Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2018, 08:47 PM   #51
reefmutt
Registered Member

Oh nice!!
I never ever see lokani anymore..
I haven’t seen lokani around here literally in years.
Not sure that’s lokani but it’s nice!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 09:46 PM   #52
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Oh nice!!
I never ever see lokani anymore..
I haven’t seen lokani around here literally in years.
Not sure that’s lokani but it’s nice!
Honestly even am not sure if it's a lokani or a suharsonai . Came in all brown and green . Took like 2 months and looking good only now .

I do find lokani and suharsonai but not many yellow ones

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 08:31 PM   #53
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

So thought of making a video of tank. The focus is off as am horrible with vieos and photos but you get the idea.

As I mature along with my reef tank , i realize that less is always more in this hobby. Running just a skimmer although its one of the best in its class I believe and nothing else for filtration . Lights are still Geisemann 250 watt megachrome crystal - simply love it more than radiums even ! Doesn't wash out purples and blues and very crisp .

Stopped all coral foods and increased fish feeding to 4 times a day and a daily feed of phyto at night .

Dropped temparature of reef to 76 and increased ALK to 8 - 8.5 .

Effect is that my blue start leopard is transitioning into male. Its not often I have seen leopards transitioning without females in young tanks like mine. So am pretty stoked about it .

Acros are showing amazing PE with high nutrients and high flow I think. I have 1 gyre , 2 Tunze 6095s, 1 6055, 1 6040, 1 6105 and a gyre + a return seaswirl and still feel flow is not enough. Might add another gyre. Don't know about turnovers but I feel - the more indirect flow the better . Am not stopping unless my fishes are pinned to the glass . After talking to some of the successful acro growers and other experienced anthias and wrasse keepers , it makes me realise that flow should be ripping !

Also, my black knight torch from reefraft have grown into 5 heads now which is amazing - thats the only torch I like !

Today's nitrates are 24 ppm and PO4 around 0.27 .

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited by abhishek@1985; 02/10/2018 at 08:41 PM.
Unread 02/12/2018, 09:41 PM   #54
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Sanjay's leprechaun's Beard after heavy feeding of tank with mysis , LRS and a few drops of Oyester feast

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 02/13/2018, 08:58 AM   #55
Pife
Registered Member

Look at that hairy beast! I always find it incredible how fuzzy acros can get. Nice job.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 11:24 PM   #56
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Wow your purples reaaly jump out.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 09:29 AM   #57
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Look at that hairy beast! I always find it incredible how fuzzy acros can get. Nice job.
Thanks man !! Yeah its one of my most favorite acros . Everytime I feed the tank heavily which is 4 times a day , it gives the feeding response . i hope its feeding response and not irritation :P

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 02/14/2018, 09:31 AM   #58
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Wow your purples reaaly jump out.
Thanks man !!! Its the blues and purples for which I switched bulbs from radiums to geisemann . Radiums or other lights like T5s and leds seemed to wash out purples and blues !
Some of my favorite old TOTMs had screaming blues and purples and pinks as they used xm 10000K bulbs . I want to go that route and making slow changes !

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 02/14/2018, 09:33 AM   #59
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Lately my bubble King has been in complete sync , pulling out some of the nastiest skimmate I have ever seen ! I have used many skimmers from Deltec, Vertex to reef Octopus but bubble King seems to be in a league of its own !
No wonder you pay so much for such amazing craftsmanship and capability .
This is just in less than 36 hrs of complete cleaning and skimmer is in lowest setting to skim dry !!!

Funny bunch we are - getting excited over poop

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 02/14/2018, 08:50 PM   #60
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Thanks man !!! Its the blues and purples for which I switched bulbs from radiums to geisemann . Radiums or other lights like T5s and leds seemed to wash out purples and blues !
Some of my favorite old TOTMs had screaming blues and purples and pinks as they used xm 10000K bulbs . I want to go that route and making slow changes !

Regards,
Abhishek
Man I miss the TOTM articles. Why have they not been brought back

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 09:02 PM   #61
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Man I miss the TOTM articles. Why have they not been brought back
Man I agree !!! So much to learn from those TOTM . I keep reading all the TOTM from 2005 sometimes just to refresh my basics .

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 06/16/2018, 10:22 AM   #62
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Long awaiting update. For the most part , tank is doing great. I have almost successfully removed all non-sps except for a frogspawn thats hosted by my clowns .

Few changes happened and most of it had pretty positive impact . First was the lights - instead of running of 2x250 geissemann crystals , I moved to 4 KZ bulbs with 2 reefbrite leds and a single 250 watt halide.
A few months back came across a trio of 10K xm 250 watt bulbs. If you have been long enough in the hobby you must have heard xm name. Their 10K were PAR monsters ! I was a die hard fan in the past of xm bulbs and couldn't pass on them considering xm SE bulbs are not made any more.
So, replaced my geissemann's with one of the xms . When the light came on , it brought back a lot of memories - memories of why I was captivated as a young boy by the warm afternoon looks of a midday reef .. realised how much I missed the warm yellow/ white of the 10K halides.
And honestly the acros seemed to love them crazily .

Simplified but increased the flow even more so in the tank. Now I run a MP40, a tunze 6105, 2 x 6095s and a seaswirl in the tank and boy !!! Its a small fraction of ocean there

Lastly, I always thought my honda generator was the most amazing piece of equipment i bought for my reef until I hooked my sexy new Geosreef 618 with secondary chamber and carbon doser ! Man, I haven't had my alk swing more than 0.2 in probably 3 months ..

And all usual nutrients keep piling up. Last time it was around 30-35 ppm nitrates and phosphates around 0.26
Stiff brown turf red hair algae all over but the rate at which my acros are growing with calcium reactor and xm 10K bulbs, I dont wanna complain .. I let my algae flourish when my acros flourish too .

This is how tank looks when guests come home

https://youtu.be/oDreCSpX0jA

This is how tank looks when I am around . This is one of 4-5 feedings for a day . No wonder am growing heaps of red hair algae and turf algae

https://youtu.be/v44xGpirS_8

This is after a couple of haircuts all my acros received in less than a month back .. Honestly, I can't think of a day when my tank won't be lit by halides . You can really get used to seeing midday shallow reef all day

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 06/16/2018, 04:39 PM   #63
George_n_Joanne
Registered Member

Beautiful shot. I love that coral.

George_n_Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 06:40 PM   #64
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

My vote is video #2! I have my reef closer to this and I love it. It just looks more natural to me. Great tank!

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 12:30 PM   #65
Piper27
I love bengals

The 10k xms are amazing bulbs and the blues you can get with this bulb are better than a tank lit by all blue leds I love seeing posts where people appreciate the 10k xms! Beautiful tank too!

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 08:13 PM   #66
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

It has been so long since I updated my build thread that it was difficult even for me to find it lol !!!

Tank has been cruising along, no maintenance except for biweekly water changes and feeding the fish . With work crazy busy and traveling for work having increased, even the smallest chore of cleaning skimmer cup was becoming difficult. Wife hates to clean it !
So an Avast Marine swabbie is like God sent !

With the Avast Marine swabbie and calcium reactor online and tuned, its all about just letting the reef tank ride on its own. Growth has been pretty decent and any faster would make my wife go nuts . She's the one who takes care of things when am away !

Oh from equipment side , I did add the last Tunze 6095. So 3 6095s and 1 6105 ... Sometimes when all the 4 collide , fun to see the fishes pinned to the opposite glass !!! Still running 10K halides . I see no reason to move to only T5s or leds as I don't believe I can gain anything more from color perspective .

On the side of livestock, only new fish added was the convict tang. Was in pretty bad shape with malnutrition when I got him. Now slowly coming back to life .
Also removed the huge chunk of plating montiporas at the far right end to make room for acros. Slowly but surely, tank is being overtaken by almost acroporas and am loving it !
Still atleast 8 acros that need real estate and dont have any ..

Anyways short update and until next time - HAPPY REEFING

Somehow I love videos more - partly because I don't have a digital camera and partly because am super lazy when photographing my reef and with videos there's practically no editing necessary lol !!!!

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited by abhishek@1985; 08/13/2018 at 08:34 PM.