PM   #31
solastsummer
Registered Member

copps do you have a video anywhere of feeding time, i'd love to see that!

solastsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2011, 11:03 PM   #32
jsdancer
Registered Member

Congrats!
I love your tanks and love the fact that you are a fanatic of anglefish!
Continued success my friend and your article was well written!

Unread 01/10/2011, 01:59 PM   #33
bourbeaue
Registered Member

Inspiring...

Have you published anything (thread or other) on specific angelfish species and reefs ? I am very interested in your perspective rather than relying on urban legend or outdated unwritten rules.

Thanks !

Current Tank Info: SPS LPS Reef: 165g Starphire custom Miracles, custom sump, AC3, DIY LED, UV, Geo Ca reactor, nanostreams, two other small SW tanks
bourbeaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2011, 04:45 PM   #34
Laddy
Registered Member

John,

I already commented in the "unofficial TOTM thread", but allow me to post in the correct venue. What I wanted to see, and found, in your write up is something that gets over-looked even with some of the most seasoned hobbyist: redundencies and backups. The last few paragraphs should be read and re-read by most of us.

As a persons tank grows from small to large, not only do live stock quantities start to double, but replacement costs start to increase exponentially as well (not to mention emotional investments). My wife and I live just south of SF, and this is the time of year where we can expect to encounter a power outage at least once. My wife, daughter and I may huddle under the blankets at this time eating take-out pizza holding flashlights, but the little Honda generator I have out back can run for days powering the essentials on the tank. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.

Also, I'd like to say that out of the "elite hobbyists" on RC, you appear to always take the time to further everyone elses knowledge of the hobby with extremely well written and cared for responses. This hobby is more about deductive reasoning than anything, and you give your years of acquired knowledge away for the price of an internet connection. Couple that with the fact that two different people, at two different coral/fish stores in the bay area last year said to me something like "Hey do know the guy back east who mixes multiple angel fish into his reef tank.....that dude is sick!", that more than establishes you in this hobby, and more than deserving of a TOTM.

God speed.

Hobbies: I enjoy moving water from point A, to point B, back to point A

WANTED: True ATL Appleberry Palawanensis Frag, PM me.

Current Tank Info: Current Build: 180 Reef; 55 holding tank
Laddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2011, 06:11 PM   #35
disciple
Registered Member

Very nice tank!!!
I have an anglefish question. I would be interested in getting a pair of dwarf anglefish for my 120gallon 2'x2'x4' dt. Right now I have only a clam, mushroom rock, sixline, two clowns and plenty of live rock. I was interested in either a pair of potters or coral beauties. How does one go about getting a pair and or pairing these fish up. Do you also have any advice between the two.

disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2011, 07:55 PM   #36
Dave1NC
Registered Member

A video would be cool, but it looks like you have you have a full plate taking care of fish, corals, etc.

Truly an inspiration!

Dave1NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 01:09 AM   #37
jc-reef
Registered Member

Amazing system you have there to say the least!!! I agree with the others, a video tour of your tanks' set up/fish room would be stellar!! Congrats on another TOTM

Current Tank Info: 300gal DD upgraded from 90 gal Mixed Reef Powered by T5 / LED
jc-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 05:30 AM   #38
Aquafred
Registered Member

Congrats on TOTM.
Well deserved.

Aquafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 04:00 PM   #39
reefkiter
Registered Member

John,
do you think to feed fish with dry food means not to food corals good?
thanks

reefkiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 12:05 AM   #40
Aquaticadvisor
Registered Member

Conratulations on Totm. Truly an inspiration. I have a question regarding the use of your U/V sterilizer. You stated a properly placed U/V, Ideally on a closed loop. Can you give me some more specifics/details on this ? In addition, what flow thru rate are you using ? Are you worried about destroying any planktonic food supply for your reef or is this a non-issue ?

Thanks

Aquaticadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 12:49 AM   #41
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Congrats John!

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 07:01 AM   #42
Rhodes19
Registered Member

Absolutely amazing. I love your corals and I'm glad to hear it will be possible to keep some angels. They are some of my most favorite fish but never gave thought to getting any because the would eat my corals. I'm going to click on over the the thread you mentioned and start reading up on them. Thanks.

Rhodes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 11:06 AM   #43
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solastsummer View Post
copps do you have a video anywhere of feeding time, i'd love to see that!
I will do this by next weekend hopefully and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbeaue View Post
Inspiring...

Have you published anything (thread or other) on specific angelfish species and reefs ? I am very interested in your perspective rather than relying on urban legend or outdated unwritten rules.

Thanks !
I have a bunch of threads you could search for, and I have a number of Powerpoint presentations I do for clubs, but little published info on this, although that will be changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
John,

I already commented in the "unofficial TOTM thread", but allow me to post in the correct venue. What I wanted to see, and found, in your write up is something that gets over-looked even with some of the most seasoned hobbyist: redundencies and backups. The last few paragraphs should be read and re-read by most of us.

As a persons tank grows from small to large, not only do live stock quantities start to double, but replacement costs start to increase exponentially as well (not to mention emotional investments). My wife and I live just south of SF, and this is the time of year where we can expect to encounter a power outage at least once. My wife, daughter and I may huddle under the blankets at this time eating take-out pizza holding flashlights, but the little Honda generator I have out back can run for days powering the essentials on the tank. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.

Also, I'd like to say that out of the "elite hobbyists" on RC, you appear to always take the time to further everyone elses knowledge of the hobby with extremely well written and cared for responses. This hobby is more about deductive reasoning than anything, and you give your years of acquired knowledge away for the price of an internet connection. Couple that with the fact that two different people, at two different coral/fish stores in the bay area last year said to me something like "Hey do know the guy back east who mixes multiple angel fish into his reef tank.....that dude is sick!", that more than establishes you in this hobby, and more than deserving of a TOTM.

God speed.
Thanks James! I was just in the Bay Area in September of last year... I met up with the crew at the Steinhart Aquarium and spoke for a club in Stockton... happy to chalk up some points for us reefers "back east"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple View Post
Very nice tank!!!
I have an anglefish question. I would be interested in getting a pair of dwarf anglefish for my 120gallon 2'x2'x4' dt. Right now I have only a clam, mushroom rock, sixline, two clowns and plenty of live rock. I was interested in either a pair of potters or coral beauties. How does one go about getting a pair and or pairing these fish up. Do you also have any advice between the two.
Either species would work in a pair or trio in a 120... both Potter's and coral beauties are very closely related. One thing about Potter's angels that many people do not realize is that they most times cannot tolerate very warm reef temperatures in the high 70s low 80s for extended periods of time. Potter's are a Hawaiian endemic, and named after the first director of the Waikiki Aquarium Frederick Potter. While Hawaii is a tropical paradise, it's waters are essentially subtropical and while they may hit 80 degrees it is for short periods of time. For the most part a fish that is exclusively found in cooler temps in the wild will require these temps long term in captivity to thrive. Also, Potter's are very susceptible to a specific trematode that needs to be treated for. Aside from those two things they adapt well and are hardy, but this is often overlooked and they are given a bad name when those two issues are not considered.

Coral beauties are the most widely distributed pygmy angel species being found from South Africa to the Central Pacific, so no worries with those. Be careful with your sixline though as they can become very aggressive to new additions.

The ideal way to mix these is to get two or three small to medium specimens, quarantine them separately, and introduce into the display at once, or stagger the introduction with the smallest individual getting a few days head start in the display.

Copps

Unread 01/12/2011, 11:27 AM   #44
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
John,
do you think to feed fish with dry food means not to food corals good?
thanks
The reason I almost exclusively feed frozen is not to feed my corals... I only feed my corals with good water quality, light, and fish poop... I have thousands upon thousands of polyps in this system... were I to worry about feeding all of them my water quality would be tanked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticadvisor View Post
Conratulations on Totm. Truly an inspiration. I have a question regarding the use of your U/V sterilizer. You stated a properly placed U/V, Ideally on a closed loop. Can you give me some more specifics/details on this ? In addition, what flow thru rate are you using ? Are you worried about destroying any planktonic food supply for your reef or is this a non-issue ?

Thanks
UV kills the free swimming trophant stages of many diseases... I've noticed their effectiveness is much great on a closed loop as opposed to in the sump or in some other remote location, keeping in mind that their effectiveness will never be 100%. The flow through rate varies according to each system of course... you want it slow enough that it has a decent kill rate and fats enough that it turns over enough volume... also realize it is not an exact science the ideal flow through rate is not completely critical to obtain. Planktonic food supply I am not concerned with one iota...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast Marine View Post
Congrats John!
Thanks Dan! If your product was available when I set this system up I would be running a lot of it!

Copps

Unread 01/12/2011, 11:40 AM   #45
chimmike
oxygen abuser

Absolutely fantastic job. Impressive husbandry, congrats!

chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 11:58 AM   #46
disciple
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice.

As far as the UV goes would you consider this a necessity in keeping angels?

disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2011, 05:26 AM   #47
NexDog
Snail Killer

The Legend.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
NexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2011, 01:18 PM   #48
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple View Post
Thanks for the advice.

As far as the UV goes would you consider this a necessity in keeping angels?
Far from a necessity... but when doing this much with fish it absolutely helps...

Thanks again all...

Catching up on PMs... I will get to everyone...

Copps

Unread 01/14/2011, 02:33 PM   #49
teo reef
Aquascaping geek

Congrats John! Your tank is beautiful!!

Unread 01/14/2011, 03:44 PM   #50
reefkiter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copps View Post
The reason I almost exclusively feed frozen is not to feed my corals... I only feed my corals with good water quality, light, and fish poop...
i would say that fish poop is liquid and not solid with feed frozen for fish...than it can food coral...
while fish poop is not liquid with dry feed...than it can't food coral
is it a nonsense?

reefkiter is offline   Reply With Quote