Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2006, 09:45 AM   #326
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

More pics of corals looking good after dip #3:

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian

Current Tank Info: 45 g hex- 50 lbs LR, Softies, Clams, LPS, wet dry, berlin skimmer w/150 watt HQI. 55 g SPS- 90 lbs LR w/ 20 g caulerpa fuge, 35 g cheato fuge w/ 98w PC. 2x 400 watt XM 20k,Berlin XL skimmer, Intermatic timer on pumps for wave action
Stoney Mahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2006, 09:47 AM   #327
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

And heres a little vid:

Serj Tankian

Current Tank Info: 45 g hex- 50 lbs LR, Softies, Clams, LPS, wet dry, berlin skimmer w/150 watt HQI. 55 g SPS- 90 lbs LR w/ 20 g caulerpa fuge, 35 g cheato fuge w/ 98w PC. 2x 400 watt XM 20k,Berlin XL skimmer, Intermatic timer on pumps for wave action
Unread 09/03/2006, 08:17 PM   #328
Neptune777
Premium Member

So Stoney.....have you seen any signs of FW's since you started treatment? Do you have an updated pic of the valida that was missing everything but the polyps?

I have just about everything together for my 30 cube....this project is taking forever it seems.....most likely I can start treatment tomorrow......have you lost any colonies to the Fluke Tabs?

By the way.......your corals look great considering what they have been through lately!

Neptune777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2006, 09:26 PM   #329
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

I'lll take another pic of that valida frag tommorrow morning and post it up. To answer your question, no...no signs of flat worms or red bugs since my first dip. I havent lost any colonies to the fluke tab dip. The only one I fragged up was the Valida and thats b/c the fw's had decimated the colony before I noticed them and I really didn't expect it(or the frags) to live. To my surprise I havent lost one frag yet, even though there in a completely new system and some are missing tissue from the fw's, the polyps are still present and fully extended.

All corals show FPE within about 45 minutes after being placed back in the QT tank, even though your plunging and dipping and doing all that aggervation to the coral. I left a valida frag in the dip for three hours today and it showed FPE in less than an hour. I don't think you will have any problems with it hurting your corals. I would definately do a trial dip before you dip every single coral but at the dosage I described, I have seen absolutly no harm whatsoever.

One thing I changed is I added a small nano cube pump to the 5gal bucket with the fluke tab dip. The tabs stay suspended for a while but when your dipping corals for hours, it falls out of suspension and gathers on the bottom. Any small pump for minimal circulation will work good. OR you can just mix it back up with something in between dips, that will probobly work just as good. I even had a bunch of the fluke stuff fall out of suspension and was half way covering a valida frag. It did no harm to it. I love this stuff, I hope you get the same results!!!!!!!!! Good luck !!

Serj Tankian

Unread 09/04/2006, 01:02 PM   #330
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune777
So Stoney.....have you seen any signs of FW's since you started treatment? Do you have an updated pic of the valida that was missing everything but the polyps?
Here is a pic of the valida frag I took a few hours ago, I can already see hints of flourescent green showing up in the coralites:

I think this Tort is doing fine after 3 dips and being moved into a brand new tank:

Serj Tankian

Unread 09/04/2006, 01:25 PM   #331
clkwrk
Registered Member

Looking good.

I wonder how Tracy Gray got rid of his back in the day ?He says down under livestock that he delt with them but didn't say how.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

Unread 09/04/2006, 11:57 PM   #332
beapeams
Registered Member

Well I tried the Stoney Method today. Let me tell you after I completed the process and removed enough water out of the 5 gallon bucket to see what was at the bottom clearly, I was shocked. It must have been at least a hundred AEFW laying dead at the bottom. I let the bucket sit for at least two hours after that and it appeared to be no movement from the AEFW. They were really beginning to move fast on my Acro's. I did a treatment today just to buy me time. My QT won't have adequate lighting until this weekend. So I did the treatment and had to put them back in my display. I will repeat the in a week and move them over to the QT. i did see polyp extension from the majority of them within a hour of going back in the tank. I inspected all corals and saw no visible sign of AEFW after treatment. Hopefully this will give me just enough time to get the QT together. Like I stated before I just started SPS a few months ago, and all my corals are still pretty small (they all fit in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket). I really feel for those who have had SPS tanks for years and get AEFW, it must seem like an impossible task.

Thanks Stoney for your inital trial and error. I will keep you guys posted. I have a Tri color (blue/purplish tips, tan body, and green polyps) and a blue tort that got hit rhe worst. I will snap shots of them and keep a photo diary of them. hopefully they recover. But I am not holding out hope. I feel the rest will they were just starting to show signs of damage at the base.

Current Tank Info: 125g Tank, 70g Sump, 1050 wats of halides, SPS tank
beapeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2006, 09:57 AM   #333
Neptune777
Premium Member

I tried it as well on a few test pieces.....while I did not get any AEFW's (I inspected each frag over and over) from them I was amazed as to how many Red Planaria I had in the rocks they were attached to.....they came out/off like crazy in the dip (I did 2 tabs vs. 4 per 5gal just to be safe....I will do the full 4 next time). I am wondering if I only have Red Planaria and I mis-diagnosed because they were so nuked from my first Lugols dip it was hard to tell exactly what kind of FW they were....(I only found 2 at that time).

I still plan on dipping in Fluke Tabs and doing a QT (plus I will use FWE on the main system for the Planaria). The corals looked great after the dip (little to no stress or color loss, and Polyps out after a half hour or so...) From waht I have seen and experienced thus far Fluke Tabs work great on Red Planaria.....hopefully I don't even have AEFW's...we'll see

Also, when I get some time I will post some pics maybe this evening...

Unread 09/06/2006, 05:42 AM   #334
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beapeams
Well I tried the Stoney Method today. Let me tell you after I completed the process and removed enough water out of the 5 gallon bucket to see what was at the bottom clearly, I was shocked. It must have been at least a hundred AEFW laying dead at the bottom.
Thats what I'm sayin! Who knew there would be soooo many! I was shocked too when I saw how many came off mine.

Quote:
I let the bucket sit for at least two hours after that and it appeared to be no movement from the AEFW. They were really beginning to move fast on my Acro's. I did a treatment today just to buy me time. My QT won't have adequate lighting until this weekend. So I did the treatment and had to put them back in my display. I will repeat the in a week and move them over to the QT.
I had to do the same thing with one colony that had a bunch of eggs in the middle that I could not reach to scrape off. I left it in the display for another week b/c I didn't want to infect the QT tank. I finally was able to get the rest of the eggs off with a long skewer but when I dipped again, I saw no more fw's come off. I think the first dip nuked them all and if there were any on it the second time from going back into the display, they were just to small to see.

Quote:
Hopefully this will give me just enough time to get the QT together.
I think doing the first dip, even though you don't have the qt tank setup was a great idea. And, from how many you said you killed, it sounds like you decimated there population and saved alot of corals from being eatin alive!!

Quote:
Thanks Stoney for your inital trial and error. I will keep you guys posted. I have a Tri color (blue/purplish tips, tan body, and green polyps) and a blue tort that got hit rhe worst. I will snap shots of them and keep a photo diary of them. hopefully they recover. But I am not holding out hope. I feel the rest will they were just starting to show signs of damage at the base.
Your welcome! Glad to hear you are getting the same results and I look forward to seeing pics and hearing about the recovery.

Serj Tankian

Unread 09/06/2006, 11:30 AM   #335
melev
Moved On

Stoney Mahony, I think I'm going to be trying your method based on your pictures, video, and overall lack of losses.

I thought I read ealier that there are various Fluke tabs out there. Can you give us the exact brand you are using? I think the rest of the information about dosages is already posted here.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2006, 11:51 AM   #336
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Sure thing Melev, the brand is Aquarium Products - Fluke Tabs(I actually posted a pic of the 10 pack on my first post with 3/4 of an interceptor tab sitting on it). They sell them in 10ct, 100ct, or 1000ct packs so depending on how big of a dipping container you are using, you can buy all you need. I think 10 go for $2 somethin and 100 go for around $20. I know you will be very happy with the outcome(I sure am) .

Serj Tankian

Unread 09/07/2006, 05:03 AM   #337
redox
Registered Member

me too

well stoney all I can say is your the man!!! your process really works and.. there were no ill effects to my acros. I am going to set up three small tanks that I will run any newly aquired acros through the dips before they even get to the qt tank. thanks again stoney m

redox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2006, 05:46 AM   #338
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Thanks Redox!!!! Im so freakin happy that others are getting the same results!!!!!! DEATH TO ALL AEFW'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1200 gallans huh, sounds like a whole lotta coral!

Serj Tankian

Unread 09/07/2006, 08:35 AM   #339
Neptune777
Premium Member

Stoney......thx for sharing your experiences with Fluke Tabs and documenting how everything panned out (Pictures speak a 1000 words!) I think this is going to be the treatment of choice for AEFW's and possibly other parasitic pests. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Unread 09/07/2006, 09:45 AM   #340
beapeams
Registered Member

Hey can any of you answer this for me. The light I was suppose to pic up from a friend fell through. Do you think that 3-4 of these would provide enough light on a 30 gallon QT tank for my acros. All acros would be placed near the top of tank. They are HO T5s. Thanks for your help.

T5 Strip light

Unread 09/07/2006, 09:47 AM   #341
Neptune777
Premium Member

I would think that it could sustain them for a QT period....

Unread 09/07/2006, 04:23 PM   #342
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Do you know what the PAR or lumen output is on those lamps?

Neptune: Thanks man!

Serj Tankian

Unread 09/07/2006, 05:19 PM   #343
melev
Moved On

Update

Okay, here's my thinking...

Whatever brought the AEFW in, it was recent. This wasn't something that has been in my tank for a while and suddenly woke up and caused some minimal damage.

I have a feeling it was the RTNing frag a club member brought over that died overnight in my system. I can't prove it, and it doesn't really matter. All I care about is getting these things out of the tank.

I've been watching my other corals like a hawk. I had two other tri-color acros fade, and they were dipped in Betadine solution for 25 minutes. This doesn't solve the problem - it is a stop gap to get more time to circle the wagons. One piece of green slimer has been losing color and less polyp extension. And another pretty piece with blue tips also reacted the same.

So these pieces were dipped today in Betadine solution again, to get the flatworms off. I was hoping to deal with this when I get back from MACNA, but I have a feeling this is a ticking timebomb and I'm already near the 60 second mark. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but rather to indicate the urgency of resolving the problem quickly.

The Tyree frag was dipped again today to see what came off. As far as I could tell, only one flatworm, if at that. Huge ones came off the other three corals I dipped, and I simply can't believe I don't see them prior to the dip. The one that blew out looked like a freakng sail as it tumbled about in the medicated water.

The fluke tabs arrive tomorrow, I've been told.

Unread 09/07/2006, 05:40 PM   #344
starrd27
Registered Member

Marc - I didn't think they liked green slimers!

starrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2006, 06:13 PM   #345
Zoom
Premium Member

Marc- you think the AEFW are everywhere in your tank? .
Are you going to treat the corals in a quarantine tank ?
I don't have them in my tank i did some more dipping on some SPS and O none no AEFW at all But i got cyno

Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2006, 07:37 PM   #346
beapeams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoney Mahony
Do you know what the PAR or lumen output is on those lamps?

Neptune: Thanks man!
I looked at the manufactures site and all it stated was high lumen output. But, after reading more about them on the manufactures site it appears that these are designed to be throw aways. When the bulb is exausted you throw it out. To that is why it is priced around the same price as a bulb.

Since I plan on keeping the QT tank. I will look for another option.
I don't want to have to change fixtures everytime a bulb dies.

Unread 09/07/2006, 08:16 PM   #347
melev
Moved On

I'm going to do some water tests tonight to see if anything else is going on in the system. I don't know that the flatworms are widespread at this time, but they definitely have the ablility to get around.

I received an email from one person who said his Six Line Wrasse helped consume them. I don't know that mine has even seen one, let alone eaten any.

Unread 09/07/2006, 08:29 PM   #348
Zoom
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

I received an email from one person who said his Six Line Wrasse helped consume them. .
May be if you have a dozen of them

Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2006, 09:01 PM   #349
gflat65
Registered Member

When I blasted mine off of the rocks, my purple tang and PJ cardinals ate them with gusto. I never offered any to the mandarin, but I'm sure he'd have loved them, too. They just didn't pick anything off. Good luck with this, Marc. I was there back in March. It's no fun.

Unread 09/07/2006, 09:12 PM   #350
garvondavis14
Registered Member

this is great guys...planning on adding my first acros soon, great info to have before i put any into my tank...keep up the good work

Current Tank Info: marine- 65 BB reef... freshwater- 55g mbuna tank, 20g fry tank, 30g community, 5g planted, 150g red eared slider habitat
garvondavis14 is offline   Reply With Quote