Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Scubabum
Registered Member

First ever Maxima Clam. Tear in Mantle

I purchased a Maxima Clam just over a week ago and over the last couple of days noticed it was not opening as large as it did for the first several days. When it opened this morning I noticed a small tear in the Mantle. I inspected the clam closely and did not find any Pryamid snails and nothing in the tank seems to be nipping or bothering the clam. Not sure what caused this and Not sure what to do. Will it repair itself?? Looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

Scubabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Where is the tear? Are you talking about the siphon intake?

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Scubabum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Where is the tear? Are you talking about the siphon intake?

The incurrent siphon is on the far left, not shown in the picture. I have to admit the tear looks like the incurrent siphon. If you look right above the tear you will see the excurrent siphon. After posting this I remembered something. When I fed the other day a large piece of LRS food fell on the mantle and my Melanurus Wrasse plucked out the food. Not sure if thats what caused the tear. Thank you very much for your response.

Unread 06/05/2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Shortly after I got my Maxima, I also had a tear. In my case it was due to the pump I use for water changes had its outflow aimed at the clam and apparently created the tear. Needless to say, I freaked out and sent photos to my LFS guy, who is awesome. He actually helped me to figure out what may have hole did heal up, I don’t remember how long it took. The only advice I can offer is keep an eye on it and keep giving it the best conditions you can so that it has the overall good health to recover quicker.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Scubabum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly clownfish View Post
Shortly after I got my Maxima, I also had a tear. In my case it was due to the pump I use for water changes had its outflow aimed at the clam and apparently created the tear. Needless to say, I freaked out and sent photos to my LFS guy, who is awesome. He actually helped me to figure out what may have hole did heal up, I don’t remember how long it took. The only advice I can offer is keep an eye on it and keep giving it the best conditions you can so that it has the overall good health to recover quicker.
Thanks for answering. The clam is still opening everyday and responding well to light so I'm hoping for the best.