Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2016, 06:43 PM   #2726
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155hp View Post
Do you think the 200 would be consistent as well. I don't run carbon either to keep organic phospate a little on the higher sides and just small a amount of gfo to reduce inorganic phospate. Like would I be able to dial down the 200 and still get the consistency with having all that headroom if I decide to go crazy with fish
It should. As Corey suggested, you may need to run it deeper or at a higher pump speed depending on the number of fish, size of them and how much you feed. Every tank is different but the general rule of thumb is that the lighter the load relative to the skimmer, the wetter you need to run it. Keep in mind that a truly heavy load would be upwards of 1/2" of fish per gallon of display volume.. For example, 100 clown fish or 100 cardinals In a 200 gallon display would be a fairly heavy load. Of course that is a generalization based on small fish. When you get into larger fish like tangs for example, girth is also a factor as is amount of food going into the tank. All of which can make it hard to quantify a true heavy load..

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 02/18/2016 at 06:53 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 07:55 PM   #2727
s2nhle
Registered Member

wow, very educational thread. Tagging along as i have dc 180 with rd3 pump.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 07:58 PM   #2728
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2nhle View Post
wow, very educational thread. Tagging along as i have dc 180 with rd3 pump.
Don't forget, we also have a dedicated Royal Exclusiv Bubble King Forum here at Reef Central that's monitored 7 days a week.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/18/2016, 08:13 PM   #2729
Chris155hp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
It should. As Corey suggested, you may need to run it deeper or at a higher pump speed depending on the number of fish, size of them and how much you feed. Every tank is different but the general rule of thumb is that the lighter the load relative to the skimmer, the wetter you need to run it. Keep in mind that a truly heavy load would be upwards of 1/2" of fish per gallon of display volume.. For example, 100 clown fish or 100 cardinals In a 200 gallon display would be a fairly heavy load. Of course that is a generalization based on small fish. When you get into larger fish like tangs for example, girth is also a factor as is amount of food going into the tank. All of which can make it hard to quantify a true heavy load..
so a 180 would be better suited for 20-25 fish with medium feeding?

Chris155hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 09:31 PM   #2730
biecacka
Registered Member

Yes, I do believe so. It will "break in" in no time and be cranking out stinky skim!

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 10:24 PM   #2731
Chris155hp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Yes, I do believe so. It will "break in" in no time and be cranking out stinky skim!

corey
I'm just thrown off that the 180 DC is advertised as UP TO 132gal while have a 180 DT and 200-220 gal water volume

Unread 02/18/2016, 11:48 PM   #2732
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I'm just thrown off that the 180 DC is advertised as UP TO 132gal while have a 180 DT and 200-220 gal water volume
First, you need to go by display volume because that is where the load is concentrated. Skimmers that are properly rated are based on presumed loads. Our sumps and refugiums contribute to load removal as opposed to increasing the loads in our systems. This is why I always suggest basing skimmer choices on the display size and not the system size.

The Double Cone 180 is under rated meaning it can handle a larger display than it's rated for. Even so, the max rating is based on a heavy load. 25-30 fish isn't a lot of fish depending of course on the size of the fish. The bigger the skimmer, the larger the neck diameter and the greater the need for more dissolved organics to generate enough foam to fill the neck consistently. These skimmers are extremely efficient. Like I said, you could go either way. The Double Cone 200 will support a heavier load in your display. That said, if it were me, I would probably go with the Double Cone 200 but like I said, you could go either way.

Unread 02/19/2016, 12:07 AM   #2733
biecacka
Registered Member

Premium aquatics lists the DC 180 for tanks 160 gallons and heavily stocked....so that is right in line with your 180DT size. As Slief said, you really want to base the skimmer on the DT some not the whole set up size. One thing I would recommend is to check out how deep you can run the skimmer in your sump. I say this because if you with the DC200 you might need to run it a bit deeper, I run mine about 1.5-2inches deeper than they suggested for it because even with 30 fish my load is light for the skimmer. So it sits in 10in of water and that lets me keep the wedge more open and speed lower. If you can run yours that deep or deeper you should be fine, if not than maybe consider the 180 only for consistent skimming.
Or I could be wrong!!!! Slief can really be the one to confirm that or confirm I have no real idea on what I'm talking about!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2016, 08:58 AM   #2734
Chris155hp
Registered Member

So think I'm going to go with the dc200. Thanks guys for all your help! Just had an idea to help others. Does anyone know the body/neck & skimmer cup diameters of the 180dc and 200dc as I can't find that anywhere and my help others compare models

Unread 02/22/2016, 09:38 AM   #2735
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So think I'm going to go with the dc200. Thanks guys for all your help! Just had an idea to help others. Does anyone know the body/neck & skimmer cup diameters of the 180dc and 200dc as I can't find that anywhere and my help others compare models
Chris - If you were interested to check out the skimmer first hand, we're in Fort Myers, FL - Exit 131 off of I-75. By appointment, but more than welcome.

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2016, 09:47 AM   #2736
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The body and and cup diameters are 180mm and 200mm respectively.

Unread 02/22/2016, 10:57 AM   #2737
Chris155hp
Registered Member

Quote:
The body and and cup diameters are 180mm and 200mm respectively.
Is that for the collection cups or the actual inner Skiming wall

Unread 02/22/2016, 02:45 PM   #2738
slief
RC Sponsor

Collection Cup diameter and body diameter. I don't have the neck diameter measurements. Maybe Marco can measure them at the shop. That said, the neck diameter is optimized for the body shape of the skimmer so it's kind of irrelevant with these skimmers. The most important factor is choosing the skimmer based on display size and load and not oversizing them as they are conservatively rated.

Unread 02/22/2016, 10:30 PM   #2739
lantonini
Registered Member

Just got my used BK160 mini today. All I can say is this thing I very silent compared to the euroreef I had in. So far very happy with that. Now a quick question. What are you all doing about draining the cup? I had a line plumbed from my old skimmer to a drain pipe and never needed to remove unless the for cleaning. This seems like a 1/2" pressure fitted hole. Can anyone help me figure this out? Also it is going in my 40br sump I would think I need to build a stand to get the drain plug above the tank to drain out or should I place on floor of sump and drill out the sump and pass a pipe thru it and seal around it?
Thanks for the help

lantonini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2016, 11:44 PM   #2740
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantonini View Post
Just got my used BK160 mini today. All I can say is this thing I very silent compared to the euroreef I had in. So far very happy with that. Now a quick question. What are you all doing about draining the cup? I had a line plumbed from my old skimmer to a drain pipe and never needed to remove unless the for cleaning. This seems like a 1/2" pressure fitted hole. Can anyone help me figure this out? Also it is going in my 40br sump I would think I need to build a stand to get the drain plug above the tank to drain out or should I place on floor of sump and drill out the sump and pass a pipe thru it and seal around it?
Thanks for the help
There is a good chance that by the time the cup is full, you'd want to pull it off to give the neck a quick rinse. Just in case that isn't the case for you -
we have the following outlet elbow spare part in inventory, and while it isn't made for the Mini's, with a little bit of push it will friction fit into the hole on the side of the cup. YMMV

http://royalexclusiv.com/Spare-Parts...arin::293.html

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 09:52 PM   #2741
lantonini
Registered Member

Thanks for that. Any special tricks I should know about this little beast? I have the water just under the water line and in 1 day it has about 1/2" dark skim. How offer should I pull apart and clean it? Do you sell replacement screws incase these break or get lost during cleaning?
Thanks.

Unread 02/23/2016, 10:41 PM   #2742
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantonini View Post
Thanks for that. Any special tricks I should know about this little beast? I have the water just under the water line and in 1 day it has about 1/2" dark skim. How offer should I pull apart and clean it? Do you sell replacement screws incase these break or get lost during cleaning?
Thanks.
Clean the collection cup every couple weeks to a month depending on how much gunk is building up in the neck. As for replacement screws, don't loose them. They should be easy enough to keep track of.

Unread 02/24/2016, 09:01 PM   #2743
lantonini
Registered Member

Just because you said not to lose them I bet 1 is gone first cleaning. Thanks again. Day 2 about 1" full. Nice thick foam and I still can't believe how quiet this really is

Unread 02/25/2016, 05:35 AM   #2744
Zweebe
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I'm planning to build up a new SPS system in few months, but I'm still thinking about the skimmer. It will be a 390g.

Some friends advice me Deltec SC2560 or Nyos Quantum 300. But a well known shop here in Belgium advice me Bulbble King Supermarin 250, but I don't really know the difference between BBK and others skimmers, can you light up this thing for me? :-)

As BBK is pretty expensive, I really want to be sure about my choice :-)

Thanks!

Zweebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 10:15 AM   #2745
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweebe View Post
Hey guys,

I'm planning to build up a new SPS system in few months, but I'm still thinking about the skimmer. It will be a 390g.

Some friends advice me Deltec SC2560 or Nyos Quantum 300. But a well known shop here in Belgium advice me Bulbble King Supermarin 250, but I don't really know the difference between BBK and others skimmers, can you light up this thing for me? :-)

As BBK is pretty expensive, I really want to be sure about my choice :-)

Thanks!
I think the shop in Belgium gave you gread advice as they are recommending a very high quality skimmer. I too would suggest the Supermarin 250 over the others. The Bubble Kings RD3 controllable pump is far superior to the other skimmers pumps. It allows much finer control and is absolutely silent and very efficient. Then there is the material quality of the Supermarin which is also far superior. They are made of very thick acrylic and weigh nearly double of that of the other brand skimmers that are comparable. I use a Supermarin 250 on my display and it's by far one of the best skimmers I have ever owned. Not only does it produce consistent nasty skimmate but it's also silent. The Supermarin 250 with the RD3 pump tends to run best with the pump set to between 36 and 38 watts and between 8 & 9" of sump depth.

Unread 02/25/2016, 01:45 PM   #2746
Zweebe
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the shop in Belgium gave you gread advice as they are recommending a very high quality skimmer. I too would suggest the Supermarin 250 over the others. The Bubble Kings RD3 controllable pump is far superior to the other skimmers pumps. It allows much finer control and is absolutely silent and very efficient. Then there is the material quality of the Supermarin which is also far superior. They are made of very thick acrylic and weigh nearly double of that of the other brand skimmers that are comparable. I use a Supermarin 250 on my display and it's by far one of the best skimmers I have ever owned. Not only does it produce consistent nasty skimmate but it's also silent. The Supermarin 250 with the RD3 pump tends to run best with the pump set to between 36 and 38 watts and between 8 & 9" of sump depth.
I think you almost convinced me!

But what about the Skimming performance? Is it far better than other good skimmer like Deltec or Nyos? I mean, is the BBK are skimming more bad elements than others?

Zweebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 02:07 PM   #2747
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweebe View Post
I think you almost convinced me!

But what about the Skimming performance? Is it far better than other good skimmer like Deltec or Nyos? I mean, is the BBK are skimming more bad elements than others?
I will say the Bubble King is arguably more efficient at removing dissolved organics but pretty much all great skimmers can only remove so much of them. The Bubble King might do it a bit faster. At the end of the day, Bubble Kings are about the best skimmer in their class in every respect. I say this as a bubble king user who paid for his skimmer full price and has used countless other skimmers over the last 30 years.

Unread 03/19/2016, 09:10 PM   #2748
MadsDK
Registered Member

I am looking at a new skimmer for my 80 gallon tank and I think i have narrowed it down to either a Bk Double cone 150 or 180 with the speedy pump. I know that the 180 is way oversized but I just like the idea of controlling it with a DC pump. What would you guys suggest ?

MadsDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2016, 10:06 PM   #2749
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsDK View Post
I am looking at a new skimmer for my 80 gallon tank and I think i have narrowed it down to either a Bk Double cone 150 or 180 with the speedy pump. I know that the 180 is way oversized but I just like the idea of controlling it with a DC pump. What would you guys suggest ?
Tough call. The 180 is oversized for your tank and may not be consistent unless you run it really wet but the RD3 Speedy pump does make it a dream to tune. If you had a really heavy load, it wouldn't be too bad though. A Mini 160 would work real well too. The Double Cone 150 can be a little tougher to tune. You just need to find the best balance between sump depth and volute adjustment. I think I would go with the mini 160 before the double cone 150. The 180 would be nice but like I said, you will need to run it fairly wet which isn't a horrible alternative. The Mini 160 would be set it and forget it with the only downside being that you have to take the skimmer apart to clean the pump.

Unread 03/20/2016, 11:46 AM   #2750
UWUALineman
Registered Member

Mads, do the 180. I put it on my 60 cube because I was tired of having to fiddle with the 150 after shutting it down and wanted to get the hang of the DC pump before my 93G goes online.
The foam will go idle at times but it still works. And running wet does help. The DC RD3 Speedy is super simple to use. It's the best skimmer I've used and I'm looking forward to seeing it at its full potential when I finally finish my upgrade.

UWUALineman is offline   Reply With Quote