Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2016, 06:59 PM   #201
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Your continual weekly water testing should tell you when you need to add your filters. Yes, I would start your refugium on a reverse photo-period from the start.

Dave.M

Thanks Dave! What am I looking for in the continual water testing that triggers the need for GFO and carbon? I should've worded that differently originally.

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2016, 08:15 PM   #202
dave.m
Registered Member

Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) pulls out dissolved bio matter, including stuff that makes the water yellow. Some people take a white plastic card and colour in half of it with yellow permanent marker. If you can dip the card into the tank about halfway in and halfway down and can't see the difference between yellow and white it is time to change out your GAC (old Albert Thiel trick). You can begin using GAC now that you have started the living processes in your tank.

Granulated Ferric Oxide (GFO) is used to control phosphates (although it can also affect some other mineral balances in the water). Start testing for phosphates now.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 06:30 AM   #203
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Dave, THANK YOU for the explanation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/18/2016, 07:12 AM   #204
damienpbuckley
Registered Member

This is epic. Subscribed & tuning in from Brisbane (Australia). G'day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damienpbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 08:52 AM   #205
EagleI
Registered Member

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing and what an awesome build. I'm in the very early stages of a 240g and you guys have already helped me learn a lot. Will follow this one for sure.

EagleI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 01:23 PM   #206
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleI View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for sharing and what an awesome build. I'm in the very early stages of a 240g and you guys have already helped me learn a lot. Will follow this one for sure.

Thanks! Good luck on your build, looking forward to hearing about it. I kick myself because we didn't share everything along the way that we should have. I'll be better now and share!

It's an adventure though. I thought I'd have fish in about two months ago, and I'm happy we didn't, so much has changed in two months of how things have went.

Take it slow, do it right - from the beginning!

Unread 05/18/2016, 02:35 PM   #207
EagleI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Thanks! Good luck on your build, looking forward to hearing about it. I kick myself because we didn't share everything along the way that we should have. I'll be better now and share!

It's an adventure though. I thought I'd have fish in about two months ago, and I'm happy we didn't, so much has changed in two months of how things have went.

Take it slow, do it right - from the beginning!

I agree %100. A reef is a long term investment, build it to last. I can't stress enough how strongly I believe in buying the top of the line equipment because after a couple years, it will always pay off.

And yes, I'll have a thread up in just a few weeks. Great way to take a personal log of your progress whilst sharing and learning from the community.

EagleI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 08:13 PM   #208
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleI View Post
I agree %100. A reef is a long term investment, build it to last. I can't stress enough how strongly I believe in buying the top of the line equipment because after a couple years, it will always pay off.

And yes, I'll have a thread up in just a few weeks. Great way to take a personal log of your progress whilst sharing and learning from the community.

Absolutely, we are extremely happy with all of the purchases we've made so far. Can't wait to get everything up and running.

Can't wait to follow your thread, let us know when it's up and going, we will tag along!

Unread 05/23/2016, 11:24 AM   #209
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Well, fish didn't go in over the weekend as we planned, they ARE going in Thursday night.

Reason #1 - Jeremy has to finish buffing the outside of the tank and we ran out of Novus. I don't want to put the fish in, then scare the crap out of them running a buffer for awhile. So, need to get that done first.

Reason #2 - we are emptying most of the tank into brutes tonight, all but about 2-3 inches of water. We need to get more sand out, and cleans off the rocks, they're covered too. Yes yes yes, this could all be done with water in, but with no tank mates.... Why not prevent a major dust storm?

I'll take pics tonight, should be interesting. While the tanks empty I'm taking the opp to glue some rocks together that I missed the first time around. (Also could be done with water in, but easier to deal without it). We are using the Tunze coral gum I believe it's called. I'll let you know what we think of it.

Unread 05/23/2016, 08:46 PM   #210
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Not so impressed with the tunze coral gum. Apparently I need to look up how to use it for rock work, it made a "base" for the rock to sit in, but was hoping for more structural glue type.

Tank was emptied, sand fixed, and refilled. Holy POD's galore!! Tank is full of them. Great to see it.

Unread 05/23/2016, 08:49 PM   #211
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Tried putting on our MP40's (new) on our back 3/4". Guess what? The magnets don't even catch each other barely. When they do... The wet and dry side both slide to the bottom of the tank. I am on my way next to email eco tech, will keep you updated.

Unread 05/24/2016, 06:31 AM   #212
McPuff
Registered Member

I recommend D & D Aquascape putty. I used to always use Water Weld putty but the DD stuff is better. It is already a coraline algae color, it's tackier in water, and it sticks without the aid of super glue gel. I don't think I'll go back to Water Weld.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 07:56 AM   #213
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I recommend D & D Aquascape putty. I used to always use Water Weld putty but the DD stuff is better. It is already a coraline algae color, it's tackier in water, and it sticks without the aid of super glue gel. I don't think I'll go back to Water Weld.

Thanks! I'll be ordering some this week. For the price of the coral gum, I guess I'll keep it around for frags.

Disclaimer: it could be user error. But it didn't hold the rocks together at all, only made a nice footing for the rock to settle into. Positive - it's coraline color.

Unread 05/24/2016, 10:49 AM   #214
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Big news!!!! We're getting something done AHEAD of schedule! Fish are going in.... TONIGHT! I cannot wait.

MP40's are a no go on our 3/4" panel on the back. Really really bummed about this. Bummed broke the seal on the packaging so def can't return them. Not sure what to go to for a replacement. We will have to start researching options. MP40's do fine on the side panels, 5/8". Not as strong as i had hoped, but they work. If they start to fall off like stories I've heard of, we may switch all 4 out to something different. We shall see!

Unread 05/24/2016, 12:00 PM   #215
dave.m
Registered Member

Does the outside part open up? Can you put a stronger magnet inside? (would definitely nuke any warranty). You could also sell them as used pumps and get some of your money back.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:20 PM   #216
MrsReefK
Registered Member

I have a call into Ecotech before we look at other options. Not sure what they'll suggest being its not 1 that's not working or faulty. It's all 4 that won't stay. I'll keep y'all updated with what they say. They requested pictures of measuring the thickness of the pain and of our setup, sent those over to them this morning.

Unread 05/24/2016, 08:13 PM   #217
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

WE HAVE FISH!!

Powder brown tang
Starry Blenny
Two clowns (1 orange/1 black)

Bristle star to the fuge
To the DT:
Blue tuxedo
Few hermits
Two cleaner shrimp

We have official life in the tank guys!

Chaeto is in the mail and hitting the fuge Friday.

Unread 05/24/2016, 08:22 PM   #218
reefchile
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Big news!!!! We're getting something done AHEAD of schedule! Fish are going in.... TONIGHT! I cannot wait.

MP40's are a no go on our 3/4" panel on the back. Really really bummed about this. Bummed broke the seal on the packaging so def can't return them. Not sure what to go to for a replacement. We will have to start researching options. MP40's do fine on the side panels, 5/8". Not as strong as i had hoped, but they work. If they start to fall off like stories I've heard of, we may switch all 4 out to something different. We shall see!

Did you asked to ecotech marine? They say MP40 works for 0,75 inches!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

reefchile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 08:25 PM   #219
reefchile
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefchile View Post

I already see your least email.
I hope they support you on this.

reefchile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 08:26 PM   #220
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefchile View Post

Yes, they requested pictures of the thickness of panel with a ruler and pictures of the setup. They are supposed to be getting back with me.

Unread 05/25/2016, 06:11 PM   #221
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Verdict is in. Ecotech confirmed the MP40s aren't going to work on our 3/4" tank. They said we "must be slightly over 3/4". Picture def shows it being at or even slightly under.

Bummed. We opened all 4 packages to see if they'd work. Now we can't return them. Looks like two will be going up for sale.

Unread 05/30/2016, 05:18 AM   #222
MrReefK
Registered Member

I used I micrometer to check the thickness today. .735 thick I would think they would under rate them a little bit not over rate there product. We both thought a lot of ecotech before this "look at all we have bought from them" and all they can say is yep there not going to work! The least they could do is offer our money back because we open them to try them we can't take them back. I guess mo60 will hold but I don't really want that big of a head showing nor do I want to shell out the cash that kind of cash to ecotech again.

So I'm looking for other ideas for power heads now. I like the idea of 2 gyre 150 on each end of the tank tank. Anyone out there with a 300 gallon tank running 2 of these?? Do you think 2 is enough flow?

MrReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 09:30 AM   #223
conan75
Registered Member

I am putting a 300 gallon 10'x24"x26" in my dining room and I am using 2 gyre 150s in it...I bought one for my 135 gallon to see how good it is and I am extremely impressed...I had 3 of the high end Sicce powerheads in my 135 and the gyre replaced them all and the water flow is noticeably better with just its self running...I will have one on each end hooked to a wave maker..simple and very effective...

conan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 10:57 AM   #224
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Yeah I wouldnt trust Ecotech on their spec limitations. Some time back people with glass Leemar tanks reported something similar as you got closer to that .75 inch threshhold. Heck on my smallerLeeamar I adjusted the spacers exactly as required via instructions, yet the magnet was a bit too strong, and actually pulled too hard on the wet side pulling the entire impeller assembly through the plastic housing... and yeah they tried to blame me on that too

Unread 05/31/2016, 09:57 AM   #225
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan75 View Post
I am putting a 300 gallon 10'x24"x26" in my dining room and I am using 2 gyre 150s in it...I bought one for my 135 gallon to see how good it is and I am extremely impressed...I had 3 of the high end Sicce powerheads in my 135 and the gyre replaced them all and the water flow is noticeably better with just its self running...I will have one on each end hooked to a wave maker..simple and very effective...

Awesome! We are really leaning towards these. Glad to hear you've had good experience.