Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2018, 02:55 AM   #1
Stantanman
Registered Member

Question for you all!

Hey all, new here.
I have recently moved out of home and only have a very small apartment, i can no longer have a large reef.
So this brings me to a question i have been thinking about.
Should i spend my money on a high quality 20-30g volume tank with sump in back (like the nuvo tanks) with controllers and all or a lower quality 40-50g tank with sump, cheaper equipment and no controller. Or meet the two options in between and get 20-30g tank with sump, good equipment but no controllers.
Also are controllers actually that usefull, thinking about getting the ghl profilux 4.
Please don't be hesitant to post, all advice is welcome.
Thanks

Stantanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 05:47 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I'm a huge proponent of purchasing the very best you can, while thinking of the future as well. Spend money on things like lighting and filtration. The tank itself is nothing more than a glass (or acrylic) box to keep the water off the floor. It is also something that you will almost certainly outgrow, so spending big $$$ on a smaller tank just does not make a lot of sense to me... I'd get something that can be repurposed int he future - say a 40 breeder that will make an awesome sump in a few years for the 120/180/........ that you know you really want.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 06:52 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Look at the equipment you want and that will dictate if a controller is needed or not..
IMO controllers really aren't a necessity at all and one can EASILY do without one..
-Lights...Many come with a built in controller already but even a standard lamp timer can get a non-controllable one to turn on/off as needed...
-Return pumps.. Some have some but thats a device you turn on and don't need to turn off ever really... just unplug it for water changes..
-Heaters... A blue inkbird from amazon is about $30 and can control up to 1000W of heaters..
-ATO system... Many/most of those have their own controller too..

You can also just pick up a wifi power strip for around $30 too now that can be set to turn outlets on/off at a certain time or in response to a button press on the app via your phone remotely..

And for a small system like you are talking about I really just don't see why you would need a controller at all...

Unread 06/17/2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Alfrareef
Registered Member

With that water volume I wouldn’t need a controller, but it all comes down to a personal decision.
Perhaps you love controllers, programming “challenges” and that feel that you are controlling the controller that controls everything else and you do all that with just a button. ;-)
As per the tank and stand I always go with the best glass and “furniture” I can buy because if it’s in my living room it should look good. Beware noise...
Equipment also the best because I don’t like failures and regular maintenance.

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 10:10 AM   #5
bblumberg
Registered Member

I am with Billdogg - buy high quality equipment and you won't regret it. A 40g breeder is a good size and will make a great sump in the future. Maybe wait for the next Petco dollar/gallon sale and get a 40g breeder and 20g long for ~$60?

Controller is not needed, but is very convenient to have. I like to be able to monitor my tanks when I am away. But I'd not get one until you have the necessities (lights, filter, flow). I have Apex classics on my tanks.

Lastly, watch the boards and Craigslist. You might be able to pick up a nice setup for much less than it would cost to collect everything yourself.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 01:10 PM   #6
josephxsxn
Registered Member

I don't use a controller personally on any of my 4 tanks. The one thing I have found myself doing that I don't see often is running dual thermostats for a single heater. This allows one to monitor any calibration drift between the two sensors and to have better upper and lower shutoff limits just in case the heater fails on and tryd to boil the tank. I used the blue ink bird thermostats that mcgyvr talked about above.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 01:36 PM   #7
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would also go with a 40 breeder dt & something like a 20L sump. I just like the deminsions of the 40 breeder. It’s also a size that will give u a couple more options regarding fish. For instance, I have a couple leopard wrasses that are in my 40 breeder that I wouldn’t put in a tank any smaller.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote